Vulgrim's DIY install.

vulgrim

Everything was done by myself.

Equipment.

Expert 5kva MKS Inverter.(48v)

Shoto 150 Amp gel batteries.(4) Still going to add at least 8 more.

BenQ 330 watt solar panels (6) Still going to add at least 4 more.

Schletter solar panel mounting system.

Still waiting for my surge protector.

Still busy with the final wiring from the combinner box to the inverter.

post-786-0-85896500-1454742860_thumb.jpg

post-786-0-94719700-1454743248_thumb.jpg

post-786-0-49987600-1454743409_thumb.jpg

Good looking setup!

Just one question, you are showing HS in the display meaning the inverter is set up as the master to work in parallel but you seem to only have one inverter connected now? Are you planning on expanding soon?

Finished the last wiring this morning.
Switch over at 09:30 .
Generating 1,54 kW.attachicon.gif20160207_095733.jpgattachicon.gif20160207_095713.jpg

Hi, I have a similar system, 8x280w PV 8x102AH 5Kva Mecer/expert inverter.

My question is simple, but requires some custom fiddling, how do you find an optimal setup that allows the grid to  'Bypass" for high load with weak sun but not fully charge the batteries from the grid overnight.

IE I want the sun to charge my batteries in the morning and not pay Eskom to charge overnight, but I don't want to Hammer my batteries either (I want to use about 15% of their capacity before the 'Grid' clicks in.

I'm not trying to go totally off the grid, as I don't want to scale my system to this extent (it doesn't make economic sense).  I would like to hear your views on the best setup for this type of system using the Aepert 5Kva inverter.

A

Albo, to do what you are asking, my own design going back to 2012, I used a BMV monitors' relay to trigger 220v AC relays between inverter and Eskom power, for as you, I wanted a SOC of 95% to switch back to Eskom, SOC 97% back to solar, adjusted based on the time of the year.

Not sure how you would program the Mecer, I would have done it after the inverters AC output, swap there between inverters and Eskom based on SOC of batteries.

And if there is no Eskom, revert back to inverter.

Others will probably answer with more and better ideas.

Hi, I have a similar system, 8x280w PV 8x102AH 5Kva Mecer/expert inverter.

My question is simple, but requires some custom fiddling, how do you find an optimal setup that allows the grid to 'Bypass" for high load with weak sun but not fully charge the batteries from the grid overnight.

IE I want the sun to charge my batteries in the morning and not pay Eskom to charge overnight, but I don't want to Hammer my batteries either (I want to use about 15% of their capacity before the 'Grid' clicks in.

I'm not trying to go totally off the grid, as I don't want to scale my system to this extent (it doesn't make economic sense). I would lie to hear your views on the best setup for this type of system using the Aepert 5Kva inverter.

A

Jaco's program will do the job if i understand correctly

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On 07/02/2016 at 0:47 PM, vulgrim said:

My wife just started ironing which took the pv panels to 1.73 kW.

We are very impressed WOW free electricity.

Max pv panels is 1980 watt.20160207_123837.jpg

wow that is good, looks almost to good to be true...  :-)

i only get 50-60% of my rated power out of panels.  6x 150 amerisolar  = 900W spec   but only get +- 450W :-( 

• 2 years later...

good morning Guys,

Don't want to high jack this threat but I got a question regarding the PV input as above.

I am a noob at solar and installed my own this weekend, (will upload my install later) just want to know the input of above 1.73kW is that the load you use / what the panels deliver as I got only minor connections (lights) for starters and get a reading of +- 300w and 1 amp.

I have 6 * 325w Amerisolar panels (series / parallel) installed with the Axpert 5kVA inverter, with 4 * royal N120 batteries.

All info would be of high value as I am getting the electrician out this week for the coc and need everything running smooth before that.

Samsed

Edited by Samsed

Hi Samsed that is the incoming power from your panels . It is the load plus power going into your batteries . If you press the up button below the screen once the Amps going into the batteries will be on the screen . If you press the down button a few times will get the load % , load va and load in watts . Enjoy your new Solar system .

• 1 month later...