Victron ESS doesn't use Solar much doing Scheduled Charging anymore

deapsquatter

This used to work as expected. I use schedule charging with a 5% SOC to prevent discharging the battery from 16:00 - 18:00. These days when it kicks in only a few hundred watts are used from solar to zero out the grid (not enough). As soon as I turn SC off the solar immediately climbs to cover ALL the loads. Any ideas? It never used to work this way.

EDIT: Almost looks like it's just covering the Critical Loads and not taking the AC Loads into account.

Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 16.22.56.png

Edited by deapsquatter

16 hours ago, deapsquatter said:

It never used to work this way.

Did you upgrade to the new release a few days back? Is your Venus set to auto Update? The update Might have changed a few things as I have experienced some changes on my system after the update.

If you log a support call, please report back on what Victron finds?

11 minutes ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

If you log a support call, please report back on what Victron finds?

Yes, I'd actually prefer to do this than simply VE.Bus reset and pretend it never happened. Cause it will happen again and I'd rather try offer evidence of the issue to Victron - maybe they can get to the root of the issue.

37 minutes ago, deapsquatter said:

I have been on v2.32 since the system was installed.

You didn't upgrade anything? There are some changes related to feed-in in 2.40 (release candidate), but if you are still on v2.32, none of this affects you (upgrade to v2.33 though, it's a bugfix release only).

From the picture it looks like overvoltage feed-in has stopped working. What happens if you set the ESS mode to "Keep Batteries Charged" during this time? Does feed-in work then? If not, ask Victron to look at it (you will likely talk first to a guy called Daniël, who might rope in some ... uhm... other people to look at it 🙂 ).

Edit: Also, it's generally a good idea to upgrade to the latest firmware before you ask for help. If your Multi  is still on 43x, upgrade it now.

There are also relay-testing fixes that target Pylontech's lower voltages in firmware 465. Definitely a good idea to try that first!

Edited by plonkster

1 minute ago, plonkster said:

You didn't upgrade anything? There are some changes related to feed-in in 2.40 (release candidate), but if you are still on v2.32, none of this affects you (upgrade to v2.33 though, it's a bugfix release only).

From the picture it looks like overvoltage feed-in has stopped working. What happens if you set the ESS mode to "Keep Batteries Charged" during this time? Does feed-in work then? If not, ask Victron to look at it (you will likely talk first to a guy called Daniël, who might rope in some ... uhm... other people to look at it 🙂 ).

Thanks - no I did not upgrade/change anything. I haven't tried "Keep Batteries Charged" but I have tried just turning Scheduled Charge off and that immediately sorts it (brings the grid draw down to the set Grid Setpoint).

6 minutes ago, deapsquatter said:

Thanks - no I did not upgrade/change anything. I haven't tried "Keep Batteries Charged" but I have tried just turning Scheduled Charge off and that immediately sorts it (brings the grid draw down to the set Grid Setpoint).

Scheduled charging and KeepBatteriesCharged have some tricks in common (using overvoltage feed-in). When you use optimised mode it simply discharges the battery and as the voltage falls, of course the MPPTs will try to pick it up. So that is no surprise at all. I suspect however that you will find the same lack of "powering the loads" even with ESS mode set to KeepCharged... and that would be something worthy of reporting.

OK so:

Scheduled Charge + Optimized with Battery Life = Solar does NOT try and zero the grid usage (it used too). Solar is basically "stuck" on whatever it was before Scheduled Charging came into effect.

switching too

Scheduled Charge + Keep battery charged = Solar rises to zero out grid usage (good)

Edited by deapsquatter