Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason
Peyper

Mecer 2400va Trolley - Can I add solar regulator?

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 2400va Mecer Trolley inverter. 

Can I use a solar panel and my WRND 20A solar regulator direct to the batteries ?

Mecer do have a solar charger available @ R1 000 , then the solar panel plug direct into the Mecer box / trolley.

I want to bypass the inverter en connect my WRND straight onto the batteries.

Will this be safe to do?

Regards,

image.thumb.png.8aa4cebf2f64fd416dae8c0722dc0f5e.png

image.png.2bec86d91f2a2698f69b71c54bf58f98.png

On 2020/05/20 at 4:33 PM, plonkster said:

I can't see why not. Just fuse it. When unsure, fuse it 🙂 Use a DC-rated fuse. At 24V an automotive fuse is acceptable.

What size fuse I would start if with one or two x 80W panels 

57 minutes ago, Peyper said:

Sounds like I've been hitting the pineapple beer.... Lol 

What size fuse would I need if I use 1 or 2 x 80w panels? 

4 hours ago, Peyper said:

Well, you said its a PWM controller, so the power of the panels don't matter, the peak current capability does. If it's an 80W panel then I assume it's a 36-cell module that makes its peak power around 18V, so its going to make 80/18 ~= 4.5A. With the two panels in series (cause its a 24V setup) the current will remain the same. So a 10A fuse will do just fine. The fuse is there to protect the cable, in case something goes wrong with the charge controller and it starts shunting large currents through those cables.

Of course, you're only going to get around 24 * 4.5 ~= 110W of power out of your two 80W panels. Welcome to the world of PWM controllers, where the charge controllers are cheap and the watts don't matter .... 🙂

I saw this on MyBB forum:

This guy connects the straight to the back of the 2400Va Mecer inverter.

"My setup doesn't have have any switching. I just have the solar charge controller 28.8 v +ve & -ve straight on to the +ve & -ve on the back of the Mecer. It works a treat. In full sun the solar overrides the Mecer charger, and with no sun the Mecer takes over (eg: at night).
I've tested it by: killing mains, Mecer runs off batteries. Then kill batteries - Mecer carries on running off solar alone. Been like this for 4 months now and no problems."

Scan0002.jpg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Peyper said:

This guy connects the straight to the back of the 2400Va Mecer inverter.

Nothing wrong with that... just fuse it... 🙂

If anything goes wrong with the solar charge controller and it ends up causing a short circuit of some kind, you want the fuse to pop and not the wiring to turn unto red hot house-fire-setting elements.

That's why I said in a previous post a 10A fuse will be fine. It's more than double what you need, but its purpose is to blow if anything goes wrong... and since the battery can supply a good 100A without a sweat, 10A will do just fine here.

2 hours ago, Peyper said:

Then kill batteries - Mecer carries on running off solar alone

I would not do that. It probably won't damage anything, but when you do that you have only the capacitors on the DC bus to cushion the starting of loads, temporary clouding, or an MPPT that decides to rescan...

Also... the picture shows 48V worth of batteries on a 24V inverter... 🙂

Edited by plonkster

Cheers Plonkster, much appreciated.

Just saw 4 x 120ah Omnipower batteries on Gumtree for R12k - bought new in March 2020 and never used.

Yay or Nay?

6 minutes ago, Peyper said:

Just saw 4 x 120ah Omnipower batteries on Gumtree for R12k - bought new in March 2020 and never used.

Yay or Nay?

That seems fair. That's 3k a battery. Pricecheck says they are 4k new. I suspect the 120Ah rating is a C/100 rating. Real rating probably closer to 100Ah.

Batteries sold last night...damn

Can get Vision AGM and Ritar AGM.....

No idea which to go for or do I just buy the Dixon deep cycles (Flooded)

Posted (edited)

So I got a Victron smart solar 75/15 mppt. 3 x 80w panels in series. 

What does all this info mean in easy terms?

Screenshot_20200604-132314.jpg

Screenshot_20200604-132320.jpg

Edited by Peyper

3 hours ago, Peyper said:

What does all this info mean in easy terms?

The yield is how much energy you got on that day. Pmax is the peak power made on the day (usually at noon), Vmax would be the peak voltage on the PV side (that's info you want so that you know how high it went on a cold morning... cause you need to stay under 75V). I'm not sure how the consumption figure is calculated or what it means.

On 2020/06/04 at 5:22 PM, plonkster said:

I'm not sure how the consumption figure is calculated or what it means.

Thought with what seems like low solar yield maybe it is MPPT self-consumption (no idea if the MPPTs will actually show "own" self-consumption and it seems too high. Self consumption for the 75/15 is indicated as 10mA-15mA for 24V).

More likely indicates consumption of load connected to the load output (MPPT <=100/20 = load output)

31 minutes ago, introverter said:

More likely indicates consumption of load connected to the load output (MPPT <=100/20 = load output)

I think it is, and it may be including its own consumption in that figure. It's not a figure I really worry about... I never use the load output in my setups, and the larger chargers don't even have it (it's for the smaller chargers that are often used in mobile/camping rigs).