Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Gman007

New Batteries failing

Posted (edited)

Hello i have 2 x 240ah omni power batteries. They are brand new. Was working 100% was getting 12 hours on them. I am not running solar just eskom power that charge it. I use a 712 bmv to monitor. Recently the batteries is dropping voltage really fast i cant be on for a hour and the system shutsdown. Also my inverter is acting strange it goes into this error state but the batteries is not even at 21v cut off then the inverter goes to red light and shuts everything down. Please see screenshots below. 
must i change anything on inverter from bulk charging or the float charge? This feels almost to me the batteries does not get charged properly. Because when i put the power back on it shows quickly that the batteries is fully charged in a couple of minutes this not right. Before it would have charge the amount of hours that it run off the batteries

10B6AFD9-45C9-4567-A72A-1C32A286CAC9.png

E25F623C-3A08-4F30-A641-2A5ACB478E3D.png

Edited by Gman007

Seems likely that one or both of your batteries are gone. The fact that they only last one hour and that they charge so fast is a classic example of a damaged battery cell.

You need to measure the voltage on the individual batteries while not charging or discharging. The one that is lower by +1.0 volts will probably have a dead cell.

That midpoint deviation is very high, definitely looks like a battery problem.

What are your charging voltages and settings. If these are new batteries they shouldn't have died so quickly under normal conditions.

Hello DeepBass9

yes thats also a issue get really high midpoint alert and when that alert comes on thats when the voltage started to drop quickly

The charge setting is on default I use a Axpert inverter. 3KVA. The bulk charging is 30A

What other of the charging do you want?

Posted (edited)

You need to set the bulk and float voltages for your battery type and bank size. I am not familiar with axperts, but lots of people on the forum have them and should be able to help.

Bulk should be 29.4V and float 27.6V from the specs above.

Edited by DeepBass9

Helllo the Bulk is on 28.2V and Float is 27V

i shared the screenshot for the battery specs. 
Not sure what the cycle and stanby voltage is? Is it the same as bulk and float? And why is it showing 14V? 

Those voltages look too low for the batteries (I'm assuming cycle is bulk and standby is float). So it appears that your batteries never really charged properly and were possibly damaged.

Although they are new, and maybe just undercharged. Changing the voltages to the correct one's may revive them.  Does anyone else have experience with these batteries? 

Hello 

I have adjusted the voltage but did not see any improve ment yet.. I dont know anyone with batteries like these thats why I am reaching out on here

19 hours ago, Gman007 said:

Not sure what the cycle and standby voltage is? Is it the same as bulk and float?

Yes, they are.

19 hours ago, Gman007 said:

And why is it showing 14V?

That's per 12 V battery module. You will have two of these in series, so double it to 28 V.

Hello Coulumb thank you! I see the cycle charge is 14.4 - 14.7 So must I take the highest? 29,4?

And the standby is 13.6-13.8 and 27.6V?

No, I would take the lowest voltages, since the ideal voltages decrease with temperature, and the figures are given for 25°C.

On 2020/04/07 at 12:26 PM, GVC said:

You need to measure the voltage on the individual batteries while not charging or discharging.

On 2020/04/07 at 12:43 PM, Gman007 said:

Hello GVC

Thank you, will test it

Did you measure this @Gman007? That is the same advice as I gave you in you other thread with the same topic. Why did you start a new one?

Measure the individual batteries, that will give you a clue.