Permission to install PV in Linden Jhb.

pvdw22

Question

Hi all.

I have a friend staying in Linden Jhb who asked me to install a Victron Multiplus II 2.4kW system at his house. I want to help him with the install but I want to do everything according to the rules and regulations out there.

I spoke to one of the consultants at Segen Solar. He told me that Linden may fall under Randburg but was not sure. He said that there is a Permission to install PV form and some forms regarding rules and regulations available at City council. 

Before I stick my head in a bee hive and quote him for the install I would like to know if someone here can maybe push me in the correct direction on where to find the papers or an example I needed for such an application? I will however get the originals if needed. Where can I find the correct route to follow? I prefer to do things the correct way or not at all. I can not see myself installing a system and then drop someone when council tighten the screws to legalize the install.

I do have to admit that I would really like to learn the process as I do think that Tswane will follow and this will teach me the basics of getting legal permission from the authority's.

9 answers to this question

On 2019/10/01 at 7:01 AM, PaulinNorthcliff said:

I'm next door to Linden in, well... I guess the username is a bit of a giveaway... I am completely unaware of any Joburg Metro (Renbeg, Sandton and Roodepoort as well as all the suburbs south and east fall under Joburg Metro) requirements.

Ditto.

This may be something council is considering, but right now there's no forms to fill in just for installing PV. You SHOULD issue a supplementary COC as part of the job. The customer is entitled to ask for that, and needs it for insurance purposes.

It may be different if the property is supplied directly by Eskom, rather than by City Power, but Linden is City Power territory.

Northcliff, all the suburbs of Randbug and Linden all fall under the City of Johannesburg. Should be the same rules everywhere City Power is the supplier.

Hmmmm....

https://powerforum.co.za/topic/2345-joburg-regulations-for-solar/

OK... I don't live in Linden but I live in the same ward in which Linden falls, so I've sent a request for clarification to the Councillor for that ward.

There are no forms available for download via the City Power web site, no mention of solar systems. What there is a form to apply to become a reseller. So maybe this is the root of the confusion, that if you want to sell back then you need to work with City Power to get the right meter installed (if it isn't already) and to make sure the system is correctly connected to the grid.

I'll add that I would expect such a regulation soon. I know a cowboy who has installed his own system (says he went off grid for R14K) who has no COC for the work done, and I have no idea (and neither does he) if the system will continue to export power when the grid connection goes down. Which it shouldn't, as the grid connection may be down because technicians have turned it off and thus do not expect any current on the cables they are working on.

So eventually it's going to get to the point where solar installations WITH A CONNECTION TO THE GRID are going to require some sort of approval.

21 hours ago, Bobster said:

OK... I don't live in Linden but I live in the same ward in which Linden falls, so I've sent a request for clarification to the Councillor for that ward.

She has replied that she is not aware of any formal process that needs to be followed.

21 hours ago, Bobster said:

I know a cowboy who has installed his own system (says he went off grid for R14K) who has no COC for the work done, and I have no idea (and neither does he) if the system will continue to export power when the grid connection goes down.

Okay, I am a bit confused here, How can he be exporting if he went off grid? What does he export to?

1 hour ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

Okay, I am a bit confused here, How can he be exporting if he went off grid? What does he export to?

He says he's off grid. He has 4 panels on his roof.

I don't KNOW, but I strongly suspect he's not truly off grid - not for that amount of money and with that number of panels. OK... he's not off grid using solar and only solar. Maybe he has a generator kicking in.

1 hour ago, PaulinNorthcliff said:

My concern is that we may awaken a sleeping dog.

Well, see my earlier post. It seems to me to be reasonable and to be expected that COJ will introduce some sort of regulation around such installations, if only to ensure that you don't send power back down the cable supplying your house when technicians working in the area expect the lines to be dead.

The other thing, of course, is how they will know? Get a drone to fly over suburb by suburb and take photos which they can use to spot solar systems? More likely they will proclaim a regulation at some point and require people with pre-existing systems to declare them.

On 2019/09/30 at 7:57 PM, pvdw22 said:

He told me that Linden may fall under Randburg but was not sure. He said that there is a Permission to install PV form and some forms regarding rules and regulations available at City council. 

Whether Linden is or isn't part of Randburg (I'm not sure) doesn't matter, by the way. It falls under the City Of Johannesburg metro area, is supplied by City Power and is subject to COJ regulations. So if what you want to do is legal in Northcliff or Emmarentia then it's legal in Linden. Assuming he's not living in some sectional title complex where there's a body corporate to deal with as well.

1 hour ago, Bobster said:

Well, see my earlier post. It seems to me to be reasonable and to be expected that COJ will introduce some sort of regulation around such installations, if only to ensure that you don't send power back down the cable supplying your house when technicians working in the area expect the lines to be dead.

Which commercially available inverter DOESN'T have anti-islanding as a non-optional design feature?

15 minutes ago, PaulinNorthcliff said:

Which commercially available inverter DOESN'T have anti-islanding as a non-optional design feature?

No idea. But think of the sort of things that could be done.  I used to have one of those inverter and battery boxes that would kick in when the grid went down. What's to stop somebody trying to contrive their own system using that sort of device with the addition of solar panels and an MPPT? Or doing a quick and dirty fix to a blown inverter? 

We might argue on how long a shot these scenarios are, but it would not strike me as unreasonable if COJ applied an inspection and sign-off process for alternative power sources in a home that is connected to the grid.

WOW guys!! Fantastic reply's and info here.

I prefer to install the Multiplus II as it is NRS approved and anti is-landing is up to speck. I will rewire the old DB board completely and I will COC the the property including the PV system as a whole.

We will go grid tie but no back feed, to be on the safe side I will run ESS with a 50W import all the time. This system is not a get off the grid attempt but a proper daytime solar consumption and nighttime battery backup in case is mains failure. As battery capacity grow self consumption will also grow for evening/night use.

Thanks again for great reply's.