How to configure your Victron BMV battery monitor

Hi,

Been wanting to pick some brains here on how to best configure one's BMV monitor. 

So i thought why not start a thread on it, for newbies.

Unfortunately it is not one size fits all.

So looking at data sheets. We have a 450Ahr battery bank so Setting 1 = 450 Ah.

Setting 2 is 0.2V or so below float so (26.4 -0.2V) = 26.2V

Setting 3 Tail current default is 4%. I have reduced mine to 2.8% which is still too high but at 2.7% it takes an inordinate amount of time to show 100%. Probably more accurate but I believe looking at charge voltage that 100% SOC is achieved before the BMV indicates so.

Setting 4 Charged detection time default 3 minutes mine is set to 30 min to try and counteract the fact that 2.8% in setting 3 is too high.

Setting 5 I have left at default . I went through an exercise too check my batteries' Peukert value. I changed this value and everything went to pot. So I changed it back.

Setting 6 I have left the setting on the default 95%

The other settings are going to be determined by personal preference and the individual battery bank install. The Victron manual is well written and most users should manage to get the setting 

If you have GEL or AGM batteries and one is considering a BMV, for a couple of hundred bucks extra I would get a BMV-702 with a midpoint probe. If your batteries are in balance you can blissfully carry on however if they are not you need to do something, and to quote Lord Kelvin "To measure is to know".

Interesting.

I tried  Setting 4 Charged detection time default 3 minutes mine is set to 30 min to try and counteract the fact that 2.8% in setting 3 is too high.

BMV never got past SOC of 91.7% the entire day till I reduced it back to 3 minutes. Now set at 10 minutes.

• 2 months later...

Hi All.

Quick question? Who is using the BMV 702 Relays to switch stuff?

I am having a problem with a delay in the relay (Or maybe it was designed like this)

First thing i see is that is not possible for instance to switch relay "ON" at say 99% SOC and then "OFF" again at 100% (Settings only allow for 99%)

So this means i can only start switching the relay "OFF/ON" at 98% SOC?

(Tried setting both SOC at 99% Also did not work) I have tried this as i observed that if you set the relay to switch at say 99%, it will only switch at 98.9% (So SOC is below 99%)

Anyone observed the same?

You can invert the relay (program 12) -will that help? Very difficult to determine what whether the relay can do what you want without a little background.

I use the relay to disconnect load at 65% SOC. Works fine - alarm at 70% and disconnects AC contactor at 65% was initially 70% but with electric blankets there is not enough "headroom".