What settings for Multiplus without ccgx

Keith

My ccgx decided to go on the blink. Repeated rebooting and only gets as far as victron logo.

So the multi has now stopped charging. 5 kW multi with 4 kW fronius on acout. I have in the mean time reestablished Zero feed in control direct between fronius and it’s smart meter.

Looking for what settings i can change in multi to charge. If I loose mains it inverts no problem. Load shedding again, Murphy is operational here on my ccgx.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

My ccgx decided to go on the blink. Repeated rebooting and only gets as far as victron logo.

Ugh. It is bootlooping. Happens when the bootloader still works, but it can't boot the relevant partition.

Try re-loading Venus from an sd-card. Here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:firmware_upgrade_to_v2

Start with this older sdcard image: https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/ccgx/venus-upgrade-image-ccgx-20180916222247-v2.18.sdcard.zip

Then just do an online update to 2.33.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Looking for what settings i can change in multi to charge.

Remove the ESS assistant and it will act like a UPS. Just remember to save the old settings for restoring later.

Thanks. I tried the sdcard boot. But only gets as far as boot and preparing update from Mac.... then does nothing.

yip, I saved Setting, deleted ess, loaded PV assistant, all good. We had load shedding yesterday from 12:30. Then a fault so power did not return until 23:30. All that time ran on battery power. I have a fronius smart meter which is now controlling zero feed-in, while victron try sort out the ccgx.

understand from my supplier that they getting a lot of ccgx failures. Boot looping.

2 hours ago, Keith said:

understand from my supplier that they getting a lot of ccgx failures. Boot looping.

As a support person I also sometimes get the idea that "a lot of them are doing this". Well... no. We have literally thousands of these things all over the world. The number of problems is actually very low and easily handled by the warranty system.

It does suck when it happens though.

And it would be at the most inconvenient time... but it can work without it, not as elegantly but still, it works. The fall back smart meter zero feed in also is a save. Strangely though after sunset the fronius normally disconnects due to low PV power, but last night with mains off and inverter on it did not disconnect? Showing -23 W. So I helped it, switched the cab off.

you right as a % failure it is most likely small. Plus I am told they have a fairly quick turnaround time.

8 minutes ago, Keith said:

after sunset the fronius normally disconnects

There is a setting for this. There are two actually. One of them is whether it should send updates to the Fronius portal (wherever that is... but there is one) at night. The second one is so-called night mode.

I often encourage people to enable night mode. Otherwise the inverter disconnects from the network at night, and reconnects in the morning, and if the DHCP server on your router decides to allocate a new IP today... then the CCGX rescans... and eventually you have this proliferation of ip addresses stored on the CCGX of places where it has once found a PV-inverter.

Also, if you use modbus-tcp or mqtt, then you can't address the Fronius at night, which sometimes cause problems for people.

Edit: I think what happened is your night mode is set to Auto... and connecting the smart meter was the reason it now stays on.

Edited by plonkster

Ok Thanks. I’ll have a look. I was out last night so did not even look what it did. Should not have been anything to do with the grid being on or off as the PV inverter only sees the multi output.

if I recall the night mode is On, reports to solar web at night, however, even so at low solar it would disconnect inverter part from grid but still keep energized from grid. So maybe my “disconnect from grid” is not correct term as it only disconnects inverter. Each morning as solar gets to minimum on value it goes through checking and reconnecting the inverter.

Seems the primo is working as it should.

however, still have one issue. Currently we have a major power outage. My ccgx is in for repairs. So i took ess off and added PV assistant. But the multi is not charging the battery. Plenty excess solar but multi is in inverter and no charging, just controlling the primo.

currently i have grid off so smart meter is off, inverter was on, primo was on but limited, no charging. Ok so now my battery is low so im in the dark. Battery lasted 22 hours with ac assistance during the day. But not charging, why not?

oh. When i did have grid there was plenty of charging, seems all from grid. The primo is just reducing the load side...

Edited by Keith

7 hours ago, Keith said:

But not charging, why not?

Story of my life. The answer is always to first make sure you are on the latest firmware. Then do a VE.Bus reset. If it still doesn't work, call the installer/supplier and if they don't know they escalate it to level3 support.

• 2 weeks later...