Intermittant Switching

Peter Topp

Hi

After I decided to make my home smarter. I replaced all my light switches to with Eachen ( no neutral required) as my house has no neutrals in the light switches. You need to install a capacitor in the first light for it to work (.33 mf or bigger which is supplied). I also put switches on all my side lamps, garage door, gate motor, electric fence, irrigation , xbox one,  temp  humidity switch and a rf hub. I used Sonoff switches as all of them including the Eachen switches worked off the same app as well as Google Home (a total of about 27 devices).

I had bought the switches in batches and when it came to the last order of the Eachen light switches I started having some problems. I had left the 3 gang switches for last as I was hoping I could find four gang switches, however I made do with 3 gang switches. 

This is what occurred. When I installed the last three  3 gang switches and one 1 gang switch I started to have intermittent problems. The first light on the switches would intermittently switch on/off randomly. This annoyed my wife tremendously as during the night these switches would switch on/off at any time (like a ghost house).

I spoke to the supplier who suggested I add more capacitance which I did by replacing the .33mf cap to a 1mf cap. This did not solve my problem. I then took it upon myself to do some tests.

The problem only starts when I  connected them to wifi. It did not matter where in the house the switch was connected and they all reacted the same.

This led me to believe it had something to do with the coding on that frequency that was interfering with certain switches.I have many other devices on the same wifi frequency. (cameras,  xbox , alarm, pc, laptops, google home etc.) 

I spoke to the supplier who was helpful however has no remedy to fix my problem. I returned the switches and asked if they could be replaced as they were no good to me.

The supplier said he would test the switches and if they were not faulty he would return them to me as he could not sell used open box switches. It would be too expensive to send them back to the manufacturer in China.

It came as no surprise that when the supplier tested my switches they did not show any faults. After debating my problem saying that the test done by the supplier were not done under the same environment the supplier finally graciously agreed to replace the 4 switches. After installing the new switches I have had no further problems. I hope it stays that way.

I wonder I anyone has had similar or the same problem I would love to hear your story.

So to those who intend to turn their house into a smart house beware you could have some problems.

I purposely have not mentioned the suppliers  name to protect him.

Edited by Peter Topp

• 4 weeks later...

I have read about this way of doing it. Sonoff also has a version like this. I though it was such an ingenious idea. After reading this I am glad I went with the normal Sonoff Touch versions. Luckily my house is from the 80's, way before they invented the lazy-man's cable where they don't use conduit. I have conduit everywhere and 'converting' a light to a Sonoff took no more than 10min, including pulling in a neutral.

I hope the replacements give you a good service life. I have ordered at least two spare Sonoff Touches per type just in case. I can't see myself going back to clicky light switches.

• 1 month later...

Hello Peter

I have recently had exactly the same experience with the 3 Tong Eachen (no neutral) switches. One of the channels just triggers without any input. I have done a load of testing but cannot find a specific device that interferes with the unit. After a lot of fiddling I have managed to stabilise the switch if I just use two of the channels. For now that is the way it is. Will revisit later. Also considering just putting a Sonof basic on the outside light (what the third channel was for anyway). 

Have you had issues like this with the 2 or 1 Tong switches. I am planning to do every switch in the house and just wanted to check 

Let me know pls

A

• 4 months later...
On 2020/04/16 at 10:34 PM, Peter Topp said:

Hi

After I decided to make my home smarter. I replaced all my light switches to with Eachen ( no neutral required) as my house has no neutrals in the light switches. You need to install a capacitor in the first light for it to work (.33 mf or bigger which is supplied). I also put switches on all my side lamps, garage door, gate motor, electric fence, irrigation , xbox one,  temp  humidity switch and a rf hub. I used Sonoff switches as all of them including the Eachen switches worked off the same app as well as Google Home (a total of about 27 devices).

I had bought the switches in batches and when it came to the last order of the Eachen light switches I started having some problems. I had left the 3 gang switches for last as I was hoping I could find four gang switches, however I made do with 3 gang switches. 

This is what occurred. When I installed the last three  3 gang switches and one 1 gang switch I started to have intermittent problems. The first light on the switches would intermittently switch on/off randomly. This annoyed my wife tremendously as during the night these switches would switch on/off at any time (like a ghost house).

I spoke to the supplier who suggested I add more capacitance which I did by replacing the .33mf cap to a 1mf cap. This did not solve my problem. I then took it upon myself to do some tests.

The problem only starts when I  connected them to wifi. It did not matter where in the house the switch was connected and they all reacted the same.

This led me to believe it had something to do with the coding on that frequency that was interfering with certain switches.I have many other devices on the same wifi frequency. (cameras,  xbox , alarm, pc, laptops, google home etc.) 

I spoke to the supplier who was helpful however has no remedy to fix my problem. I returned the switches and asked if they could be replaced as they were no good to me.

The supplier said he would test the switches and if they were not faulty he would return them to me as he could not sell used open box switches. It would be too expensive to send them back to the manufacturer in China.

It came as no surprise that when the supplier tested my switches they did not show any faults. After debating my problem saying that the test done by the supplier were not done under the same environment the supplier finally graciously agreed to replace the 4 switches. After installing the new switches I have had no further problems. I hope it stays that way.

I wonder I anyone has had similar or the same problem I would love to hear your story.

So to those who intend to turn their house into a smart house beware you could have some problems.

I purposely have not mentioned the suppliers  name to protect him.

I currently have this problem and I'm really frustrated. I wish I could video call an expert and have them see what's going on. I hope the supplier accept mine back too. 

Hi 

I can feel your frustration having  gone through the same experience.

The supplier did initially replace the switches that gave problems however after that I had to replace others and now I have at least two of each type of switch which are waisted in my garage.

I also had problems with smart colored  light bulbs which freeze my Eachen light switches when used. 

Convenient but problematic.

Edited by Peter Topp