Axpert King 5KW - AC Power Active Output Check

MarinusW

Good Day

I had installed the Axpert King 5Kw Inverter with Solar and Battery. Is there some output on the inverter I can tap off from to determine electronically (High or Low or voltage of some sort or open or closed switch) if the AC power feed is available or not. 

The reason I ask is I want to connect my SMS unit to the Inverter to notify me of any possible Power interruptions from the Utility side so that I can disable (Automatically or manually) some high usage items like the borehole while on Battery Power. 

Thank You in advance!

2 hours ago, MarinusW said:

Is there some output on the inverter I can tap off from to determine electronically (High or Low or voltage of some sort or open or closed switch) if the AC power feed is available or not.

I don't believe that there is anything built-in to the inverter-charger that would do this, but a DIN mount (or other) 230 V relay connected to AC-in would do it.

On 2020/04/25 at 11:53 AM, MarinusW said:

so that I can disable (Automatically or manually) some high usage items like the borehole while on Battery Power. 

I use the ICC add-on Advance Power Management (APM) to automatically switch my pool pump based on available power

On 2020/04/25 at 2:49 PM, Coulomb said:

I don't believe that there is anything built-in to the inverter-charger that would do this, but a DIN mount (or other) 230 V relay connected to AC-in would do it.

Thanks. Yes that was my last resort but was hoping for a more elegant way to do this :) 

14 hours ago, wolfandy said:

I use the ICC add-on Advance Power Management (APM) to automatically switch my pool pump based on available power

Thanks for the reply. This sounds interesting. I did a quick Google search and found this https://iccsoftware.co.za/product/icc-advance-power-management/ Is that what you are referring too? Will that interface to the Axpert King? 

Edited by MarinusW

5 hours ago, MarinusW said:

Thanks for the reply. This sounds interesting. I did a quick Google search and found this https://iccsoftware.co.za/product/icc-advance-power-management/ Is that what you are referring too?

Yup - that is the one. It draws the data from ICC, so you do need to have ICC also.

APM then controls Sonoff switches that have been flashed with Tasmota (really easy to do for the newer Sonoff Basic R3) via wifi - which means that it does not need to be installed close to your inverter as long as it has wifi reception.

You can set APM based a number and combination of variables. I am currently using the following conditions for my pool pump:

• On between 09h30 and 16h30
  • On if battery SOC > 30%
  • On if battery watts > 900W (as my pool pump draws about 800W)
  • Off if battery watts < -300W for more than 30 seconds (the delay feature was added in the latest version last week)

So if any large loads are switched on in the house (e.g. my domestic starts vacuum cleaning), then the pool pump switches automatically off if there is not sufficient PV - and then on again once the vacuum cleaner has been switched off

5 hours ago, MarinusW said:

Will that interface to the Axpert King? 

I have an old Axpert myself, but the Axpert King is listed under supported inverters on the ICC website

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/04/27 at 10:11 AM, Chris Louw said:

I use the Dry contact signal to switch high load of when it is cloudy . Do not want to use the batteries . Don't have utility .

This is interesting - I was hoping to hear if someone used the Dry Contacts. I read in the manual about the Dry Contact Signal but could not see one that gives me an indication that the Utility Feed is down. Only that the Inverter is on or off or if the output is powered form utility, solar or battery. Maybe I am missing something?

On 2020/04/27 at 1:13 PM, wolfandy said:

Yup - that is the one. It draws the data from ICC, so you do need to have ICC also.

APM then controls Sonoff switches that have been flashed with Tasmota (really easy to do for the newer Sonoff Basic R3) via wifi - which means that it does not need to be installed close to your inverter as long as it has wifi reception.

You can set APM based a number and combination of variables. I am currently using the following conditions for my pool pump:

• On between 09h30 and 16h30
  • On if battery SOC > 30%
  • On if battery watts > 900W (as my pool pump draws about 800W)
  • Off if battery watts < -300W for more than 30 seconds (the delay feature was added in the latest version last week)

So if any large loads are switched on in the house (e.g. my domestic starts vacuum cleaning), then the pool pump switches automatically off if there is not sufficient PV - and then on again once the vacuum cleaner has been switched off

I have an old Axpert myself, but the Axpert King is listed under supported inverters on the ICC website

Thanks for the info.
One thing - I see they show AExpert King as supported on https://iccsoftware.co.za/ ? Where do they show unsupported inverters?

What is the rating of the Sonoff switch that controls your pool pump? Sorry for asking but my concern is that my Sonoff switches are 10A rated. And these are rated at resistive loads if I remember correctly. A Pool Pump is a inductive load or partially inductive if I understand correctly which means the 10A might therefore not be sufficient to handle the 0.75Kwh Pool Pump.

3 hours ago, MarinusW said:

Where do they show unsupported inverters?

Am not sure I understand your question

3 hours ago, MarinusW said:

What is the rating of the Sonoff switch that controls your pool pump? Sorry for asking but my concern is that my Sonoff switches are 10A rated. And these are rated at resistive loads if I remember correctly. A Pool Pump is a inductive load or partially inductive if I understand correctly which means the 10A might therefore not be sufficient to handle the 0.75Kwh Pool Pump.

Am using a 10A Sonoff for the pump. Has been running for 6 months now without a single problem

On 2020/04/27 at 10:11 AM, Chris Louw said:

I use the Dry contact signal to switch high load of when it is cloudy . Do not want to use the batteries . Don't have utility .

Thanks I see what you are saying. Will see how I can make that work. Thanks so much!

15 hours ago, wolfandy said:

Am not sure I understand your question

Am using a 10A Sonoff for the pump. Has been running for 6 months now without a single problem

Sorry for the confusion regarding the supported Inverters! I read your original response incorrectly. My apologies.

Thanks for the feedback on the 10A SonoFF I was concerned to use it but maybe I should give it a try. I suppose you installed it at the motor after the Earth Leakage and Trip Switch for the motor (Between the motor and the Trip Switch)? I hope mine will still be able to reach the WiFi AP from there :)

🙂

26 minutes ago, MarinusW said:

I suppose you installed it at the motor after the Earth Leakage and Trip Switch for the motor (Between the motor and the Trip Switch)? I hope mine will still be able to reach the WiFi AP from there

Mine is actually installed in the DB board. I originally had the pool pump still running straight off Eskom (when my system was only UPS) and only moved it across to my inverter DB board after I added PV. My installer managed to find space on the side of the DB board and squeezed the Sonoff in there

4 hours ago, wolfandy said:

🙂

Mine is actually installed in the DB board. I originally had the pool pump still running straight off Eskom (when my system was only UPS) and only moved it across to my inverter DB board after I added PV. My installer managed to find space on the side of the DB board and squeezed the Sonoff in there

Thanks for the feedback - really appreciate it!

4 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

There is a DB in our outbuildings . The pool circuit breaker and Sonoff is in this DB near enough to the WiFi .

I will investigate the Dry Switches a bit more and revert thanks so much!