Small Axpert Install For Pensioners

SolarNoob

Hi guys,

My parents are looking for a small solution to overcome load shedding for a few hours and hopefully save a little money if they can.

I was thinking of installing the 1000W Axpert for them with two 200W panels and one or two 100AH batteries. Maybe one 200AH. This would be fitted in the garage and plugged into a wall socket with a separate plug circuit run to the lounge. So the install is stand alone and not integrated into the DB.

They only need to run one DSTV decoder, one TV, one internet router, one LED lamp and a small fan if required. I will be checking the required watts used this weekend.

My question is, is the Axpert fit for this purpose? I am not familiar with the Axperts at all. Since its an off grid inverter, they should have battery backup when the power goes out and should it be sunny, use PV to power those things should there be enough PV generated and if not cut over to the grid? My understanding of the Axpert is it is either or, right?

I will install fuses on the panels and a circuit breaker on the AC side and a DC disconnect. Do I need an earth leakage breaker if the inverter is using the plug socket and thus the house DB?

Please feel free to make recommendations but the budget is obviously limited. Alternative solutions also welcome.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, SolarNoob said:

is the Axpert fit for this purpose?

Yes, it should do the job.

My understanding of the Axpert is it is either or, right?

Yes, certainly for the 1 kVA models.

9 minutes ago, SolarNoob said:

Do I need an earth leakage breaker if the inverter is using the plug socket and thus the house DB?

Yes, because the inverter could be the only source of power.

You might even have trouble plugging the AC-in into a general purpose outlet. Though I suspect the smaller models are actually designed for this.