Gap between solar panels

Tariq

Using a carport as a base for a solar panel array, will be constructing roof truss style support structure, my question is, do I need to leave a gap between panels for expansion from heat, or can I butt them up against each other

3 hours ago, Abraham said:

Using a carport as a base for a solar panel array, will be constructing roof truss style support structure, my question is, do I need to leave a gap between panels for expansion from heat, or can I butt them up against each other

The get clamped down to an aluminium rail pretty tightly in a standard install already, so I doubt you need to worry about expansion. You do have to check the documentation that comes with the panels/modules to make sure if you can mount them like that (I assume bolting the frames down from below).

Here is a parking area (in Mariental, Namibia) entirely covered by PV modules as an example of how it could be done, leaving some gaps. Granted, it does not rain too much there (but it did on the day I took this photo).

74900494_WhatsAppImage2019-12-17at14_42_11.thumb.jpeg.3967073b46da40e12ce6ef8bac343bb3.jpeg

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I get all sentimental when it rains on that area. Look at those beautiful clouds...

81755750_10162779038010484_6216987670883598336_n.jpg.fbe0f921820fd1be3076bbd4115d3ff5.jpg

And then you hit the backroads... (the traction control on the RAV was going crazy...)

83390232_10162779039085484_7447246315127308288_n.jpg.0f7cc62d503527b231d9965e198f5cf8.jpg

Sorry, off-topic... but with this COVID19 nonsense I have to say I would much rather have been there when it came down...

34 minutes ago, RikH said:

Hey Plonk, look on the road, not in the sky! Didn't you notice you drove on the wrong side of the road!??

Haha! We're one of the 15% of countries that drive on the left. My wife is actually taking the photo from the passenger seat. I've been meaning to rent a car across the waters and go on a mini-roadtrip some day, but every time I have a Saturday or Sunday free my courage leaves me and I end up doing something else. Also, few Dutch companies like renting to a foreigner, and the one that I know that does (Sixt) charges around 60 Euro a day (compared to as little as 22 for others). As far as I could determine my SA drivers license is accepted there.

When it comes to the gravel road... you kind sorta keep to the left, but you drive wherever the road is the smoothest 🙂

Edit: Also, Eigen risico is kinda hectic sometimes, so you really want to take the add-on insurance.

Edited by plonkster