Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Peter Topp

My DIY Home Automation

On 2020/03/20 at 12:24 PM, Mark2 said:

I will play around with it a bit more and try integrate it with my MQTT scripts. It will be a bit of a hack though as I won't be able to seperate it from FCGI - I'm not a dev. It is really fast though so i dont mind going via curl to nginx fcgi.

I also thought about extracting the inner C code so that I don't have to use FCGI, etc. It seems like the FCGI layer handles timeouts and the author previously made two other connectors so perhaps he is using FCGI with good reason.  I'll try and find out from the author.

Posted (edited)

@Mark2, Very neat setup indeed. 

I also started out that route a few years back. I fiddled with HASSIO, Openhab, Home assistant and just didn't like it. It was too finicky and not very reliable. I am very deep into the apple eco system and gave homekit a try and never looked back! it is fairly straight forward and very reliable. I am using homekit with a few other API's including node red,  and homebridge to translate non HAP approved devices to talk on homekit. the key for me here is not to display funky stuff that I cannot use, but to be ultra reliable as it runs the security of the house.

I also have various automation rules in place  to control blinds, lights, temperature, pool and so on, except from the main devices that have access to homekit and siri, I have ipads spread out in the house against the walls (flush mounts I got from Howlo) with the below panel in guided access mode so no one can mess about. it has been very reliable the past 3 years give or take. 

The biggest advantage of this setup is Siri. you can control anything just with a voice prompt, absolute convenience. Yes I know hassio/homeassist/openhab can also, but it ain't the same.

376202169_Screenshot2020-04-07at15_52_50.thumb.png.a46fad6f0e0ac27be0d62bfedf99aadb.png

Edited by Jakesza

@Jakesza - sorry that looks like a glorified remote panel - where the auotmations? :) (obvisuly I am more an open system guy)  - just kidding though if it works thats cool

I ve been away from forum for a bit so missed some of the action - some nice dashboards. I ve expanded mine quite a bit in Homeassistant since I posted last. Related to solar I now have a automation which is quite specific to PE Grid tie setup which you might find interesting. If you grid tied you linked to Eskom time of use time periods so you really want to be careful to get your system to only draw from grid in off-peak and standard time. Rate peak is R2.67 vs off Peak R1.24 / kWh.  Now since the Peak is never during high sun conditions you need to be able to tell the system to use battery first during Peak period, then ouside this period you tap into cheaper time periods to recharge the batteries for the next peak. Should mention any excess power fed back to grid during the day can be used as credit in evening as long as the rate periods match - effectively you using the grid as a battery. That way Battery only needs to be sized to house consumption during the 2 peak periods - see power wheel image.

So home assistant keeps track of the rate periods and battery condition and sends a command to my quattro inverter (well actually ESS) to adjust the grid setpoint up or down depending on what rate is active - works like a charm. 

Other toggle relarted to solar is a loadshedding switch - basicaly this tells the inverter to increase battery SOC min to a higher level (mine is 40% vs 20%) - to ensure there is enough capacity in the battries at all times to handle a 2hr unexpected loadshed (have toyed with trying to read the shedules but gave up)

My other dashboards are actaully quite light on the number of switches but I have over 60 automations running eveything from the geyser, robot vacuum to pumps, alarm system and lights. My newest favourite one at moment is I use the passive sensors in my workshop to turn the lights on and of depending on someone being int there - love it.

Have a shipment of Shellys (mostly dimmers and 2 way switch controllers) on their way from Bulgaria, these will convert most of the houses lights that I havent Sonof bassics yet - cant wait :) 

image.thumb.png.bfe7db0df4f0bb6d05252db3dfdd7028.png

image.thumb.png.eefb951a85d02dc6d294249b99e06911.png

image.thumb.png.ac929f8cd3877a50791cc430a62292f0.png

On 2020/03/12 at 3:34 PM, Mark2 said:

I'm also a big fan of home assistant.

This is my dashboard for my Axpert MKS II. I have a raspberry pi connected to it with bidirectional MQTT to my home assistant server.

The server used to be just a pi 3 but it started getting a bit sluggish with all the data points. I've since migrated to an old 4th gen i3 with a cheap SSD

inverter.thumb.png.777bd7ae177f3fe45d03b36357c8f7b2.png

I've done some other stuff as well if you guys are interested to see.

Also have 3d animations working but still working on a full detailed rendering of the house before I integrate it fully.

So @Mark2 how you getting the loadshedding status  -that automation I need :)

14 hours ago, Tim said:

ok answered by own question - thanx for nudge:

https://gist.github.com/cliffordwhansen/b9ce886f8942d957e6140b8655f69f46

If you spend some time you can also get your specific schedule for suburb.

Have a look at these few steps.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/loadshedding-api.672196/

https://github.com/daffster/mypowerstats

https://www.npmjs.com/package/eskom-loadshedding-api

In my home I have sonoff wall switches on all my lights. What I then did with HA you can calculate the on time for each entity. 

I use a sonoff pow to measure all my light's individual power usage. Then with a calculation I can dynamically calculate power usage of all the lights individually and add that to my dashboard.

Did the same with my TV. The blow save the stats for 30days and then in the template I use a average of 120w when the tv is on.

#bedroom tv
  - platform: history_stats    
    name: 'btv' 
    entity_id: media_player.tv_ua43nu7100
    state: 'playing'
    type: time
    end: '{{ now() }}'
    duration:
      days: 30

- platform: template
    sensors:
      btv_template:
        friendly_name: 'Bedroom TV'
        unit_of_measurement: W
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.btv.state | multiply(120)|round(1) }}'

17 hours ago, Tim said:

If you grid tied you linked to Eskom time of use time periods so you really want to be careful to get your system to only draw from grid in off-peak and standard time. Rate peak is R2.67 vs off Peak R1.24 / kWh. 

@Tim where do you get these rates from? I checked on the Eskom site but can only seem to find old rates from 2011/12 14/15 etc... Could be that I'm looking in the wrong place.

thanks. 

Posted (edited)
On 2020/05/06 at 10:19 AM, Jatho said:

@Tim where do you get these rates from? I checked on the Eskom site but can only seem to find old rates from 2011/12 14/15 etc... Could be that I'm looking in the wrong place.

thanks.

@Jatho Hi - athough I am on Eskom time of use, the Tarrifs are the ones from our NMBM metro - as per below - sorry probably doesnt help:

image.thumb.png.2d47a6c699f25caab819e2dd7a1710c3.png

Edited by Tim

On 2020/05/06 at 10:02 AM, Luminous said:

If you spend some time you can also get your specific schedule for suburb.

Have a look at these few steps.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/loadshedding-api.672196/

https://github.com/daffster/mypowerstats

https://www.npmjs.com/package/eskom-loadshedding-api

In my home I have sonoff wall switches on all my lights. What I then did with HA you can calculate the on time for each entity.

I use a sonoff pow to measure all my light's individual power usage. Then with a calculation I can dynamically calculate power usage of all the lights individually and add that to my dashboard.

Did the same with my TV. The blow save the stats for 30days and then in the template I use a average of 120w when the tv is on.

#bedroom tv
- platform: history_stats
name: 'btv'
entity_id: media_player.tv_ua43nu7100
state: 'playing'
type: time
end: '{{ now() }}'
duration:
days: 30

- platform: template
sensors:
btv_template:
friendly_name: 'Bedroom TV'
unit_of_measurement: W
value_template: '{{ states.sensor.btv.state | multiply(120)|round(1) }}'

Good idea thx for sharing - lights use a surprising amount of my total usage.

Reason I have gone Shelley vs Sonoff for most of lights is for the dimers - plus very easy ot convert 2-way switches as shelley can take 230V as a input toggle (sonoff woudl blow up) :)

I have tried to post to this topic twice on two different occasions. I can see the reply once posted, but when I return to the post, my reply is gone. If my replies somehow displays twice, I apologize. The last post I can see was from Tim Thursday 07/05/2020 @ 09:03.

I would like to know if anyone has tested the Voltronic Docker in a parallel setup?

So the wife's old S7's battery gave out and after 2 more attempts to replace it with batteries that last I gave up and made a small screen for the Kitchen. Got most of the basic info running on it and so far so good. It also doubles as a small picture frame. 

mobileMain.jpg.097221bce420674c7bc3fa1f52dc5bc1.jpg

mobileHouse.jpg.b2fe5a12079c6c95093d8ff5f2555cdf.jpg

mobileOutside.jpg.0d812d4f0e7c35b8513da69ec58f2c2a.jpg

mobileSolar.jpg.e016f3cf086fa17617f4e92e933ccb88.jpg

mobileSolarx.jpg.9f01bd898d04c6338762f0c82fdea434.jpg

mobileGarage.jpg.793a8420f5e135e5457e13220f7145db.jpg

mobileControle.jpg.cad442c5cc5ec9278545e8242b3725a6.jpg

mobileMedia.jpg.0270f324e1345b28c041db5298c5a044.jpg

mobileSystem.jpg.9754ee298394924a39db9690311d4225.jpg

screen.jpeg

3 hours ago, PaulF007 said:

So the wife's old S7's battery gave out and after 2 more attempts to replace it with batteries that last I gave up and made a small screen for the Kitchen. Got most of the basic info running on it and so far so good. It also doubles as a small picture frame.

mobileMain.jpg.097221bce420674c7bc3fa1f52dc5bc1.jpg

mobileHouse.jpg.b2fe5a12079c6c95093d8ff5f2555cdf.jpg

mobileOutside.jpg.0d812d4f0e7c35b8513da69ec58f2c2a.jpg

mobileSolar.jpg.e016f3cf086fa17617f4e92e933ccb88.jpg

mobileSolarx.jpg.9f01bd898d04c6338762f0c82fdea434.jpg

mobileGarage.jpg.793a8420f5e135e5457e13220f7145db.jpg

mobileControle.jpg.cad442c5cc5ec9278545e8242b3725a6.jpg

mobileMedia.jpg.0270f324e1345b28c041db5298c5a044.jpg

mobileSystem.jpg.9754ee298394924a39db9690311d4225.jpg

screen.jpeg

Very nice. 

What are you using to control the geyser and monitor the car battery states?

The Battery sensors I build myself and transmit the data via MQTT. The Geyser controller is also part of the automation system. It has a Geyser Wize Controller as the "Master" and then I control the power to the element with a SSR. Rules is done via Node Red and the temp sensor is a DB18B20 sensor placed in the thermostat of the geyser.