What type of Solar Geyser?

jasonvanwyk

Hi All

Please may I ask for some advice here again.

I have 2 x 250lt low pressure (25 vacuum tube) connected in series. This works very well for me as my house, being very old has a very steep roof pitch. So I am easily able to use gravity for my hot water pressure - no problem.

I have a few friends and family who would like to do the same thing, however their houses are more modern than mine, and do not have the same roof pitch or height to take advantage of gravity to pressurise their hot water.

I've also been told that high pressure solar geysers in our part of the world have been problematic with either the circulation pump packing up, or, what they say, is that the tubes can burst on a "closed system" if it get too hot during the day or if it gets too cold and the water freezes. (disclaimer - I have not tested these claims) We live in the Southern Drakensberg at an altitude of about 1500m and temps vary from 38c in summer to -10c in winter.

I see you can get direct and indirect solar geysers such as these - https://www.sustainable.co.za/water-heating/solar-geysers.html 

I have no experience in these and I don't know how they work or what the difference is between the two.

I dont like gas geysers at all, in my experience - they either switch off when the water pressure drops (when someone opens up another tap) or in winter they just don't get warm enough, not to mention the gas "freezing" in winter (I know gas doesn't really freeze - but when your cylinder gets empty - you can't get the last bit of gas -25% of it out) plus it's not "free" like sun energy.

does anyone have any insight into what solution might best be viable or any advice.

Many thanks in advance

7 hours ago, jasonvanwyk said:

So I am easily able to use gravity for my hot water pressure - no problem.

They could look at high pressure evacuated tube geyser. They are more expensive than the low pressure but should also do the job, and can be fitted any hight as long as there is good sun and water pressure.

7 hours ago, jasonvanwyk said:

I've also been told that high pressure solar geysers in our part of the world have been problematic with either the circulation pump packing up, or, what they say, is that the tubes can burst on a "closed system" if it get too hot during the day or if it gets too cold and the water freezes.

My EV tube geyser has no pump and circulates the water itself. Only power to the element for cloudy days. I don’t know if the tubes can burst on hot or cold days, but this is the first time I hear about it. My geyser has been operating for 10 months now and no issues except too high temperature (+80’s) in summer that causes the over temperature valve to open and release lots of hot water.

Isolation on pipes will be very important in cold areas because piping is exposed to elements and can easily freeze, I noticed in winter nearby freezing water coming out  of tap before the hot water. 

It might also be a idea to keep the electric geyser as backup and install the solar geyser in parallel over the old, just shutting old geyser valves.

If it was me, I would add whatever solar geyser you are installing in series with your old geyser, if possible. Just feed the old geyser with warm water, pretty soon you would have double your hot water capacity and the sun will warm the water for you without most probably using any power for your geyser form Eskom.

I just don’t know if the solar geyser will have the water too hot for the old electrical geyser.

I guess there are ways to overcome overheating of water.

Could probably burst the old geyser if the water is too hot.

Edited by Wilfred