Multiplus and Fronius Primo

Need to figure out why the system trip in grid failure state. System is a Multiplus, Li-ion battery, with a Primo on output 1. No DC charging.. Power fails and Mulri takes over from battery, no problem.
As soon as the PV power exceeds load and the inverter must now switch over from inverting to charging everything trips (including the CCGX). Then the inverter comes back on, ccgx reboots and power flows. As soon as the fronius then sees  there is life it too switched on and... bang, everything trips.

Seems to me as soon as the inverter switches to charging there is nothing for the fronius to latch onto? does not help much? the multi and fronius are set with correct frequency control but it is either too slow or the system cant have a fronius on the AC out and charge from AC out1 when there is no grid.

I run a heater to give a load, then all happy if the the pv is less than load.

What am i missing here?

Edited by Keith
2 minutes ago, Keith said:

System is a Multiplus, Li-ion battery, with a Primo on output 1. No DC charging..

I know people have probably already pointed it out, but here goes anyway : I would seriously consider adding a MPPT if I where you, with only AC coupling you have a real chance of sitting in a deadlock position while the sun is shining if your batteries went too low.

33 minutes ago, PJJ said:

I know people have probably already pointed it out, but here goes anyway : I would seriously consider adding a MPPT if I where you, with only AC coupling you have a real chance of sitting in a deadlock position while the sun is shining if your batteries went too low.

thanks, yes that is the plan to add mppt. currently my battery has plenty of charge. it seems the system cant support the fronius on the ac side in a charging mode, it has nothing to latch onto. so there has to be some supply from the inverter for it to work.

Layman's 2c. Not quite understanding. No DC charging at all? Not even momentarily a micro-cycle to balance the system? The generated energy has to go somewhere. If the system is not driving a big enough load, or charging batteries, and if frequency control is too slow to throttle back the Fronius in time (assuming ESS is setup correctly), then maybe as a last resort a diversion load controller could help.

What firmware version have you got on the Fronius?

Earlier firmware versions had a "flicker" problem. I remember testing it on the test bench with an actual incandescent lamp which visually demonstrated the issue. In my case the Fronius inverter simply gave up each time. I eventually got it stable by 1) updating to fro29390.upd (but first you must update to fro28500.upd), and 2) set the country code on the Fronius to MG50.

In your case it sounds as if the battery switches off (hence the CCGX bombs out too).