Victron Multiplus II GX & Multiplus II parallel

SchyffS

Hi

Can the multi II GX 3000 & multi II 3000 be paralleled?

Will the multi II be controlled by the GX?

What is maximum PV the GX can handle?

If I want to add more PV to the paralleled multi II will I require an additional MPPT for the multi II?

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, SchyffS said:

Can the multi II GX 3000 & multi II 3000 be paralleled?

Yes. That is how you do it. You can't have two GX devices, they would conflict with each other. The model needs to match though, so if the product id of the one is 2629, the other one must be too.

These are the Multiplus-II models:

2605 MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-32
2611 MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-32
2623 MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 (ACOut2 switchable etc)
2625 MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 (externe sensor max 32A)
2628 MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 (externe sensor max 50A)
2629 MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 (ACOut2 switchable etc) (+EasySolar)

57 minutes ago, SchyffS said:

Will the multi II be controlled by the GX?

When you parallel more than one Multi, they combine into one VE.Bus system that is controlled by the GX device, and it is controlled as a whole. So yes, both Multis will be controlled by the single GX.

59 minutes ago, SchyffS said:

What is maximum PV the GX can handle?

Not sure what you are asking. There is a Multi-GX (which does not have a solar charger included), and there is an EasySolar-GX (which does). The EasySolar has a 250/70 MPPT, so 70A battery side, which is about 3500W.

1 hour ago, SchyffS said:

If I want to add more PV to the paralleled multi II will I require an additional MPPT for the multi II?

You simply add more external MPPTs. If you open up an EasySolar, you will notice that the MPPT is literally just mounted on the inside. It's just packaging, there is nothing particularly specual about it. Adding more external MPPTs simply show up as additional solarcharger objects on the GX device... exactly as it would in any other Victron system.

You also need a VE.Direct cable to connect the additional external MPPT to the GX device.

3 hours ago, VisN said:

@plonkster, I think the @SchyffS meant can a Multi II GX 3000 be parallelled with a Multi II 3000.

That bit I got... and I answered in the affirmative (in fact, that is the only way to do it... you can't pair two GX models... well you can but you have to disconnect one of the GX boards then... and why pay for two if you only need one?). You must just check that the Multi part is the same model. The GX model will most likely be a 2629, so the non-GX you pair it with must also be a 2629.

The bit that confused me is when he asked how much PV the GX can handle. The "GX" part means it has a built in control unit, so you don't have to buy a seperate Color Control/Venus-GX/Cerbo-GX. So it has nothing to do with PV, the GX does not handle PV. There is however an EasySolar-GX which bundles both the control unit AND a solar charger, so I interpreted his question as asking "how much PV can the EasySolar-GX handle", to which the answer is that it has a built-in 250/70... so roughly 50*70 = 3500W 🙂

Edited by plonkster

11 minutes ago, SchyffS said:

what is the maximum PV PER multi II 48/3000, is it only limited to the MPPT  model added?

There is no limit, the Multi is not involved in getting PV into the batteries (unless your PV is AC-coupled). The PV is limited by the size of the MPPT, and should be limited also (by the designer of the system) to the maximum charge current of the battery bank.

What is the purpose of the various AC input current limits?

32A vs 50A

I am in the ‘make decision’ phase of inverter choice, the multi II 48/3000 models are my current choice but there are differences in them that I do not understand. I don’t mean things like exclude Venus or MPPT, I mean in other specs ....