Axpert 5kva Program 1 question

William-Mc

SOL and SBU have identical descriptions - Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority.
If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, battery energy will supply power the loads at the same time.
Utility provides power to the loads only when any one condition happens:
- Solar energy is not available
- Battery voltage drops to either low-level warning voltage or the setting point in program 12.

Why have two identical settings, what am I not seeing?
I just connected 3 x 330w panels, I have 4 x 260ah batteries
I tried to find a setting where I could draw from panels first, then Eskom, then batteries, not use batteries at all, could not find one
If I change program 12 to conserve batteries and use PV in daytime, will the inverter shut off during loadshedding?
Will I have to change the setting every time the power goes off?

Programs 12 and 13 are on default, what are the best settings to use for load shedding?
To conserve batteries and to be able to at least use microwave and induction hob for emergencies, mostly use gas braai daily
When ESKOM is off, I do not use oven or geyser and limit any high use items like kettle or hob, just use the minimum, TV, lights, fridge and freezer
PS we are often without power, with ESKOM equipment failing, 24hrs off is NOT uncommon in Betty's Bay

Thanks for your help
William

6 hours ago, William-Mc said:

I tried to find a setting where I could draw from panels first, then Eskom, then batteries, not use batteries at all

I don’t think it is possible to not use batteries at all on this inverter, as far as I know you do need the batteries to have a stable supply to your loads otherwise the inverter will keep switching to eskom especially in cloudy conditions. 

The 4x260AH battery bank is quite big for the 3x330W panels, Your batteries might not get fully charged in one day from PV and you would also need Eskom to get a decent full charge.

Program 12 do not make sense with two identical uses, I’m also trying to understand the logic behind this.

14 hours ago, William-Mc said:

Why have two identical settings, what am I not seeing?

The "Solar energy is not available" condition is only with the SOL option, not the SBU option. SOL switches the loads to utility at night, regardless; SBU doesn't necessarily do so.

I tried to find a setting where I could draw from panels first, then Eskom, then batteries, not use batteries at all, could not find one

The inverter-charger tries to use PV power when it's available, that means using a little battery now and then.

If I change program 12 to conserve batteries and use PV in daytime, will the inverter shut off during loadshedding?

No, you can minimise battery use by increasing the value of setting 12; that won't cause a shut off during loadshedding.

Will I have to change the setting every time the power goes off?

No.

Programs 12 and 13 are on default, what are the best settings to use for load shedding?

That depends on how much you want to preserve battery charge. Since you want to really minimise battery usage, I'd say 12 at about 51 V (the highest, depending on your exact model), and 13 at 54 V (the default), or even FUL.

PS we are often without power, with ESKOM equipment failing, 24hrs off is NOT uncommon in Betty's Bay

Yikes! I can see why keeping the battery full is your highest priority.