ICC Software - change inverter mode

TimNiekerk

Question

A quick question re the settings available in the ICC Software.

Specifically info on the 'Change Inverter Mode' button.

It offers three choices: Utility, SUB and SBU.

What is SUB, is that the same as 'Solar' in 'Output source priority' on the inverter?
There are three choices on the inverter: Utility, Solar and SBU.

If I change the mode, under what conditions will the inverter change back?

Inverter Info:

Axpert Mks 4K 48VDC Inverter.

4 x 370W PV Panels

4 x 12V 200Ah Deltec (Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) Gel batteries

Axpert Mks 48V.jpg

9 answers to this question

SUB stands for Solar-Utility-Battery. In my Axpert manual it is called 'Solar First'

This means that your inverter will run on solar until PV has dropped to 0 (once the load is higher than PV it will draw the balance from the batteries). Once PV has dropped to 0, it will switch to utility.

It will switch back over to solar once it registers PV again (I think - I have never used this setting myself)

18 hours ago, TimNiekerk said:

A quick question re the settings available in the ICC Software.

Specifically info on the 'Change Inverter Mode' button.

It offers three choices: Utility, SUB and SBU.

What is SUB, is that the same as 'Solar' in 'Output source priority' on the inverter?
There are three choices on the inverter: Utility, Solar and SBU.

If I change the mode, under what conditions will the inverter change back?

Inverter Info:

Axpert Mks 4K 48VDC Inverter.

4 x 370W PV Panels

4 x 12V 200Ah Deltec (Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) Gel batteries

Axpert Mks 48V.jpg

HI Tim hope you doing well? I'm in the market for 4 x 370w panels, so I just want to know if you are happy with its performance? Have you been monitoring your systems behavior on SBU settings?

You should monitor the following in good solar days. 

Your average load, the amount of hours you are able to run only on solar and what time of the day it switch to battery and when it does switch back to utility or solar. 

By doing these checks is critical to know where you need to add the make use of minimal utility power. 

I use to get about 6 to 7 hour running only on solar but I have recently increased my load, which is why I need to increase my pv to support the load, otherwise it will start to mix battery power to support the load that will leave you with a flat battery at night when u need it most. 

7 hours ago, Hannes Bester said:

HI Tim hope you doing well? I'm in the market for 4 x 370w panels, so I just want to know if you are happy with its performance? Have you been monitoring your systems behavior on SBU settings?

You should monitor the following in good solar days. 

Your average load, the amount of hours you are able to run only on solar and what time of the day it switch to battery and when it does switch back to utility or solar. 

By doing these checks is critical to know where you need to add the make use of minimal utility power. 

I use to get about 6 to 7 hour running only on solar but I have recently increased my load, which is why I need to increase my pv to support the load, otherwise it will start to mix battery power to support the load that will leave you with a flat battery at night when u need it most. 

All good thanks, likewise.

Thanks for the feedback.

So my system was installed in Jan/Feb.

My four panels are 1480w combined. I think the one day I got 1476w. Which is damn close to max!

But that was in the summer months. Then I would get PV energy from 7am until 4pm. Unless it was a very cloudy day.

I typically only load my system between 500w to 1000w. (Fridges, Computers, TV's, Lights)

Now that it is cooler and very cloudy I am not getting much PV energy.

I assume it is because we are moving into Winter that is causing this, and not that I had to change my inverter(due to issues with the 3k (24v) inverter).

I now have a 4k (48v) inverter. So I am hoping that the lower PV energy is not the new inverter operating differently.

However, just after the new inverter was installed at the end of March, there were a couple of days where a lot of PV energy was generated.

With the 3k inverter I was at max panels, however with the 4k inverter, I can add another 5, which I will do soon.

I do monitor my installation using the ICC software running on a Raspberry Pi.

Just a note, I use SOL and not SBU mode.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, TimNiekerk said:

All good thanks, likewise.

Thanks for the feedback.

So my system was installed in Jan/Feb.

My four panels are 1480w combined. I think the one day I got 1476w. Which is damn close to max!

But that was in the summer months. Then I would get PV energy from 7am until 4pm. Unless it was a very cloudy day.

I typically only load my system between 500w to 1000w. (Fridges, Computers, TV's, Lights)

Now that it is cooler and very cloudy I am not getting much PV energy.

I assume it is because we are moving into Winter that is causing this, and not that I had to change my inverter(due to issues with the 3k (24v) inverter).

I now have a 4k (48v) inverter. So I am hoping that the lower PV energy is not the new inverter operating differently.

However, just after the new inverter was installed at the end of March, there were a couple of days where a lot of PV energy was generated.

With the 3k inverter I was at max panels, however with the 4k inverter, I can add another 5, which I will do soon.

I do monitor my installation using the ICC software running on a Raspberry Pi.

Just a note, I use SOL and not SBU mode.

Cheers,

Sounds like a very nice setup you have there. I am currently running the 3kva which is why I'm going for the 370w panels. I'm not even sure if mine has that setting (SOL) how does it function? 

13 minutes ago, Hannes Bester said:

Sounds like a very nice setup you have there. I am currently running the 3kva which is why I'm going for the 370w panels. I'm not even sure if mine has that setting (SOL) how does it function? 

Setting 1 on the Axpert inverters.

Solar first: Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, battery energy will supply power the loads at the same time. Utility provides power to the loads only when any one condition happens: - Solar energy is not available - Battery voltage drops to either low-level warning voltage or the setting point in program 12.

1 minute ago, TimNiekerk said:

Setting 1 on the Axpert inverters.

Solar first: Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority. If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, battery energy will supply power the loads at the same time. Utility provides power to the loads only when any one condition happens: - Solar energy is not available - Battery voltage drops to either low-level warning voltage or the setting point in program 12.

I just had a look, mine is also on SOL I actually taught in was on SBU. My load is about the same but I'm lacking in battery capacity I currently have 2 x 200Ah lead acid batteries, I want to replace it with 4 x 200Ah gell batteries but it's a lot of money and it's very difficult to get approval from the financial manager 🤨

2 minutes ago, Hannes Bester said:

I just had a look, mine is also on SOL I actually taught in was on SBU. My load is about the same but I'm lacking in battery capacity I currently have 2 x 200Ah lead acid batteries, I want to replace it with 4 x 200Ah gell batteries but it's a lot of money and it's very difficult to get approval from the financial manager 🤨

I'm very curious on your raspberry pie setup, are u able to monitor remotely? I would like to have a remote monitor unit..... 

1 hour ago, Hannes Bester said:

Yeah. I have 4 x 200ah Gel batteries.

1 hour ago, Hannes Bester said:

I'm very curious on your raspberry pie setup, are u able to monitor remotely? I would like to have a remote monitor unit..... 

Yeah. I use VNC viewer via VNC cloud to remotely manage the PI to access the ICC software. Additionally I use Dataplicity to access the web page remotely. It creates a wormhole which can be switched on/off.