Axpert MKS II 5kW Error 08

APV

On 2020/04/12 at 3:31 PM, charlez said:

@Coulomb thanks for this info. But as you said earlier they may provide a setting later using SOC. What software are you using to manage your inverters? This is what I can get out of my Narada batteries. Just passing a couple of fields to emoncms and not being used. Using the voltage to switch and not ideal.

temp::[31.0, 32.0, 31.0, 31.0] C
soh::100.0 %
packvolts::53.61 volts
soc::100.0 %
capacity::112.76 ah
addr::[1] BID
current::2.44 amps
cell_volts::(53.61300000000001, [3.554, 3.564, 3.567, 3.558, 3.549, 3.561, 3.564, 3.551, 3.567, 3.609, 3.613, 3.601, 3.587, 3.586, 3.582]) volts
cycles::330 cycles

Hi Charlez/ Everyone,

First off I want to thank each and everyone here for this create post and contribution to the community. I also started to get this 08 error and this has help me tremendously. @Charlez is it possible to give me more info regarding how you got the info from your Narada BMS? Did you use specific command protocol or does this automatically send for example every few seconds? Did you use RS485 or RS232? I tried searching all over the internet and could not get any info on this or command protocols. I could get for polyntech but nothing for Narada. Thanks in advance. 

Quintin

On 2020/11/17 at 10:35 AM, HermanD said:

Enable an AC charge current of only 2A and switch the inverter charge priority to "Solar First"

Very interested in this potential solution Herman.

Are you referring to setting 11 - Maximum utility charging current to be set to 2A and setting 16 - Charge source priority to be set to CSO instead of OSO?

With OSO only solar can charge batteries but with CSO, utility can also charge if there is no solar

On 2020/11/17 at 1:35 PM, HermanD said:

I had the same issue with the Error8 when my inverter(s) are in bypass mode, no solar input from panels and rain in the air.  My approach to solve (hide) this is to not add any additional hardware to the setup.  Enable an AC charge current of only 2A and switch the inverter charge priority to "Solar First".  The MKSII inverter can only charge from AC when in bypass mode, thus it will not use the AC charging when there is still battery available.  AC charging will not be used in bypass mode with solar availability.  The 2A AC charge setting is only enough to bias the inverter and do not really charge the batteries over the night period (My batteries SOC will go up with 1% maximum after about 10 hours on bypass).  After enabling these settings on my inverters I have not experience Error8 again for the entire winter (lots of rain and bypass mode incidents).  I hope this helps a few of you.

Thats a good solution too if one has batteries

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/12/01 at 8:50 AM, Smirresa said:

Very interested in this potential solution Herman.

Are you referring to setting 11 - Maximum utility charging current to be set to 2A and setting 16 - Charge source priority to be set to CSO instead of OSO?

With OSO only solar can charge batteries but with CSO, utility can also charge if there is no solar

Hi Smirresa,

Yes, setting 11 set to 2A and setting 16 set to CSO.  In CSO the inverter will only charge from utility in bypass mode when there no solar.  If you are in bypass mode, but there is solar (cloudy day with batteries low), then the AC charge will not occur.  If you are running from batteries and no solar (at night time) then the AC charge will not occur.  AC charging will only work when you are in bypass mode and no solar.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020/12/15 at 10:55 AM, HermanD said:

Hi Smirresa,

Yes, setting 11 set to 2A and setting 16 set to CSO.  In CSO the inverter will only charge from utility in bypass mode when there no solar.  If you are in bypass mode, but there is solar (cloudy day with batteries low), then the AC charge will not occur.  If you are running from batteries and no solar (at night time) then the AC charge will not occur.  AC charging will only work when you are in bypass mode and no solar.

Regards

Thanks Herman

Implemented this solution on two separate systems in two different parts of the country on the 1st of December, when I first saw the post.

No error 08 messages on either of the systems since then, despite intermittent cloudy and wet weather.

Seems like a lasting solution. If anything changes I will give feedback

• 2 months later...

Hi, wondered if there was any new feedback on this? Similar issue on Growatt, but mostly 11:00 morning starts to trip- not load related, and not only during rainy days. Did have utility charge set high (40amp) especially during latest loadshed again to not be caught out, have dropped it to 10A.

In this case it is 2x 5kW in parallel- and mostly one of the two that always error 8.

• 2 months later...
On 2021/03/20 at 8:17 PM, Igubu said:

any new feedback

The solution Herman proposed definitely solved the 08 (and 04) errors/problems on the Axpert inverters. Not a single error or trip since making the changes in Dec 2020. Not familiar with the Growatt inverters

On 2021/03/20 at 8:17 PM, Igubu said:

In this case it is 2x 5kW in parallel- and mostly one of the two that always error 8.

I had the problem on two systems. One with 2 x 5kVA in parallel and the other with a single 5kVA unit.

As far as I remember, for the dual system, the 08 error mostly occurred on the master inverter

56 minutes ago, Smirresa said:

The solution Herman proposed definitely solved the 08 (and 04) errors/problems on the Axpert inverters. Not a single error or trip since making the changes in Dec 2020. Not familiar with the Growatt inverters

I had the problem on two systems. One with 2 x 5kVA in parallel and the other with a single 5kVA unit.

As far as I remember, for the dual system, the 08 error mostly occurred on the master inverter

The Growatt has the same axpert designed mainboard- many similarities:)

on the positive side the friend with the same issue has not seen it since the same change was done approx 7 weeks ago! So I reckon this is a design fault in the board- but will Growatt refund because of it? Difficult to prove, but I’m of the opinion grid charge is a feature that has to work as designed.

• 3 months later...
On 2019/06/12 at 11:47 AM, Esau said:

Hi there everyone, i  hoping you can help. tonight on utility at 1 am my axpert 5 kva went into error 08.  i switch it over to municipal for now as my inverter will not switch off. 

it went on and off twice before it would not restore.

this has happened multiple times since install. my installer keeps tellib me it is due to buying a cheap make and only changing the inverter will fix my issues. yet my original one, which now instead of running everything, just runs my lights and geyser. the new one runs justy plugs. 

my old inverter is still running on lead acids. where my new one is running on a hubble lithium.

the company who sold me the battery said by putting two batteries in series it would solve my tripping issues.

The installer keeps saying the voltage of something is too high for the inverter to handle. which i dont understand.

So the  basically i am sitting with 2 issues. it use to trip randomly like today in middle of the night. and the  when for eg i put a lawnmower on .it would then continue tripping until i switched the switch from inverter to municipal. help

Hi Rochelle,

2 Possible scenarios I think  - the first is the " usual error 08" .. comments about that first.

Error 8 are notorious with all " Axpert"  mainboards..these include, Axpert, Kodac, RCT, Growatt etc etc..they all use the same mainboard. The only thing that helped (proven by a lot of users) was to set utility charge very low - Think it's setting 11 - set it to 2A (Amps). This means it will only grid charge at a low value- if you can live without grid charging, set it to 0A if possible.

From " HermanD"'s solution earlier:

" Yes, setting 11 set to 2A and setting 16 set to CSO.  In CSO the inverter will only charge from utility in bypass mode when there no solar.  If you are in bypass mode, but there is solar (cloudy day with batteries low), then the AC charge will not occur.  If you are running from batteries and no solar (at night time) then the AC charge will not occur.  AC charging will only work when you are in bypass mode and no solar" .

Second scenario is the usual troubleshooting steps:

What are you settings, are there any errors logged? You mention plugs only - but " plugs only"  can definitely trip something. The inverter and Hubble have max charge/discharge current settings - what are yours set at? Another thought perhaps - are the Hubbles the models with CAN interface, as well as the Axpert - or are they configured without comms, and just set using "AGM/Lead" Volt values?

Assuming the installer here is professional and knows his stuff?

Getting a better hybrid inverter like a Sunsynk "could" solve some of your issues, but it's not necessary unless all steps to resolve has been tried. Only valid reason would be if you require a larger inverter to carry all the loads for example. There are many other reasons for it, but in your case, not required right now to just make your system work.

Interesting that you now have 2x inverters, and 2x separate battery banks - hopefully these are not connected in any way on the same DB.

Connecting batteries in series will increase Voltage - so if you had 2x 12V batteries - in series they will be 24V.  Not sure how increasing V will solve anything if the installer is already saying the "V is too high" ..The V has to match what your inverter is - so perhaps lets start there.

To assist a bit here, lets get the basics first:

Which Model of Axpert do you have? There should be something on a sticker to show the exact model.

Which Model lithium hubbles do you have and how many of them? Are they connected in Parallel (so double amp hours, but same V - assuming 12V or 48V)

Once we know that, we can pull the axpert manual up and check compare your settings..

Last thought - you mention lawnmower for example trips it - that sounds to me like too much load on the inverter/battery/combination of both. You don't mention solar panels - assuming none?

The reason it works in municipal mode is you are essentially in bypass  - so the inverter wont trip, as it's literally just letting the power flow through from the grid.

Edited by Igubu
*Added

Here some basic settings below - you can reply with your values here - again - you don't mention solar, so a lot of these depends on solar panels, charging from them etc..

Here from the manual for the 48V Axpert-MKSII_5KVA - Manual V1.2 -but you might have a different model. Error 08 can also be internal, so incorrect installation.. but lets check model of inverter and batteries first and then your settings.

01 - SBU/Uti - Utility First
02 - 10A
03 - APL
04 - SdS
05 - AGM/USE?
06 - Lfr
07 - trd
08 - 230v
09 - 50Hz
11 - 2A
12 - these will only have values if setting 01 =  SBU or SOL - if set to SBU - what are your settings here?
13 - Your values?
16 - Your values
18 - bOn
19 - ESP
20 - LON
22 - AON
23 - bYd
25 - FEN
26 - Your Values
27 - Your Values
29 - Your Values
31 - SbE
32 - Depends on setting 05 - USE or ont
33 - EdS
34 - 37  - should be blank as 33 must be disabled.
38 - Neutral bonding depends how it's installed by your installer, and physically bonding the correct wires
39 - NA (33 disabled)

Edited by Igubu