Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Infinisolar 5kw Plus

Took the plunge on the next test unit, picking up a 5kw plus tomorrow to start testing.Must check if Jdp's software will work with it...

it can handle 10kw of pv, but i am starting with 6.6kw i have on the roof. will post some pics once running.

It can be paralleled up to 6 times and has 2 x MPPT's on board

Mike SuperDIY has a Infini and he is also playing with some code. Maybe he can test it and see if it uses the same commands.

I don't think InfiniSolar 5kW Plus model can be connected in parallel. The manual clearly says the following:

"This inverter is not allowed to operate in parallel. Please do NOT parallel connect more than one unit in AC output connector. Otherwise, it will damage this inverter."

The three phase InfiniSolar 10kW can be connected in parallel but that too only up to three inverters.

18 hours ago, jdp said:

Mike SuperDIY has a Infini and he is also playing with some code. Maybe he can test it and see if it uses the same commands.

Mike, I can maybe give you a test app - currently I'm monitoring the basics. Data logging and settings still on the to do list. :)

6 hours ago, superdiy said:

Mike, I can maybe give you a test app - currently I'm monitoring the basics. Data logging and settings still on the to do list. :)

would appreciate it SuperDIY, would like to see if will work

6 hours ago, flltech said:

I don't think InfiniSolar 5kW Plus model can be connected in parallel. The manual clearly says the following:

"This inverter is not allowed to operate in parallel. Please do NOT parallel connect more than one unit in AC output connector. Otherwise, it will damage this inverter."

The three phase InfiniSolar 10kW can be connected in parallel but that too only up to three inverters.

it does allow for up to six units. or 30kw same as the 10kw unit, it comes with the parallel kit pre installed, see pics below

here we go with some pics, installed quickly this afternoon....   arhhgr cannot load pics too large...lemme see what i can do

20160302_152539.jpg

20160302_152551.jpg

20160302_152817.jpg

20160302_152825.jpg

20160302_152837.jpg

20160302_153000.jpg

so far today the unit has not done to badly. ordered a Modbus and SNMP card for it. think i should put another 4 x 300w pv's on each string, that will give me 4500w per string

20160303_165438.jpg

20160303_165452.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys. This machine really fills a gap in the single phase grid tie space and the fact that it's stackable really sets it apart from the other options at the price point.

Mike please keep us posted on whether it works with AICC software or if you pickup any issues.

Just been reviewing the manual, please can I have your thoughts on the following scenarios with this machine? 

Am I correct in understanding that the Infini can't blend PV with grid together (like the Imeon can) to carry the load; its in either one mode or the other (more similar to the Axpert) and its a matter of how its configured in terms of priority as to which source delivers the load. e.g. lets assume the load demand is 1000W, there is only 900W of PV available and PV is the number 1 priority to deliver the load; can the 900W of PV be blended with 100W of Eskom to be able to service the load? 

Am I correct that it can only back feed to the grid when in PV mode and there is surplus PV available; meaning that the only opportunity to back feed is when PV is carrying the load entirely on its own and there is surplus. e.g. lets assume the load demand is 1000W, there is only 900W of PV available but the inverter is currently in grid mode; can the 900W of PV be back fed? 

3 hours ago, Jackal said:

Just been reviewing the manual, please can I have your thoughts on the following scenarios with this machine? 

Am I correct in understanding that the Infini can't blend PV with grid together (like the Imeon can) to carry the load; its in either one mode or the other (more similar to the Axpert) and its a matter of how its configured in terms of priority as to which source delivers the load. e.g. lets assume the load demand is 1000W, there is only 900W of PV available and PV is the number 1 priority to deliver the load; can the 900W of PV be blended with 100W of Eskom to be able to service the load? 

I'm not sure about the 5KW model, but as I've understood, it is also a true hybrid. The 3KW and 10KW models are true hybrids which simply means that they can combine input sources to drive loads. As per your example if the load requires 1000W and only 900W PV is available, 100W will be drawn from the grid. As you've mentioned, the Axpert cannot combine sources and will go into bypass mode and draw the 1000W from the grid only.

3 hours ago, Jackal said:

Am I correct that it can only back feed to the grid when in PV mode and there is surplus PV available; meaning that the only opportunity to back feed is when PV is carrying the load entirely on its own and there is surplus. e.g. lets assume the load demand is 1000W, there is only 900W of PV available but the inverter is currently in grid mode; can the 900W of PV be back fed? 

You can set the inverter to feed back from battery power as well. If feedback is enabled and surplus PV is available, the surplus will be fed into the grid.

load = 1000W, PV = 900W - nothing will be fed into the grid, because the load requires more than what is available from PV unless feedback from battery is enabled.

5 minutes ago, superdiy said:

I'm not sure about the 5KW model, but as I've understood, it is also a true hybrid. The 3KW and 10KW models are true hybrids which simply means that they can combine input sources to drive loads. As per your example if the load requires 1000W and only 900W PV is available, 100W will be drawn from the grid. As you've mentioned, the Axpert cannot combine sources and will go into bypass mode and draw the 1000W from the grid only.

You can set the inverter to feed back from battery power as well. If feedback is enabled and surplus PV is available, the surplus will be fed into the grid.

load = 1000W, PV = 900W - nothing will be fed into the grid, because the load requires more than what is available from PV unless feedback from battery is enabled.

100% correct.

18 hours ago, Jackal said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. This machine really fills a gap in the single phase grid tie space and the fact that it's stackable really sets it apart from the other options at the price point.

Mike please keep us posted on whether it works with AICC software or if you pickup any issues.

I will advise one i am able to test them....

On 3/3/2016 at 8:30 AM, superdiy said:

I'll try and put up a link today or tomorrow.

Mike, here it is.  

Download the zip, unzip to any folder or the desktop and run the application. Please post / send me the screenshot of the Device Information screen. (PS Windows only :) )

Still early days, but more to come. Maximum values on the dials are for the 3KW infini - I need the screenshot to get your Model Type to customize features per inverter model.

http://www.spectrumsound.co.za/invertman/InvertMan_0.0.0.1.zip

Main.jpg

DeviceInfo.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry, another 'silly question'... Would either the Imeon or Infini range of inverters be able to work in a PV mode (blending solar with grid or in a grid only mode) if there was no battery bank connected at all? Or do they all need the battery bank as a capacitor of sorts to carry the load between switching modes etc? 

3 minutes ago, Jackal said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry, another 'silly question'... Would either the Imeon or Infini range of inverters be able to work in a PV mode (blending solar with grid or in a grid only mode) if there was no battery bank connected at all? Or do they all need the battery bank as a capacitor of sorts to carry the load between switching modes etc? 

Infini can be used without a battery bank.