MPPT controllers

Solar newbie

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi Jaco I have a Acdc 3kva 24v inverter it's basically the expert plus model. I'm battling to find the best solution to get maximum pv power. The maximum for the inverter is 1500w 70v to 115v max. 

Now I currently have the 2 x 285w panels and I'm not happy with its performance. Now I thought I could get an external mppt with 4 bigger panels and connect them directly to the inverter and leave the ather 2 I have on the inverter. 

Or cut my losses and buy 4 x 370w panels which will give me 1480w which is on the limit of my inverter. 

Just to give you some info on my load and what I want to accomplish. 

I'm running all my lights, double fridge, deep freezer, wifi router, TV, Dstv and a Playstation and washing machine. At peak I'm probably running at 900w but average 550w as I'm not running all the things at the same time. 

Now I would like to run on pv in the day time but also want to keep charge on my batteries for the night. I have 2 x 200ah lead acid batteries I use to get 8 hours from them before I connected the pv modules and now it's really not doing good. 

Im really puzzled on what to do to get the best from my system. 

45 minutes ago, Hannes Bester said:

Hi Jaco I have a Acdc 3kva 24v inverter it's basically the expert plus model. I'm battling to find the best solution to get maximum pv power. The maximum for the inverter is 1500w 70v to 115v max. 

Now I currently have the 2 x 285w panels and I'm not happy with its performance. Now I thought I could get an external mppt with 4 bigger panels and connect them directly to the inverter and leave the ather 2 I have on the inverter. 

Or cut my losses and buy 4 x 370w panels which will give me 1480w which is on the limit of my inverter. 

I would say, use the 4 x 370 watt and max out your inverter.

Then we need to know what the max allowed charging current for your specific battery's are? From there we can calculate if adding another MPPT with some more panels would be beneficial and if you are at risk of damaging your batteries. 

If not, adding a Small Victron MPPT might be the best option, it would allow you to fine tune the MPPT to act as a slave to your exiting  Inverter without having real communication between them. But it will need some testing and a bit of trial and error to get it working perfectly.  

9 hours ago, Jaco de Jongh said:

I would say, use the 4 x 370 watt and max out your inverter.

Then we need to know what the max allowed charging current for your specific battery's are? From there we can calculate if adding another MPPT with some more panels would be beneficial and if you are at risk of damaging your batteries. 

If not, adding a Small Victron MPPT might be the best option, it would allow you to fine tune the MPPT to act as a slave to your exiting  Inverter without having real communication between them. But it will need some testing and a bit of trial and error to get it working perfectly.  

Thanks Jaco. I'm going to go with the 4 x 370w panels and see how they perform and then install the other two with the external mppt. 

Thanks for your advice I appreciate it