Parallel issue with different firmwares

JacquesVDM

Hi guys. 

Need help for a friend. 

3x axpert inverters in parallel, firmware of one is 72.30 and two is 74.40. The slaves are having an issue due to the firmware not being the same. 

What version of firmware can be loaded? The one is a 64v option and the other two is not which seems to be a problem to get a compatible firmware. 

Thanks 

Jacques

38 minutes ago, JacquesVDM said:

3x axpert inverters in parallel, firmware of one is 72.30 and two is 74.40. The slaves are having an issue due to the firmware not being the same. 

I don't know any way around this, unfortunately. Weber and I considered how we would go about patching firmware to achieve this, and decided it was too hard. There are too many CAN packets whose values would have to be faked.

I think the best your friend could do, apart from buying another 64 V machine, would be to only parallel the two with 74.40, and leave some of your loads on the other one. Not ideal, and you'd have to make the charge voltage settings for the one slightly lower than the two (assuming that they all have panels connected), but it could be made to work.

Edited by Coulomb

• 4 weeks later...
On 2019/10/02 at 11:23 AM, Coulomb said:

I don't know any way around this, unfortunately. Weber and I considered how we would go about patching firmware to achieve this, and decided it was too hard. There are too many CAN packets whose values would have to be faked.

I think the best your friend could do, apart from buying another 64 V machine, would be to only parallel the two with 74.40, and leave some of your loads on the other one. Not ideal, and you'd have to make the charge voltage settings for the one slightly lower than the two (assuming that they all have panels connected), but it could be made to work.

Is it possible to get software conflict and not get the software version error, getting error 73 on one Mecer mks2 in a 3 parallel setup.

10 hours ago, Brian J said:

Is it possible to get software conflict and not get the software version error, getting error 73 on one Mecer mks2 in a 3 parallel setup.

Error 73 (fault code 73) means "output voltage inconsistent". For example, you might have some inverters set to 220 V, and others set to 230 V. They all have to be the same.

Unhelpfully, the procedure for changing the output voltage doesn't seem to be documented by the manufacturer. I have a post about it here; you need to send a POPV command.

Without paralleling the inverters, check the output voltages when in battery mode (not line mode, no "bypass"). Are they all within about a volt, or are some 10 or even 20 volts different to the others? Obviously, paralleling inverters won't share current properly if the voltages are not the same.

The inverters to be paralleled have to connect to the same battery, and in addition they have to read about the same voltage. If not, you could also end up with error 83 (fault code 83, "Battery voltage detected different").

There are several more faults that could potentially come up before paralleling will work. As a random example, error 85 (fault code 85, "AC output current unbalance").