Slow charging from mains as opposed to fast charging from PV

Bobster.

It's an overcast day on the highveld. My battery has been dropping, dropping, dropping all morning, and finally hit the discharge depth I set. So it starts charging from mains.

But only just.

With PV going, when the battery is 100% charged it still draws about 120w which I assume is just to keep it topped up.

When charging from mains it is pulling just 90w.

Why not more? The pool pump, the hair dryer, everything else happily pulls whatever they need from city power, but my battery is barely ticking over. You can't even say it's charging.

Again I don't know if this is usual or not.

3 hours ago, Bobster said:

Again I don't know if this is usual or not

I think your inverter is in "general mode". In this mode it will only charge the battery if there is excess solar output available. If you want the grid to charge your batteries you have to either use the "back up" mode (keeps batteries always 100% charged) or the "Economical" mode (you can set the charge time from the grid).

Sorry to hi-jack you post @Bobster we have wonderful rain, I don’t even care if I am using grid or not, we need the rain currently a lot more than saving on power usage.

I believe we are charged at a flat rate where other countries have peak and off-peak rates (I have an old meter, so there is actually no way they can see when my power is used). So it don’t really matter when the batteries are charging. 
My question however, is it better to just leave the system and have it charge the batteries at 10A from grid or lower that to 2A per inverter?
Also, I think I should change my one setting from SLb to SbL and utilize the flaw in firmware and have it charge for an hour on it’s own from midnight to 1am, again at 10A or more per inverter or at the lowest setting ie 2A per inverter?

Is it better to maybe push it up to 40A per inverter and have it push as much into the batteries during the midnight charge?

The rain should (I am praying it do) last for a week :)

Is your problem maybe related to your setting as mentioned above?

Certainly there is a time of use tariff available in Johannesburg, though I don't have details of what is considered peak time. But you have to apply for it, and there's R700 of flat charges over and above what you actually consume. So I'll stay on prepaid, thanks. 

I can put my inverter into a different mode where it just charges the battery and runs the house off grid. I turned that on last night and the battery was getting about 1/2 a kilowatt. Which still seemed underwhelming.

COJ, it seems to me, are going through the motions of offering us all sorts of options. You can have a time of use option, you can register to sell back to the grid, but it always ends up costing you. It seems to me that for them electricity is not a service they provide to residents, but a revenue stream, and they want to make it more expensive if you try to do anything smart. I COULD sell my surplus back to them, but by the time I've paid for the special meter that is required and the fixed charge per month, I'd need to have a Koeberg on my roof to make it worth my while.

Yes, the rain is welcome and much needed.

26 minutes ago, Bobster said:

I turned that on last night and the battery was getting about 1/2 a kilowatt. Which still seemed underwhelming.

check your charge current settings. If the batteries can take it (upper charge voltage not exceeded) the inverter can deliver up to 100A charge current (+-4.8kW).  

PS: I assume you still have a Goodwe GW5048D-ES 

4 hours ago, Fuenkli said:

check your charge current settings. If the batteries can take it (upper charge voltage not exceeded) the inverter can deliver up to 100A charge current (+-4.8kW).  

Thanks. The BMS is going to be replaced soon, and there will be a whole bunch of reconfiguring. So we can address that then.

20 hours ago, Fuenkli said:

I found that setting. 60.2. That seems to precise to be a default so I'm inclined to not fiddle without checking with the installer. 

But it will happily suck in kilowatts from PV

Hi - sitting in same position with Goodwe and no sun - it is running in general mode and batteries down to 40% - what happens when they hit 20% with our current spat of loadshedding. Will the inverter just ignore the batteries or charge them from the grid or do I need to set the inverter to Economical mode to enable grid charging.

Agreed we need the rain so I'm hanging in there - just don't like sitting in the dark without grid or battery backup when they are depleted (Pylontech batteries)

1 minute ago, pspspeed said:

Will the inverter just ignore the batteries or charge them from the grid or do I need to set the inverter to Economical mode to enable grid charging

If you stay in "General Mode" the inverter will not discharge below the set DOD values and will not use the grid to charge the batteries. You have to change to "Back Up" or "Economical" mode. I change to "Back Up" mode (Inverter keeps batteries 100% charged using the grid and/or Solar) if there is a high risk of load shedding (like right now).

1 minute ago, pspspeed said:

So Back up mode must be enabled to get grid to charge the batteries??

Yes, or you can choose the "Economical" mode. But in the "Economical" mode you have to set the time when you want the grid to charge the batteries. When you change to the "Back Up" or "Economical" mode you also have to set the desired charge current otherwise you have the problem @Bobsterhas reported

8 minutes ago, Fuenkli said:

Yes, or you can choose the "Economical" mode. But in the "Economical" mode you have to set the time when you want the grid to charge the batteries. When you change to the "Back Up" or "Economical" mode you also have to set the desired charge current otherwise you have the problem @Bobsterhas reported

Currently using 700w to charge - so not raping the grid to charge the batteries - will leave it as is

• 1 year later...

Good afternoon 

My batteries 2x pylontech is only charging at about 200 watt from PV (grid off since last night after load shedding) the Goodwe 5048es is set to backup mode, how can I increase the charge more than 200 watt? Anyone had this before?

my PV is 5000 watt and house using 700watt and full sun.

I

On 2021/06/11 at 1:43 PM, GFDannhauser said:

Good afternoon 

My batteries 2x pylontech is only charging at about 200 watt from PV (grid off since last night after load shedding) the Goodwe 5048es is set to backup mode, how can I increase the charge more than 200 watt? Anyone had this before?

my PV is 5000 watt and house using 700watt and full sun.

I have exactly the same problem.

Batteries are charging at a super slow rate with the inverter in General Mode.

In Economic mode the batteries charges quickly.

In the PV master App the Voltage and Current is both set to 53.2 and 50. Not sure where these values come from but I am hesitant to change them without knowing what I am doing.