Jump to content

Sunsynk Inverter Query


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think that anyone (in South Africa in any case) can answer your questions, because I am not sure that the Sunsynk inverters have been in country that long (2+ years). Perhaps someone from Aus

My solution to the Neutral-Earth bond in the OHM 8 kW inverter. Decided to mount the power relay inside the inverter, rather than in the DB (as suggested by @Vassen).  Appears to be working well

Posted Images

7 hours ago, recre8 said:

Out of interest, is it necessary to fit such a high current relay? What current is expected to flow through earth when the relay is active and bonding neutral to earth?

Under normal circumstances, probably not much. 
 

under worst case scenario, all of it. Current will take the path of least resistance, if this happens to be the earth wire, then that will be it. Hence we cater for this worst case scenario to prevent things from burning down when the situation does arise.  It’s the same reason why the earth wire is generally the same thickness as live and neutral and for some applications, twin+earth wire is not recommended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, recre8 said:

Out of interest, is it necessary to fit such a high current relay? What current is expected to flow through earth when the relay is active and bonding neutral to earth?

Under normal circumstances, probably not much. 
 

under worst case scenario, all of it. Current will take the path of least resistance, if this happens to be the earth wire, then that will be it. Hence we cater for this worst case scenario to prevent things from burning down when the situation does arise.  It’s the same reason why the earth wire is generally the same thickness as live and neutral and for some applications, twin+earth wire is not recommended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, recre8 said:

Out of interest, is it necessary to fit such a high current relay? What current is expected to flow through earth when the relay is active and bonding neutral to earth?

Under normal circumstances, probably not much. 
 

under worst case scenario, all of it. Current will take the path of least resistance, if this happens to be the earth wire, then that will be it. Hence we cater for this worst case scenario to prevent things from burning down when the situation does arise.  It’s the same reason why the earth wire is generally the same thickness as live and neutral and for some applications, twin+earth wire is not recommended. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Vassen said:

Under normal circumstances, probably not much. 
 

under worst case scenario, all of it. Current will take the path of least resistance, if this happens to be the earth wire, then that will be it. Hence we cater for this worst case scenario to prevent things from burning down when the situation does arise.  It’s the same reason why the earth wire is generally the same thickness as live and neutral and for some applications, twin+earth wire is not recommended. 

Ah ok, but in normal circumstances where the relay is only performing the earth/neutral bond, the current flow should be near zero? My grid-tie inverter is connected using twin+earth, but I'm thinking maybe I should rather run a separate 6mm2 earth wire since it's connected before the earth leakage. That small bare conductor in the T+E isn't going to do much especially if if some fault develops that more than the bare conductor can handle but less than the MCB will trip at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, recre8 said:

Ah ok, but in normal circumstances where the relay is only performing the earth/neutral bond, the current flow should be near zero? My grid-tie inverter is connected using twin+earth, but I'm thinking maybe I should rather run a separate 6mm2 earth wire since it's connected before the earth leakage. That small bare conductor in the T+E isn't going to do much especially if if some fault develops that more than the bare conductor can handle but less than the MCB will trip at.

In most cases the earth leakage should trip even with the thinner wire before it causes damage, but if you are before the earth leakage then it could be an issue.


If you need a relay, you can check with AC/DC or even the AC/DC express. They keep a 40A relay with a 220v coil for around R80. I use them when I need to switch higher power with a sonoff. 
 

For the earth bond, I use the one from communica. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2020/10/13 at 9:42 PM, Vassen said:

Here I go. 
 

if weather is really bad and chance of loadshedding then I just un tick “use timer” 

E35B3E1A-CCF1-4A92-8E69-7D2C6923DDCC.jpeg

Hi Guys

 

Looking through these pics again and the manual, I just need to clarify the approach on:

1) Number of batteries;

2) Max consistent current draw

3) Setting on Sunsynk system screen

 

I know the max sell power should be set to your PV array size power however I see in most pics that the POWER COLUMN remains at either 5000 or 8000 depending on whether the person has 5.5kw or 8.8kw model.

Has anyone limited the power in the power column to say 3500 watt?

For example if you have two Pylon 3000C batteries with max consistent current draw of 74A combined, that means you can safely draw circa 3552 watts (74A x 48V).

From what I can see on the help screen, the Power column limits the power from the battery. 

I assume that in daytime you would still be able to use full available power from the PV array and that this will not be limited by the settings in the Power Column. Should a cloud pass by and the PV drops it could supplement from Battery or Grid (dependent on settings)

Has anyone tested this?

@Tariq - you only have 2 pylon 2000's? How do you ensure that you don't accidently push your batteries beyond the limit (25A per battery)

Thanks

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, branderplank said:

Hi Guys

 

Looking through these pics again and the manual, I just need to clarify the approach on:

1) Number of batteries;

2) Max consistent current draw

3) Setting on Sunsynk system screen

 

I know the max sell power should be set to your PV array size power however I see in most pics that the POWER COLUMN remains at either 5000 or 8000 depending on whether the person has 5.5kw or 8.8kw model.

Has anyone limited the power in the power column to say 3500 watt?

For example if you have two Pylon 3000C batteries with max consistent current draw of 74A combined, that means you can safely draw circa 3552 watts (74A x 48V).

From what I can see on the help screen, the Power column limits the power from the battery. 

I assume that in daytime you would still be able to use full available power from the PV array and that this will not be limited by the settings in the Power Column. Should a cloud pass by and the PV drops it could supplement from Battery or Grid (dependent on settings)

Has anyone tested this?

@Tariq - you only have 2 pylon 2000's? How do you ensure that you don't accidently push your batteries beyond the limit (25A per battery)

Thanks

 

 

Hi. I had 2 Us3000 batteries initially, added another recently. 
 

My system is running for about 7 to 8 months now and I’ve never had any issues with not having enough battery power, or low battery warnings. During the day my loads go over 5kw without any issues. 
 

Remember, if There’s not enough battery capacity or power available, which the bms will tell the inverter, it will seamlessly pull the balance from the grid. 
 

For me, the battery is just there to buffer the solar generation during the day, to provide some power at night and to deal with load-shedding. My essential loads are normally less than 600w, unless the oven is on.   

Ive had mine set to 5000 from the start, without any issues. Initially, I did not have max sell power set as you can see in my screenshot. However, with a recent software update, I had to set this else it was behaving strangely. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tariq and Vassen for the feedback

It makes sense that BMS would limit the current draw and inform the inverter of this

Saw in another thread something about the Pylon warranty that will be void if charge currents are overstepped and it got me wondering how you could manage this within the Sunsynk settings.

To summarise then:

1) even if you only have two batteries, and

2) you are powering essential and non-essential loads at night,

3) the BMS will tell the inverter of the max capability/draw, 

4) the inverter balance the rest of the requirement against the grid.

Therefore something like a geyser element and kettle that could be switched on at the same time early morning, drawing maybe more than 4kw, should not "hurt" the batteries

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, branderplank said:

Thanks Tariq and Vassen for the feedback

It makes sense that BMS would limit the current draw and inform the inverter of this

Saw in another thread something about the Pylon warranty that will be void if charge currents are overstepped and it got me wondering how you could manage this within the Sunsynk settings.

To summarise then:

1) even if you only have two batteries, and

2) you are powering essential and non-essential loads at night,

3) the BMS will tell the inverter of the max capability/draw, 

4) the inverter balance the rest of the requirement against the grid.

Therefore something like a geyser element and kettle that could be switched on at the same time early morning, drawing maybe more than 4kw, should not "hurt" the batteries

Correct. As long as the large loads are not on the load side of the inverter, you should be fine. If your inverter loads are too large and you have load shedding, then the inverter is going to try to pull all the power from the battery and you then run into issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 2021/01/06 at 5:46 AM, BOEnergy said:

Hi Vassen

The setup includes the 8kW Sunsync hybrid inverter, 20 x 325Watt PV panels [10 panels per string] and 5 x 3.6kWh Dyness batteries. 

Will send some pics of the setup. 

I assume you have 10 panels in series per string ?  If that's the case, I see a problem! However I could be wrong and the experts can correct  me.

Your Sunsync specs states Max solar voltage (VOC) is 370v.

If you connect 10 Pv's in series, with VOC of 45.5v, then your input will be or 455v. This could fry your inverter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tokkiebod said:

I assume you have 10 panels in series per string ?  If that's the case, I see a problem! However I could be wrong and the experts can correct  me.

Your Sunsync specs states Max solar voltage (VOC) is 370v.

If you connect 10 Pv's in series, with VOC of 45.5v, then your input will be or 455v. This could fry your inverter.

PV voltage is 100v to 500v. MPPT voltage range is 125v to 425v.

10 panels would be too much and exceed the MPPT range so it will shut down above 425v and could blow up at 500v.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Achmat said:

PV voltage is 100v to 500v. MPPT voltage range is 125v to 425v.

10 panels would be too much and exceed the MPPT range so it will shut down above 425v and could blow up at 500v.

Do you calculate ate STC or NMOT?

Because 441VOC is probably well within the capabilities of the degree of variance of the inverter than 470VOC.

I find, in practice that 10 Canadian panels never exceed 390VOC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PaulinNorthcliff said:

Do you calculate ate STC or NMOT?

Because 441VOC is probably well within the capabilities of the degree of variance of the inverter than 470VOC.

I find, in practice that 10 Canadian panels never exceed 390VOC.

NMOT. 

I have 11 x 305w panels and only get a max of 360v in the morning then drops to 330v as the panels heat up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...