Axpert MKS II SUB (Solar-Utility-Battery) mode

Denarius

As per my experience, here are the models that have solar & utility sharing capability:  Axpert VM II, VM III, King and of course the hybrids like InfiniSolar V, VII and InfiniSolar models.

Axpert MKS II doesn't have sharing at least in battery mode (I never tested it without batteries). It would have been really great for Axpert MKS II to also have this feature but it doesn't seem to exist. 

Secondly, all the high solar voltage models seem to need at least 180-200VDC from solar for proper functioning. So I wouldn't suggest connecting these inverter with less than 6 solar panels of 72 cell for proper functioning of solar controller.

• 10 months later...
On 2020/04/10 at 7:58 PM, flltech said:

Axpert MKS II doesn't have sharing at least in battery mode (I never tested it without batteries). It would have been really great for Axpert MKS II to also have this feature but it doesn't seem to exist. 

The SUB output source priority is present in the Axpert MKS II's updated model, known as the PIP-5048MGX, and probably also as the Axpert MKS III (Voltronic are slow at times to update their web site with the latest models). This model is basically an Axpert MKS II but with removable display (and therefore the ability to talk to a battery's BMS), plus SUB mode.

You can use any Axpert, even a 1 kW, make sure it is a MKS version, and 24 volt, as the fan is the much quieter than the other versions, unless noise is not a factor.

Now if you want to expand one day then you have a lot of choices 

1 hour ago, Tariq said:

You can use any Axpert, even a 1 kW, make sure it is a MKS version, and 24 volt, as the fan is the much quieter than the other versions, unless noise is not a factor.

Now if you want to expand one day then you have a lot of choices 

Thanx for the feedback, MKS version it is.

13 minutes ago, Durbanguy said:

Noise is not a big issue but I do want to keep the inverter in the Lounge behind the TV

I think if you want to keep the inverter inside, noise will be an issue. Even in the unlikely event that they're quiet-ish during the day, at night and/or as they get older and dirtier, they will get noisier and I'm pretty sure you or your family will get annoyed by it.

Some very good information here, which has answered several of my questions - thank you!

I have recently purchased a house and I'm looking at installing an inverter system, with the aim of running mostly off-grid. 

The posts here have all been referring to the King models etc. Am I correct to assume that the bigger MAX units (7.2kW and 8kW) would function in the same way? 

I'm presently looking at the Axpert 7.2kW unit, with a 5kW solar array and 2x US3000B Pylontech batteries (may be expanded at a later stage if necessary). All of my high loads (pool pump, geysers etc.) would function during the day and then the house would run on batteries, ideally through the night, with the solar panels then charging them the following morning.

Edited by Schnavel
Spelling

On 2021/02/24 at 9:13 PM, Schnavel said:

The posts here have all been referring to the King models etc. Am I correct to assume that the bigger MAX units (7.2kW and 8kW) would function in the same way? 

If you are asking are the MAXs more or less the same as the Kings but with more power output, then no, the Kings have some extra functionality (basically, they have an AC-DC converter that allows for zero time transfer). Also, the Kings are 145 V max SCC.

As far as I know, the MAXs are more like high power versions of the Axpert MKS II, except also with removable display. So that makes them like higher power Axpert MKS III (PIP-5048MGX) (I hope I got those right).

If you like: take an Axpert MKS II, add a removable display, now you have an Axpert MKS III (PIP-5048MGX).

Take an Axpert MKS III / PIP-5048MGX and increase its power to 7.2 or 8.0 kW, and you have an Axpert MAX.

Take an Axpert MKS III and take away the ability to parallel, make the fans weirder, and cut a few corners, now you have an Axpert VM III.

Take an Axpert MKS II and take away the ability to parallel and cut a few corners, and you have an Axpert VM II.

Take an Axpert MKS II and replace the SCC with a 145 V max version, remove the SUB option, and you have an Axpert MKS (64 V or 58.4 V version).

Take a 64 V Axpert MKS and add an AC-DC converter, put back the SUB option, and you have an Axpert King.

Wow @Coulomb, that is a seriously detailed and exhaustive list!

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question - the MAX acts like the MKS III in that it has wifi, can be paralleled and can work as a Hybrid unit.

Any thoughts on these units? Although I will seldom be pulling maximum load, I like the extra "capacity" to ensure that the unit will not overload.

After reading the review, it would appear that getting 2x MKS II 5kW units in parallel, would be a better option? I plan on running the unit in SBU mode, whereby high loads would be used during the day, when there is sufficient PV available, and then the unit will run on batteries throughout the night. I plan on staying off Eskom the majority of the time, but will still have it as a back up for the rainy days / weeks, such as the one we are presently experiencing here in Joburg.

I plan on running ICC with APM on a Raspberry Pi, so that can do the communication with the Pylontech batteries, while also communicating with Sonoff switches.

On 2021/02/26 at 5:24 PM, Schnavel said:

it would appear that getting 2x MKS II 5kW units in parallel, would be a better option?

It's so hard to say. Maybe the latest MAXs have nearly all the kinks ironed out. But yes, I think that two 5 kW units might be better at present.

• 1 month later...