Goodwe 4.6 ES - EZ Meter - Anyone installed the 0.5 amp in-line fuse?

On the final stages of my Goodwe 4.6 ES install and happy to say my Chinglish has come on in leaps and bounds!

While installing the Smart Meter ("Ez Meter" as referred to in the manual) I found something I had overlooked on first inspection. There is a 0.5 amp fuse indicated on the positive supply side to the meter that powers it. This fuse &/or holder is not part of the packing list for the meter.

Has anyone who installed a Goodwe Ez Meter added this small inline fuse to their smart meter? 

Images taken from the Goodwe Smart Meter instructions - Online copy at https://www.goodwe.com/Public/Uploads/sersups/Smart Meter User Manual.pdf

Smart Meter - Pic.jpg

Smart Meter - 0.5 Amp Fuse Question.jpg

8 hours ago, John G said:

Has anyone who installed a Goodwe Ez Meter added this small inline fuse to their smart meter? 

The same fuse is indicated in the neutral line of the Carlo Gavazzi meters used on Victron installations.

schema_-_et112.png.cd47e5aca488e509e1b350a0c6d2d49e.png

I think the reason for this fuse is the same: Overcurrent protection. It protects the cable to the meter itself, ensuring that the full current of the installation (since this usually wires directly after the main incoming breaker) will not go up in flames if the meter itself develops a fault.

With the goodwe meter, the main current runs on the red wire with the CT on it, so a smaller amount of overcurrent protection is added to the supply for the meter itself. In the case of the Carlo Gavazzi, the main current runs between terminals 1 and 2, and the neutral terminal carries only the current to power the meter itself (around 5mA), which is why the fuse is in the neutral wire.

You don't have to use a fuse, but you must either make the wiring thick enough to carry the full current from the main breaker (typically 60A), or you must add a breaker for the same size as this wire.

This is a mistake I've made myself on a geyser timer. The red wire was sized for the 20A of the geyser itself, but I reasoned that since the black wire only carries a small amount of current to power the timer, that can be a thinner wire. That is of course incorrect: The wire must be sized for 20A, or must have its own overcurrent protection.

5 minutes ago, plonkster said:

You don't have to use a fuse, but you must either make the wiring thick enough to carry the full current from the main breaker (typically 60A), or you must add a breaker for the same size as this wire.

For the goodwe meter, I would add a breaker in the line that powers the meter. It can be a nice small one, 5A or less. Here is another example, the Ziehl anti-islanding relay. Again note the 2A breaker that protects the cabling to the device itself, and the contactor coil, while the main current passes right by through the contactor bottom right.

Selection_453.png.d4aa6e636cfcedc3f6cf50a7d6e21843.png