Growatt Inverter + Pylontech Batteries : BMS Comms Guide

SiliconKid

1 minute ago, Bafaro69 said:

Salut mon cher, j'ai le même problème d'erreur BMS avec mes onduleurs spf5000es, donc si vous pouvez partager avec moi la mise à jour du logiciel. Mon adresse mail c'est [email protected]

Merci d'avance. 

Hi dear, I have the same BMS error problem with my spf5000es inverters, so if you can share the software update with me.  My email address is [email protected]

Hi Siliconkid

I have followed your instructions. 

I have the same inverter as you with the same pylontech battery. 

It looks like I need the updates. 

Please email to me. 

Regards 

Vinesh

2 hours ago, Vinesh said:

Hi Siliconkid

I have followed your instructions. 

I have the same inverter as you with the same pylontech battery. 

It looks like I need the updates. 

Please email to me. 

Regards 

Vinesh

hi guys

what worked for me in the end (and after getting guidance from a Bundu Power tech was the following)

Using a straight through cable (Pin1 to Pin1 etc) ; Run it CAN port to CAN port and change setting 5 to LI, Program 52

That was all I needed.

1 hour ago, George_S said:

hi guys

what worked for me in the end (and after getting guidance from a Bundu Power tech was the following)

Using a straight through cable (Pin1 to Pin1 etc) ; Run it CAN port to CAN port and change setting 5 to LI, Program 52

That was all I needed.

It will help to state which Growatt inverter you are using. The SPF5000TL model supports only RS485 protocol. Please have a look at page 4 of the user manual of this particular inverter. You do not use CAN 😩

2 minutes ago, hoohloc said:

It will help to state which Growatt inverter you are using. The SPF5000TL model supports only RS485 protocol. Please have a look at page 4 of the user manual of this particular inverter. You do not use CAN 😩

Apologies and good point 

It’s the Growatt SPF5000ES and Pylontech US3000C

Hello Power People, 

I'm posting this here to hopefully save anyone in a similar situation a lot of headache and possibly an inverter. 

I recently installed a Growatt SPF5000TL inverter and a Pylontech US3000C battery. From what I could research on this forum, firmware updates were required to get the BMS communications established. So, I got the firmware and commenced the updates. It broke my inverter! It would not turn on after the 2nd update. Luckily it was still under a warranty and the supplier swapped out the unit. 

I was really not comfortable with doing a firmware update on the new inverter, so I found some more information with regards to the cable and managed to get the BMS communicating WITHOUT DOING ANY FIRMWARE UPDATES. So, if you would like to get the inverter and battery communication, follow these  steps.

1. If you are unable to make your own CAT6 network cable, go to your local computer shop and ask them to make one up for you. 

2. The cable only requires 3 wired contactors. Refer to picture below:

171693407_BMSCable.thumb.jpg.7302846ac5d136e75259da2f9dd10919.jpg

3. Invert the the wires on either end of the cable connections. It doesn't matter what the colours are, as long as they are inverted in order and pin location.  

4. Turn the battery off. and set your Baud rate to 9600. Dipswitches 1 0 0 0 (1-ON 2-OFF 3-OFF 4-OFF)

5. Connect the end with contactors 6, 7 & 8 wired to the battery RJ45 port. Then connect the end with contactors 1, 2 & 3 wired into the BMS port of the inverter. 

6. Turn the battery on and inverter back on. 

7. Go to setting 5 and select Li with protocol 04. Make sure it is set, then press escape and it should start communicating after a few seconds.

8. If it doesn't work immediately, turn the battery off on the red SW switch and then the main switch then turn the inverter off. Wait 30s and turn back on starting at the battery. 

9. To verify that it is communicating, got to setting 12, 13 & 21. These will now be displayed as percentages and no longer voltage. You will also see a Li display next to the battery on permanently. 

I really hope this is able to help someone out there. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Neil

2 hours ago, Neil27 said:

Hello Power People, 

I'm posting this here to hopefully save anyone in a similar situation a lot of headache and possibly an inverter. 

I recently installed a Growatt SPF5000TL inverter and a Pylontech US3000C battery. From what I could research on this forum, firmware updates were required to get the BMS communications established. So, I got the firmware and commenced the updates. It broke my inverter! It would not turn on after the 2nd update. Luckily it was still under a warranty and the supplier swapped out the unit. 

I was really not comfortable with doing a firmware update on the new inverter, so I found some more information with regards to the cable and managed to get the BMS communicating WITHOUT DOING ANY FIRMWARE UPDATES. So, if you would like to get the inverter and battery communication, follow these  steps.

1. If you are unable to make your own CAT6 network cable, go to your local computer shop and ask them to make one up for you. 

3. Invert the the wires on either end of the cable connections. It doesn't matter what the colours are, as long as they are inverted in order and pin location.  

4. Turn the battery off. and set your Baud rate to 9600. Dipswitches 1 0 0 0 (1-ON 2-OFF 3-OFF 4-OFF)

5. Connect the end with contactors 6, 7 & 8 wired to the battery RJ45 port. Then connect the end with contactors 1, 2 & 3 wired into the BMS port of the inverter. 

7. Go to setting 5 and select Li with protocol 04. Make sure it is set, then press escape and it should start communicating after a few seconds.

8. If it doesn't work immediately, turn the battery off on the red SW switch and then the main switch then turn the inverter off. Wait 30s and turn back on starting at the battery. 

9. To verify that it is communicating, got to setting 12, 13 & 21. These will now be displayed as percentages and no longer voltage. You will also see a Li display next to the battery on permanently. 

I really hope this is able to help someone out there. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Neil

Nice guide, straight forward. I remember doing the trolling through this post to get all that info :) 

I think though that your replacement inverter might be on the new firmware already though, because I believe that was required to get the Li Protocol 04. But I could be wrong.

On 2021/01/17 at 11:21 PM, Fatboy said:

Hello,

I tried to update my Growatt inverter firmware to 500.008 and it failed. Now it continues to get stuck after it erases the hard drive. It does not continue to the next package.

I tried to follow the instructions regarding failure couple of times with no luck.

Has anyone ever experience the same problem and how did you overcome it. Currently inverter is not working and the lights on the screen are off however, if you run the tool to upgrade, it picks it up, erases the hard drive then get stuck on send...

Hope to hear from anyone. Thank you

Hi Fatboy, did you manage to come right? I had my China supplier assist me & although we initially had your issue, they supplied other firmware files which restored the inverter then we could do the upgrade. 

On 2021/07/12 at 4:10 PM, Rooney Hat said:

Nice guide, straight forward. I remember doing the trolling through this post to get all that info :) 

I think though that your replacement inverter might be on the new firmware already though, because I believe that was required to get the Li Protocol 04. But I could be wrong.

Thanks. Just want to add something helpful. This forum was the only place I could find anything helpful. There seems to be a severe shortage of information on the web with regards to Growatt inverters.  

Perhaps it has the updates. But it was replaced within a week, so I assume they were both from the same batch of inverters shipped. 

On 2021/07/16 at 10:43 PM, LwL said:

@SiliconKid

Hi there. Will the comms setup be the same for the Growatt SPF5000ES inverter?

Hello @LwL,

BMS comms for the SPF5000ES is pretty straight forward - it supports both CAN and RS485. No funny business like the SPFxxxxTL models.

SPF5000ES using RS485

Network Cable - Cross Over - pins 1,2,3 (inverter side) crossed over to pins 8,7,6 (battery side). That is 1-8, 2-7, 3-6
Inverter Port - RS485
Battery Port - B/RS485 (this is on a Pylontech US3000C)
Battery Dipswitch - 1000 (on, off, off, off). This will give you the required 9600 baud comms speed. Some US3000C's have the dipswitch installed upside down, please take note of this and just do the sensible thing. :)
Inverter Option 5 - Li
Inverter Option 36 - L02

SPF5000ES using CAN

Network Cable - Straight Through - pins 1-8 (inverter side) straight through to pins 1-8 (battery side). 
Inverter Port - CAN
Battery Port - A/CAN (this is on a Pylontech US3000C)
Battery Dipswitch - 0000 (off, off, off, off). Dipswitch does not matter for CAN. Some US3000C's have the dipswitch installed upside down, please take note of this and just do the sensible thing. :)
Inverter Option 5 - Li
Inverter Option 36 - L52

This should get your comms working.

On 2021/07/12 at 1:49 PM, Neil27 said:

Hello Power People, 

Neil

Hi members, please assist me here I need to upgrade my PV Wattage, currently I have 4 x JA 385W connected 2s2p. I need to upgrade to 6 x JA 385W, can I connect 2s3p to Growatt SPF5000TL without damaging the inverter? Also the model of the panels is JAM72S09-385/PR, can I add the 2 x JAM60S20-385-MR to the existing panels without worrying about compatibility? Thank you

1 minute ago, Augyman said:

Hi members, please assist me here I need to upgrade my PV Wattage, currently I have 4 x JA 385W connected 2s2p. I need to upgrade to 6 x JA 385W, can I connect 2s3p to Growatt SPF5000TL without damaging the inverter? Also the model of the panels is JAM72S09-385/PR, can I add the 2 x JAM60S20-385-MR to the existing panels without worrying about compatibility? Thank you

With the 5000TL, yes you should be able to connect 2s3p without any problem at all. I have 2s7p. 12 330w and 2 365w.

The important thing is the voltage/amps and how many you have in a string. 5000TL recommends lower than 115v, so if the panels are around 50v each, that's why you should have max 2 in series.

For efficiency sakes, If the voltages and amps are different on the newer panels, you'll always get the lowest value.

So for example: If the old panels are 47v and the new panels are 48v, it will drop the new panels to 47v. Same for Amps, that's why its possible to mix and match, but it's not always efficient. But it shouldn't be an issue. 
I just added 2x 365w panels to my 12x 330w system because it's hard to find 330w panels anymore, and I have no issues, but I am losing a bit.

13 hours ago, Supergeek said:

Bonjour @LwL,

Les communications BMS pour le SPF5000ES sont assez simples - elles prennent en charge CAN et RS485. Aucune entreprise amusante comme les modèles SPFxxxxTL.

SPF5000ES utilisant RS485

Câble réseau - croisé - broches 1,2,3 (côté onduleur) croisées aux broches 8,7,6 (côté batterie). C'est-à-dire 1-8, 2-7, 3-6
Port onduleur - Port de
batterie RS485 - B/RS485 (c'est sur un Pylontech US3000C) Dipswitch de
batterie - 1000 (marche, arrêt, arrêt, arrêt). Cela vous donnera la vitesse de communication requise de 9600 bauds. Certains US3000C ont le commutateur DIP installé à l'envers, veuillez en prendre note et faire simplement la chose raisonnable. Onduleur Option 5 - Li Onduleur Option 36 - L02:)

SPF5000ES utilisant CAN

Câble réseau - Straight Through - broches 1-8 (côté onduleur) directement jusqu'aux broches 1-8 (côté batterie). 
Inverter Port - CAN
Battery Port - A/CAN (sur un Pylontech US3000C)
Battery Dipswitch - 0000 (off, off, off, off). Le commutateur DIP n'a pas d'importance pour CAN. Certains US3000C ont le commutateur DIP installé à l'envers, veuillez en prendre note et faire simplement la chose raisonnable. Onduleur Option 5 - Li Onduleur Option 36 - L52:)

Cela devrait faire fonctionner vos communications.

Bonjour chers tous, Est-ce que quelqu'un a l'expérience de l'utilisation de groupes de batteries pylontech avec les onduleurs growatt ? 

On 2020/03/21 at 1:54 PM, SiliconKid said:

Excellent! 

So how does everybody else get those firmware updates now? 

I've got several people wanting to buy Dyness but they refuse to commit unless Dyness will make the firmware available. 

That nonsense that they won't supply firmware to end users needs to stop. That is not viable in South Africa, the firmware needs to be freely available so people can sort the problems out themselves, we can't rely on installers and suppliers here unfortunately. 

Hi is this still the case?