Wind Turbines

Mike

1 hour ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Specs of the controller? :P

lol, blue box with touch control with usb output to shitty software that i can then export to excel

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

lol, blue box with touch control with usb output to shitty software that i can then export to excel

We are here if you want to go from shitty to better to awesome.:D

2 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

Specs of the controller? :P

you do not even want to see this software, it is in Chinglish pictures and writing, all it can do is log the data to an excel file, thats it.

it shows - but i am waiting to see the battery voltage / amps, the turbine watts/ amps, and up to 2kw pv watts / amps actually work......will take a screen shot tomorrow

28 minutes ago, Mark said:

Sometimes the more basic the tech the easier the interface...  my 2c anyway!!

Are the blades turning or has wind dried up suddenly on the west coast for no apparent reason!

dead as a damn  doornail now that it's up, the last 2 months been pumping daily... ah well least the concrete set long enough and it will return. I agree basic tech that works is good enough, but offer me the choice of language i want to see on my screen, i don't want to know all the shite, just want to know what generated in a 24 hour cycle, what the current charge being generated is  and the battery state of charge....

Oh and not touch screen, you have to clout the unit for it to change

We have a "breeze" here at the moment, wind guru made me happy this am by saying serious wind......not yet here!! however after using the battery bank last night, they were on 52v this morning and having just got back in they are at 57.6v and the dump load is on... The blades are turning at a lazy pace! i would like to see some speed out of them just for the hell of it.

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Will be interested to see how much power it will generate when the winter fronts push through. Would be great if you can keep us updated with figures. Thanks Mike

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

as soon as i figure this crappy software out, i will export data to excel

11 hours ago, Mark said:

Will be interested to see how much power it will generate when the winter fronts push through. Would be great if you can keep us updated with figures. Thanks Mike

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

just for interest ...last night i monitored every tw hours whilst running on battery, the turbine gave me between 6.3amps and 9 amps, batteries have remained at 53.4v overnight.

27 minutes ago, Mark said:

Capitalist Taskmaster!

If I can masterfully delegate tasks yet still make a small profit, as discussed on a thread somewhere by not ripping people off, that can pay for the Ferrari, who is going to complain?

I promise I will not. :D

Since we raised the unit, the home has not been on Eskom power, the batteries have not dropped below 51.3v and on average are around 54 - 57vdc, we have also disabled any Net metering for now. the wind has been coming in steady between 3m.s - 6m.s the last two days. The daytime load is supplied by the pv panels and nighttime the battery bank, using no more than 12kwh per day at the moment.

I find that the turbine goes into dump load mode at 55VDC, wish i could raise that by 2VDC - have asked the distributors.... the p.v's are charging the batts very quick in the a.m, so the turbine hangs loose till the late afternoon/ evening then takes over. have not seen it exceed 700w yet.

Update: he turbine is pushing past 1kw at the minute!!!   yes, now more please

thats it for now.

Hi Mike

Very interesting, would love to see it. How noisy is it? Could you post a video of the turbine? What does the display of the control unit look like?

Another question, what exactly is the dump unit? How does it work? Is it used to "burn off" excess energy once the batteries are fully charged?

Cobus

Hi Cobus,

noise rating is 40db at 1m. my main bedroom is at the back of the house about 4m from the turbine, when it was running at 1kw+ on the weekend you can hear it cut the wind a little but not disturbing. the sea crashing on the boulders drown most noise in the area. I will post a short vid of it running and a pic of the controller. the dump load unit - you are correct, 3 x massive coils inside to take the excess current and dispose of when batts are full. I want to tap onto one of the phases and send that to my geyser element... when i figure out what i nedd to do it..

20160606_094310.jpg