Axpert settings with 2 x pylontech 3500

DenzilHewitt

Question

Hi Guys.

Just had a solar/backup system installed with the following:

Axpert 5KVA/4000W, 2 x 3500 Pylontech batteries and 9 x 385W panels (3x3).

Anyone give me some good settings to minimise utility costs but mainly to have power during loadshedding. One weird thing is that my batteries show fully charged on the LED's on the front but the battery meter on the inverter says on 50% (well 2 bars on the little graph thing).  Is this a comma error or what?

2 main questions is what do I set the SOL/SBU at and what is the minimum I set my voltage to on program 12?

Thanks, 

Denzil

IMG-20200306-WA0111.jpeg

IMG-20200306-WA0105.jpeg

5 answers to this question

19 hours ago, DenzilHewitt said:

Axpert 5KVA/4000W, 2 x 3500 Pylontech batteries and 9 x 385W panels (3x3).

That sounds like 3S of 72-cell panels connected to an inverter with a 145 V max solar charge controller. You will likely have trouble in winter.

19 hours ago, DenzilHewitt said:

Anyone give me some good settings to minimise utility costs but mainly to have power during loadshedding.

These goals aren't really compatible. To save the most money, you need to use your battery the most. For maximum load shedding run time, you need to use your battery the least.

You have a decent battery capacity there, so I'd say setting 01 = SbU.

One weird thing is that my batteries show fully charged on the LED's on the front but the battery meter on the inverter says on 50% (well 2 bars on the little graph thing).  Is this a comma error or what?

Not really an error, but yes, it's a common problem. Just ignore the state of charge reported by the inverter-charger.

what is the minimum I set my voltage to on program 12?

I'll let actual PylonTech owners answer that one.

I note a few things about your installation; I've already mentioned the 3S of 72-cell panels issue.

You appear to have patched firmware, and it sounds like you haven't touched the installation... would it happen to be 72.70c? There was a batch of clones made that came out of the clone factory with patched firmware version 72.70c in them. Unfortunately, the firmware can't be updated, and it's the lead acid flavour of patched firmware.

Your inverter shows MS in the middle; that means that setting 28 is other than SnG. Assuming that you don't have two or more of these paralleled or connected for 3 phase, that is a potential issue. See FAQ question 3 on how to change it.

Finally, I see a cable plugged into the "CAN" port of one of the PylonTech modules. What does that connect to, as a point of interest?

On 2020/03/07 at 2:02 PM, Coulomb said:

That sounds like 3S of 72-cell panels connected to an inverter with a 145 V max solar charge controller. You will likely have trouble in winter.

These goals aren't really compatible. To save the most money, you need to use your battery the most. For maximum load shedding run time, you need to use your battery the least.

You have a decent battery capacity there, so I'd say setting 01 = SbU.

Not really an error, but yes, it's a common problem. Just ignore the state of charge reported by the inverter-charger.

I'll let actual PylonTech owners answer that one.

I note a few things about your installation; I've already mentioned the 3S of 72-cell panels issue.

You appear to have patched firmware, and it sounds like you haven't touched the installation... would it happen to be 72.70c? There was a batch of clones made that came out of the clone factory with patched firmware version 72.70c in them. Unfortunately, the firmware can't be updated, and it's the lead acid flavour of patched firmware.

Your inverter shows MS in the middle; that means that setting 28 is other than SnG. Assuming that you don't have two or more of these paralleled or connected for 3 phase, that is a potential issue. See FAQ question 3 on how to change it.

Finally, I see a cable plugged into the "CAN" port of one of the PylonTech modules. What does that connect to, as a point of interest?

Hi Coulomb.

Thanks for the info above. Ja you are right I havent touched anything. 1. Why would I battle in winter? Considering I'll have the grid to charge from if not enough daylight? Or is there a different issue?

I only have 2 batteries fitted to 1 inverter, correct. 

No idea what he has connected to the CAN Bus port? I dont have it hooked to a pi or any other network. Is that the best way to get the readings to my phone? Connecting to a pi?

Thanks for the info already given.

7 hours ago, DenzilHewitt said:

Why would I battle in winter? ... Or is there a different issue?

The issue is that in winter with colder panel temperatures, panel voltage is higher, so you'll spend more time with the panel voltage above 130 V. Above 130 V of PV, the Solar Charge Controller throttles back power to protect itself. You might not be able to "get over the hump" where higher panel current reduces the panel voltage which reduces the throttling.

3 hours ago, Coulomb said:

The issue is that in winter with colder panel temperatures, panel voltage is higher, so you'll spend more time with the panel voltage above 130 V. Above 130 V of PV, the Solar Charge Controller throttles back power to protect itself. You might not be able to "get over the hump" where higher panel current reduces the panel voltage which reduces the throttling.

Ok, what's the solution? More panels in a different configuration?