New member checkin- regulations

Good afternoon.

My apologies if this is Issue has been discussed. I have searched and do understand the issues around Cape Town regulations.

I stay in Tswane and note the draft bylaw has been floating around for a bit.  I have had no response on queries to the council. 

All of municipal bylaws  are obviously  based on the  SSEG guidance for municipalities.  (NRS 097 2 1 dd 2017).  They seem heavily biased towards installations feeding power back into the grid.

Is my reading of these correct that a legal municipal installation, unless off-grid, is only possible on single phase capped at 4.6 Kva for the inverter?
Does this then imply that any inverter beyond that can only legally be used In off grid installations?

I am considering a Victron Quattro 8Kva or Multiplus 5 kva, with 12 Kwh Bluenova battery pack.  (9 Canadian solar 405 panels).  I dont intend to feed back into the grid, but would need grid on a AC in. 

A fair number of installers seem nonchalant about the regulations, but I would not want to run into legal and insurance problems.

I would appreciate clarification on this topic. Can I legally install 5 kva+?

On 2020/04/28 at 4:40 PM, Mike Charlie said:

All of municipal bylaws  are obviously  based on the  SSEG guidance for municipalities.  (NRS 097 2 1 dd 2017).  They seem heavily biased towards installations feeding power back into the grid.

That's sort of what SSEG is about - small-scale embedded generation - installations tied into the grid

Is my reading of these correct that a legal municipal installation, unless off-grid, is only possible on single phase capped at 4.6 Kva for the inverter?
Does this then imply that any inverter beyond that can only legally be used In off grid installations?

.That's the value for a single phase residence if you are on a 80A supply. If you're on a smaller supply, 60A, then it's limited to around 3.5. Anything higher needs to be on a 3-phase supply.

A fair number of installers seem nonchalant about the regulations, but I would not want to run into legal and insurance problems.

You said it.