inverter fault

please can you help me I have my 3kva on grid Mecer inverter which is keep on beeping. the problem starts by the time ask my brother to change battery and he connected it wrongly.  He put positive to negative on battery connections. so please can I fix it and which thing might be burned. because I tested the fuse are ok. Please help me

5 hours ago, maxie said:

He put positive to negative on battery connections.

If that didn't blow the fuse, as you say, then I'd say it blew many or all of the DC-side MOSFETs.

Is it showing fault code 09?

Replacing the MOSFETs and associated drivers is a fairly large repair job. Nothing simple like replacing a fuse, unfortunately.

Earlier 5 kVA models had protection against reverse battery connection. Sadly, it seems that this protection was deleted to save cost in later models. If yours is an older model (say 2015 or earlier), then connecting the battery right way around again should restore it to full health with no ill effects. From your posts, I gather that this isn't what happened.

4 hours ago, Richard Mackay said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a Voltronic inverter??

Yes, Mecer inverters are all (I think) manufactured by Voltronic Power.

4 hours ago, Richard Mackay said:

If so I would like to know if is there any local support for these inverters?

Yes, my understanding is that Mecer have repair centres throughout South Africa. See for example this post for a fairly good resolution to a problem.

He he - @Coulomb - I love the fact that assume Mecer have any clue how to repair these things in South Africa - Little bit of naivety from living in a decent 1st world country?🤣

Sent 2 separate Axperts in, with separate faults and I just got told to replace the entire unit. In SA they behave a bit like Apple - No clue how to fix, and no inclination to solve the problem. Unless you actually tell them what to replace or what component to order, they are "almost" useless locally (as technical advice/fix). Admittedly, if I tell them what part, then they actually do try their utmost to get it for you, but they don't have the diagnoses skills in solar (and even basic invertors sometimes) to try solve the problem.

Go to them only once you know what the problem is, and to do that you will need to find someone with an electronics background first.

I was trained as an electronics tech way back. Even then it was a dying industry with stuff being thrown away rather than any attempt made to repair.

Recently I worked for an IT company that had installed rack mount double conversion on line UPSs in data monitoring stations for a gas line. The mains supply (next to an electric railway line) was so noisy that the spikes managed to destroy the battery charge circuit on almost all of these UPSs. I presume they made an attempt to get them repaired but it didn't happen. So when the company moved offices there were piles of these that were headed for the land fill. So I intervened and they landed up at my place and I worked out which components were blown so repairing them became routine..

Cheap power electronic devices aren't worth repairing I reckon but if you have an up market product repairing is worth investigating.

So being an electronics man and the fact they are so scarce should mean I'm rich and famous? :(

Edited by Richard Mackay

@Richard Mackay - If that were true, many on this forum would be rich and famous:D If life worked that way I would be a multi-millionaire instead of having to have restarted my career at the bottom rung at 48. From a senior Project Manager with Telecommunication specialty in the Oil and Gas Industry, working internationally, to unemployed for 4 years... Changes your perspective... You take what you can or can build up on your own.