Lightly patched firmware version 71.80a for Axpert MKS II 5-48

Coulomb

This is a beta version of the patched firmware version 71.80a, based on factory firmware version 71.80 for Axpert MKS II 5K-48, PIP-5048MG, and equivalents. It is not to be confused with factory firmware version 71.80 for the Axpert King and PIP-5048MK. The only changes are that the two premature float bugs are fixed, and the version number on the LC Display is different.

71.80a (and 71.80) should be direct update replacements for firmware versions 71.70 and 71.71. However, 71.80 handles 4 extra CAN commands, so it is probably wise to update all paralleled / 3-phase machines at once. 71.80 has unannounced and undocumented new BMS features; see this post. New ^DnnnBMS command documented (by me) here.

This is untested apart from disassembling the patches. As always, use at your own risk.

File and download instructions here: https://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=78818#p78818

Edited by Coulomb

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Coulomb!

First time poster, long time lurker! I just wanted to let you know that i updated one of my PIP-5048MG's from 71.40 to your patched version. Unfortunately i haven't had my setup running properly until today so therefore i dont know what differences there are, but it is running fine. Updating went without a hitch. I will be updating the other one as soon as i get it hooked up. It is a newer one with 71.70 already on it, so not as big a jump.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to fix the firmware, and look forward to any more fixes you may make to it! (lithium would be handy! 😜)

Thanks

Paul (U.K)

• 3 months later...

Hey Coulomb,

It seems that the AEVA forums have gone down! I have the PIP5048MG and have the float bug.I was hoping to have patched and fixed as its driving me nuts with my new 20kWh LifePO4 battery bank. Any chance you can host the download and installation instructions here?

Many thanks for your work!

Regards,

Ben (Aus)

2 hours ago, 88benjy88 said:

It seems that the AEVA forums have gone down!

Any chance you can host the download and installation instructions here?

Alas, I've not heard anything. Unfortunately, the structure of the forum doesn't lend itself to finding pages in archive.org or Google cache. I suspect that the firmware update instructions are on page 27, if that helps anyone else find it from cache (Google has many pages cached, but page 27 doesn't seem to be among them at present).

AEVA is back now; you may need to fiddle your browser's address to get past the "suspended page" URLs. It seems that the account was suspended by AEVA's hosting service, with no reasons given, and AEVA's web master was busy all day.

Hi coulomb, its been a while since I installed your patched firmware which has given me a bit of time to see how it was getting on. However i have found a two problems, one is the version screen does not come up the same as you say, it only has one line before the version not two as you say.

Secondly and more importantly is that the power in from the panels is jumping around alot, and im talking from 700w to 0w and then upto 500w. Meanwhile the fans increase RPM when it drops and decrease RPM when its up at 700w for example.

I tried reflashing with your patched firmware to see if it might have been a bad flash, but ended up rolling back to 71.71, which gives a more consistent output and actually more watts. I am yet to try 71.80 stock, but wanted to let you know about my findings so far. I have some videos on my google drive of the effects if you'd like to see them i can send a link.

12 hours ago, Chass90 said:

I am yet to try 71.80 stock

Thanks. It's looking to me that it must be something that the introduced between 71.71 and 71.80. Running factory 71.80 would prove that one way or the other.

There is also factory firmware version 71.82 now. It has what looks to me to be a bandaid fix for PV dropping out, but maybe it will fix your problem. If you're not sick of updating firmware yet, that would also be good to try.

4 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Running factory 71.80 would prove that one way or the other.

Yes, tried that after saying about it. It appears that you are correct, sun wasn't as strong, but it was dipping.

If you're not sick of updating firmware yet, that would also be good to try.

Oohhh, nope I'll give that one a try, and ill report back.

My setup is totally off-grid so i cannot comment on grid assist, or the bypass mode of these inverters.

Thanks Coulomb

If you're not sick of updating firmware yet,

One last suggestion. I happen to have already lightly patched 71.71 for another forum member. I never published it because it displays as 71.72 (so there is possible confusion with a real 71.72), and I assumed that it would be obsolete. That way, you'd have the advantage of the two premature float bugs fixed, and based on a version that you know works (or did work for some time). Let me know if you are interested/desperate.

17 hours ago, Chass90 said:

However i have found a two problems, one is the version screen does not come up the same as you say, it only has one line before the version not two as you say.
Secondly and more importantly...

That was actually potentially important. Thanks for the bug report; they are always welcome. It might have caused some value in RAM to get corrupted, which could potentially make the patched firmware do bad things.

However, I have analysed the 71.80a patches, found the error, and concluded that the effect of the patch bug is limited to that one segment's RAM (each of the 129 segments in the LC Display has a staggering 10 bits of RAM associated with it, using up 16 bits each). So there is no chance that the patch bug (I neglected to clear a register) will cause any serious problems.

Phew! 😅

1 hour ago, Coulomb said:

Let me know if you are interested/desperate.

I am interested, as I'm curious to see for myself the premature float bug problem. But I'll give 71.82 a go first and see if its fine. I assume it still has the float bugs?

23 minutes ago, Coulomb said:

That was actually potentially important. Thanks for the bug report; they are always welcome.

Yes, No problem, if no one reports back how are we to improve. Just my little contribution.

Not Sunny at all today but v71.82 is dipping as well. Could i get a copy of patched v71.71 to try, as this seems to be the last version that was working properly.

Therefore anything from v71.80 above for the moment seems broken.

Have you had a look at the differences between the two?

Thanks again

13 hours ago, Chass90 said:

Could i get a copy of patched v71.71 to try,

Please see PM.

13 hours ago, Chass90 said:

Have you had a look at the differences between the two?

I'm a bit snowed under with things to check. I'll try to get to it.

Please see PM.

Thank you!

I'll try to get to it.

Don't worry too much, if this firmware works then it is only out of interest as to why. I'm sure you are more than busy with that set of skills! 😃

I will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again @Coulomb