Connecting Watchpower to a MECER SOL-I-AX-5kP (King) inverter

janhoza

I am having trouble with connecting my King Inverter to the Windows 10 PC version of WatchPower V1.13
On my Android phone, no problems....

Others don't seem to have these PC problems, so I wonder if it has something to do with my inverter model?

There are several connection options available, but none work.

1. Micro USB (inverter) to USB (PC)
2. Bluetooth
3. Supplied RJ-45 (inverter) to RS-232 cable, plus a Serial to USB adapter (PC)

Method 1: I get a the following listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device manager:  
Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor request failed)
I don't know how to fix this.
Method 2: The inverter is not found as a device by my BlueSoleil Bluetooth dongle, and thus no port can be found.
Method 3: The Serial communication port is identified in Device Manager and is picked up by a Serial Port Monitor and the messages make sense (voltages etc), BUT the WatchPower program does not pickup the data.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Part of the watchpower install is to install some "drivers" on your computer.

But I also could not get it working on my MacBook Pro.  I did however  get it working on a Windows 7 computer.

I would recommend try re-installing.

The problems you describe are exactly what you would see when it didn't correctly install its "drivers" (just a bunch of binary files it copies everywhere, specifically .dll files).

Method 1 should not be a problem tho, that seems strange because the HID device used by the Axpert inverter is supported without any drivers.

Edited by Gnome

3 hours ago, Gnome said:

Part of the watchpower install is to install some "drivers" on your computer.

But I also could not get it working on my MacBook Pro.  I did however  get it working on a Windows 7 computer.

I would recommend try re-installing.

I di dthis by installing the latest version 1.13SP3

3 hours ago, Gnome said:

The problems you describe are exactly what you would see when it didn't correctly install its "drivers" (just a bunch of binary files it copies everywhere, specifically .dll files).

Method 1 should not be a problem tho, that seems strange because the HID device used by the Axpert inverter is supported without any drivers.

I do get the HID device to appear but no additional serial ports. I do believe these would be required by WatchPower.

Devices 2020-03-25 141026.jpg

45 minutes ago, janhoza said:

I di dthis by installing the latest version 1.13SP3

I do get the HID device to appear but no additional serial ports. I do believe these would be required by WatchPower.

Devices 2020-03-25 141026.jpg

If you plug directly into the USB port of the inverter it will show the "HID-complaint vendor-defined device".  You will not see a serial port show up.  It is a HID device, not a serial port.  The two concepts aren't interchangeable.  Some HID devices **can** be serial ports, but not that inverter.

If however you are connecting using their RJ45 -> Serial plug and then using your own serial port converter, that is another story entirely.  Then what shows up in your device list is a different story.

Is it working for you now that it shows up as an HID device?

If not, I'll say again that you are probably missing the binary files that watchpower copies as part of the install process

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi

Also having the same issue.

USB cable shows in HID list but WatchPower doesn't see the data or a com port.

RJ-45 to RS-232 cable with Serial to USB adapter shows as com3 but WatchPower doesn't see the data.

I've tried on two different PC's (Both windows 10)

Used the supplied CD WatchPower copy, newer 1.14 downloaded copy and WPP Tracker. Nothing works.

Bluetooth on my Android phone does however work.

I see the last post here is almost a year old.

Has anyone been able to get this working?

On 2021/06/14 at 5:19 AM, Ray1066 said:

RJ-45 to RS-232 cable with Serial to USB adapter shows as com3 but WatchPower doesn't see the data.

It could just be that your USB to serial adapter isn't one of the ones that works with WatchPower etc. Two that are known to work:

a USB to serial adapter recommendation (Communica) and another recommendation (Mecer).

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem, despite installing watchpower software in laptop HP Core i7 10th Generation, the software fails to see the Infinisolar 15KW hybrid. I have tried both  USB and RS232 connections and non works. There are no errors in the device manager indicating hardware problem.  Could some help please?

image.png.ac171c4e0fc7d486c922c2ef0c6f13c8.png

image.png

13 hours ago, JKampela said:

despite installing watchpower software in laptop HP Core i7 10th Generation, the software fails to see the Infinisolar 15KW hybrid.

The Infinis use a different protocol, and I believe that you need to be running a different monitoring app (solarpower). I'm not sure that the inverter will appear in device manager, it depends on how they implemented it. If you are using a USB to serial adapter, it should appear under ports (in Windows 10 at least). 

I originally had the same problem with my Axpert/Synerji MKS 5K inverter. Using a RS232/USB adapter I noted that Watchpower wants to work with a COM# of its choice. If that's different from the one listed in the device manager it wont work. So I renamed that COM# in the device manager to the number that Watchpower demands - bingo it works. After renaming a COM port you must restart the computer.

No problem with direct USB connection to the communication board with my W8 and W10 laptops (USB printer cable delivered with inverter). Make sure that the communication board is in working condition. By the way, the first such cable delivered was faulty. When I tried with another (spare) it worked.

11 hours ago, Coulomb said:

The Infinis use a different protocol, and I believe that you need to be running a different monitoring app (solarpower). I'm not sure that the inverter will appear in device manager, it depends on how they implemented it. If you are using a USB to serial adapter, it should appear under ports (in Windows 10 at least). 

The problem has been sorted out by new drivers (PL23XX_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v207)