Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
SiliconKid

Growatt Inverter + Pylontech Batteries : BMS Comms Guide

56 minutes ago, SiliconKid said:

When you have BMS comms working properly the charge rate settings, and several others, are no longer configurable. The BMS takes over and decides what's best. 

Again, that's the whole point. Inversion of control. You don't manually set things, the BMS takes control. 

The 2 settings related to charging current, in particular, are no longer settings, they are now actually real time display values simply showing you how many amps your batteries are drawing at any given point in time. 

It always amuses me that people are so conditioned to setting everything manually that when the BMS takes over and locks settings down and auto configures values they get confused, and still try to override it :)

I understand and agree. The idea around limiting (not setting) the AC charge current is that when\IF I switch over from batteries to grid during the morning (5am - 8am) mostly when it happens, there is no need to go crazy with the current draw from Grid to get the batteries up to wherever it wants it, when there will be plenty of solar available within hours and can then  max out charge current to get the batteries up to 100%.  Load at that stage is max 400W(mostly 200 - 300W), so running at say 15A(even 10A)  AC charge limit,  is more than enough to cover load and replenish the batteries until solar kicks in.  

Interesting that @Digital Clouds is showing 002.003 and mine is currently on 002.001.

Not quite sure how he's running a more recent version than me unless the firmware updates I was sent actually revert that revision number to a lower number than the one that is currently on the shipping units coming out of the factory. 

And I also just want to re-iterate that BOTH firmware updates are necessary for everything to work correctly as far as we can tell. 

8 minutes ago, SiliconKid said:

Currently mine looks like this:

Screenshot_20200323-070939.jpg

Thanks, weird they all differ. On my inverter itself it says 500 07 C27. and 002 03 518

I would really like to get my hands on the software protocol that they have inserted into the Pylontech BMS to take charge of the inverter. If one adds it to external monitoring software then basically any Lithium can be controlled properly, effectively turning the inverter into an AI.

Food for thought.

3 hours ago, SiliconKid said:

Interesting that @Digital Clouds is showing 002.003 and mine is currently on 002.001.

Not quite sure how he's running a more recent version than me unless the firmware updates I was sent actually revert that revision number to a lower number than the one that is currently on the shipping units coming out of the factory. 

And I also just want to re-iterate that BOTH firmware updates are necessary for everything to work correctly as far as we can tell. 

Morning All,

I was actually onsite as well assisting with the firmware loads :) I received them from Growatt - but file names, versions and sizes matches what @SiliconKid supplied 100%. Tried on two sites where the Growatts were supplied by the same installer - and in both cases only firmware 1 loaded. I gave feedback to Growatt and will update if I receive a response. The 2nd firmware didn't error - it just never started - counted down on the "sending start"  from 999 to 0 - then starts again - nothing happens..

@Tsa - I'm battling to find the manual or link that refers to the CORRECT pin outs - The V2.0 Growatt manual (page 8 only shows the one side - IE - Pin1, Pin2 - not the crossed side  - but I clearly remember seeing this somewhere - maybe Growatt sent me the engineering schematics of the pin outs at some point - trying to find it again. Where did you find the correct pin outs?

Whats interesting is that I assume a correct BMS cable is not supplied in the box - seems some distributors throw a cable in the box, others not - so wondering if this is not the reason why people are struggling - incorrect cables mostly.

What also seems to be a challenge is different manual versions. Dyness Powerbox (lets say V1.0) shows the dip switches like the pictures earlier posted -  off/on/off/off for Growatt - but the latest powerbox manual (V2?)  makes a distinction. It says : "for Growatt uses off/on/off/off" - but then also "for Growatt SPF off/on/on/off" - added in a later revision.. confusing as hell.

Just glad people are finally having some success with it talking properly.

Both sites seem to show the "newer" FW:

image.png.be3c3af866abda27e45dc40ca91f8112.png

Edit:  Found this is a Dyness manual:

Seems Pin out is 1 - > 2, 3 -> 1

image.thumb.png.110322ad68c9f22ac7bf5f9d9559ee44.png

Edited by Igubu

On 2020/03/13 at 6:33 PM, werries said:

Did you do the Factory reset after the firmware upgrade?

Have no problem disabling the beep here.

@werriesI just want to confirm that you are also on the same FW ( 500.07 / 002.03) and that you can disable the beep when pressing buttons on the inverter and this is also the SPF5000TL HVM inverter model?  Growatt now telling me no, it isn't possible with the BOF setting on program (15). 

9 hours ago, SiliconKid said:

Perhaps there are subtle differences in the actual inverters? Newer stock with perhaps some tweaks, which could explain the slight difference in FW version and the fact that neither of my two or a friends two growatts accepted the 2nd FW. These were all installed first week of March.

??? 

On 2020/03/21 at 1:33 PM, Tsa said:

All right guys, I am happy to report back that Dyness came to the party and sorted out my issue. The CEO and owner of the importing company of Dyness in SA came to visit me on Thursday night with new PC boards and the latest firmware for the batteries. Unfortunately we were quarantined in the garage with only water to drink, but maybe next time :) 

It's now running like a jet. Li (05)and profile L01(36). BMS comms now working 100%, SOC in % and all controlled by the BMS ....AND....no drops\trips since the update! Happy times!  :)

I must say excellent customer service and great guys to work with. I really appreciate the fact that a plan was made to resolve my issue. 

The Dyness China colleagues were planning on coming to SA at the start of the past week, but the travel ban stopped that. They would have come in, done 2 weeks quarantine, and attend the Solar Africa show as well as sort out these battery firmware upgrades. Unfortunately the travel ban stopped that idea. 

Hey Bud,

which ports did you plug it into on growatt and battery?

got mine done today still having error 04 if plugged int can and port in on rs 485 port I get 04 and 20

1 hour ago, willietes said:

Hey Bud,

which ports did you plug it into on growatt and battery?

got mine done today still having error 04 if plugged int can and port in on rs 485 port I get 04 and 20

Growatt = BMS port and Battery = IN port

Also double check your Dip switches to be on 0110 on host battery, 0000 on all slaves. 

Double check the comms cable pin outs are correct as well. 

@SiliconKid

Good day - new to the group and just installed my Growatt 5000 series with a US3000 Pylontech battery last Fri.

Your posts have saved me a lot of headache on setting up BMS comms - thank you very much!!!

Similar to other posts I also have an issue where my inverter is not charging the battery even though BMS comms has been established successfully..

Can you kindly share the firmware updates with me? Would really appreciate your help. [email protected]

11 hours ago, Tsa said:

Growatt = BMS port and Battery = IN port

Also double check your Dip switches to be on 0110 on host battery, 0000 on all slaves. 

Double check the comms cable pin outs are correct as well. 

Hi @Tsa

Sadly I do not have the Dip switch model. I even got the Cable from the supplier and that does not work at the moment. 

@willietes hmmm unsure of what setup should be on the non-DIP batteries. Do you only have a single battery?

You have confirmed that cable is in the correct sockets?

Growatt BMS port to  Battery  IN port?

I would still confirm the pin outs just to be sure.

image.thumb.png.a17c1f8939e26e1e36b13a881ca86749.png

battery PIN1 to inverter PIN 2,battery PIN3 to inverter PIN 1

Setting on inverter (05 = Li) and then (36 = L01).

Edited by Tsa

Yes, you would typically only need those pins.

Hmm, difficult one. Maybe when you have time, take a few photos of the config you currently have and post here. Cable, battery, inverter configs. Maybe a video of what you are seeing happening. 

I think Andy has given you my number, so you can whatsapp as well, but might get more exposure here and better help from others more qualified than me. :)

What I also would suggest is reset everything. Factory reset your inverter and then switch it off. LCD should be off. Keep it off for 5mins at least.  Same with your batteries, sleep and switch off on manual switch. Power up batteries, power up inverter and then reapply your settings on the inverter and see what happens. 

Also please check the firmware versions mentioned here before. You should be on FW version 500.007 and 002.00x.

Edited by Tsa

4 hours ago, Tsa said:

What I also would suggest is reset everything. Factory reset your inverter and then switch it off. LCD should be off. Keep it off for 5mins at least.  Same with your batteries, sleep and switch off on manual switch. Power up batteries, power up inverter and then reapply your settings on the inverter and see what happens. 

Also please check the firmware versions mentioned here before. You should be on FW version 500.007 and 002.00x.

Hi

These are my versions the second shows zeros. not so sure about that. 

Maybe that is part of the prob

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by willietes

That looks fine. Just not sure about the 2nd one, but have seen this before as well and then when I check again the next day it does display a proper version number.

5 minutes ago, willietes said:

Hmmmm maybe reapply the firmware?

I take it you did do both firmware upgrades as per the stuff SiliconKid shared? FIRST and SECOND folders?

I would still suggest this before doing a reflash of the firmware:

7 hours ago, Tsa said:

Failing that: "Maybe when you have time, take a few photos of the config you currently have and post here. Cable, battery, inverter configs. Maybe a video of what you are seeing happening. "

@SiliconKid, your posts are a great help - thanks!  I am assisting my father in law in Vleesbaai remotely from Paarl and I think we are 90% there. He has the 5kW Growatt with 2 Pylontech batteries.  My suspicion is that he still needs at least one of the firmware upgrades. The Li symbol is shown and doesn’t flash, but battery status is shown in V and not % on the home screen. The current firmware is 500.06/002.03/ according to ShinePhone. Please could you send the upgrade files to me? [email protected]