Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Infinisolar 5kw Plus

@Mike

Any tests yet around how far you can push the unit above the rated 5000W and for how long before it complains too much? I seem to remember from a while back you did a similar test with the Inifinit 3KW unit that was quite robust with spikes for a few minutes? Just trying to gauge if it's a worthwhile option - of course price isn't mentioned anywhere yet.. ballpark perhaps?

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Igubu said:

@Mike

Any tests yet around how far you can push the unit above the rated 5000W and for how long before it complains too much? I seem to remember from a while back you did a similar test with the Inifinit 3KW unit that was quite robust with spikes for a few minutes? Just trying to gauge if it's a worthwhile option - of course price isn't mentioned anywhere yet.. ballpark perhaps?

Thanks!

i am sure i will get there in the coming week, just getting ready for Tesla practical training tomorrow

20 hours ago, Chris Hobson said:

Price R 46k mentioned somewhere not sure whether that is inclusive or not

yep anything from R42k for the std 5kw to around R46k for the plus model. All excl VAT

This seems to be a new Beta version with the plus, am i correct that there are a few extra features? i suppose the genie input will show up if one is connected....

20160306_102314.jpg

On 2016/03/06 at 0:25 PM, Mike said:

i am sure i will get there in the coming week, just getting ready for Tesla practical training tomorrow

How did the training go... expensive kit but what do you think of the Rate of Return on the investment?

4 hours ago, cvzyl said:

Hi Mike, what you going to do with the Imeon you removed? ;)

It went the next day, i always advise here when i change the test unit..... watch this space maybe in 3 months time

4 hours ago, Mark said:

How did the training go... expensive kit but what do you think of the Rate of Return on the investment?

We had to sign  a NDA ( non Disclosure agreement ) so, let me say the product looks great, so does many others....they say a ROI of 4 years,  i beg to differ... I wonder how many units will sell in S.A?  i am not convinced many

NDA ... why?

Off-grid manne has done some calcs on Tesla versus some heavy weights in battery makes, based on what was released on the Tesla batts.

According to them Tesla is rather expensive compared to the real deep cycle lead acid batteries over +-15 years on set of batt.

Apparently the devil is in the detail: How deep and how frequently you can discharge the Tesla compared to the lead acids.

BUT, the nice clean spiffy looking Tesla battery, jho jho jho , it looks really very pretty.

That is if you can use your existing charge controller and inverter.

Is what I read.

2 hours ago, The Terrible Triplett said:

That is if you can use your existing charge controller and inverter.

Is what I read.

nope, but yes to solar edge with micro inverters....

Mike I only now see you state they can run in parallel. Is it the case? 

I think I need to get these units. I will not have to replace my batteries as I wont be using them on a daily basis only when we have load-shedding. So even if it is more expensive in the long run it will be cheaper as batteries are the expensive thing. 

The graph of the last months generation from the Infini. I must admit i expected slightly more, so i had better change the cable up 2mm to minimize some loss. I still have to upgrade the panels to 15 per string, so 4 more per string to go.......

march daily solar in.png

Wow that is still great. I only generate around 20kwh with 5.4kw of panels. I need to get a grid tied so my panels work all the time and spare my batteries. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The graph of the last months generation from the Infini. I must admit i expected slightly more, so i had better change the cable up 2mm to minimize some loss. I still have to upgrade the panels to 15 per string, so 4 more per string to go.......

march daily solar in.png

Hi Mike

How have you configured the strings and whats your current cable size... 6mm?

I assume 2x [email protected]

42 minutes ago, Mark said:

Hi Mike

Hi Mark,

that is where my problem lies, the 1st string of 11 is on 6mm, the other 11 are on 4mm if i remember correctly. going up on the roof today to check and change if it is so. I am happy with the return, just know i can get better than that. out of the 6.6kw of pv, the max i have seen at anyone time was 5.8kw, so that 800w loss is biting my arse....

I am going to add4 more panels per string to take me to full 4500w per string and then i will add 2kw of pv to the wind controller as well --- if really needed

Mike what type of meter do you have? I have the old spinning disk in the street box. Will that work with this inverter? I know that Pretoria wants to change all the meters to pre paid meters. Can grid tied work with those meters?

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Hi Mike

Hi Mark,

that is where my problem lies, the 1st string of 11 is on 6mm, the other 11 are on 4mm if i remember correctly. going up on the roof today to check and change if it is so. I am happy with the return, just know i can get better than that. out of the 6.6kw of pv, the max i have seen at anyone time was 5.8kw, so that 800w loss is biting my arse....

I am going to add4 more panels per string to take me to full 4500w per string and then i will add 2kw of pv to the wind controller as well --- if really needed

5 minutes ago, jdp said:

Mike what type of meter do you have? I have the old spinning disk in the street box. Will that work with this inverter? I know that Pretoria wants to change all the meters to pre paid meters. Can grid tied work with those meters?

I have an Enermax meter, digital unit reads import and export as i legally Net meter. Yes you can spin the rotary meter with the infini- i know of quite a few folks wheeling

3 hours ago, Mike said:

How about the following:

That way you can easily expand with your 8 more panels AND be able to add controllers if needed. By adding another 2x 6mm runs to inverter you could then get 4x strings in future.

You can also then orientate some strings in different directions.