BMS communication problem

AlexUrbRad

Good Day

I am having issues with communicating to the bms of the MaxLi LifePo4 3.5 Kw 48 V Lithium Iron Battery (SKU: YS-48-70). The Rs232 and 2 x Rs485 ports do not transmit any data (confirmed with serial monitor and an oscilloscope). Is there any special code I need to send before receiving data? I'm really only interested in getting the SOC. 
There's also a CAN bus port, I can see there's some sort of signal being transmitted on that protocol, however the signal is repetitive and does not look like a CAN signal.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

14 hours ago, AlexUrbRad said:

There's also a CAN bus port, I can see there's some sort of signal being transmitted on that protocol, however the signal is repetitive and does not look like a CAN signal.

I've seen that happen when there is nothing listening to the CAN bus, and hence nothing acknowledging the packets. It will retry endlessly. Acknowledging the packets is just pulling the line low at the appropriate time, and this happens automatically when a second CAN device is connected, even if it is only listening, and even if the CAN ID is not of interest.

Edit: so you might need to change some BMS setting to send data over RS-232 or RS-485 instead of over CAN.

Edited by Coulomb

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...