Mecer 1200va not opening garage door

Hi guys I have a a mecer 1200va connected with to a Vision 100ah. 

My garage door only open a fraction when disconnected from mains supply. 

Door opens normally once mains is back. 

Coromaster 2000 Motors x 2

I only used one at a time.... 

Couldn't get any specs for the motor anywhere. 

Check battery voltage whilst opening garage door and power is off.

Also check torsion spring adjustment: Disconnect door from door operator motor and manually open door half way. The door must not close or open from this position on its own. If manually closed a bit it should then close completely by its own weight. Similarly if opened a bit it should open fully by the torsion springs tension.

1 hour ago, Peyper said:

I had one of those... but it broke way back in December 2012. This is what the big worm gear mechanism looked like:

coromaster.thumb.jpg.f17147c2921faf25f7fee520080c2e99.jpg

These door openers have a normal 230VAC induction motor, and as a result it will have somewhat of a start spike, generally about 5 times its nominal rating. I suspect that's the issue, it simply overloads the inverter.

I have since thrown the remains of it away, but a it of googling indicates it has a 0.5 horsepower motor, which is just short of 400W. That would need a good 2kw kick when it starts. While many inverters (including the voltronics) can handle a 200% spike for about a second, I suspect your's is JUST a tad outdone by that motor.

A new low-voltage motor is around 2.5k and well worth it imho.

This is a sectional door operator, right?

If so then: Check torsion spring adjustment: Disconnect door from door operator motor and manually open door half way. The door must not close or open from this position on its own. If manually closed a bit it should then close completely by its own weight. Similarly if opened a bit it should open fully by the torsion springs tension.

• 3 months later...

I have the same motor connected to my inverter (Axpert King 5K) and can confirm it works perfect and draws about 400w.. I cant confirm a spike as if it does it is too short for ICC Monitoring to detect.

Based on my wattage and the above in-rush current requirement of 5x, it is unlikely that the 2400va (1440w) model is going to work either but it cant hurt to try if the smaller unit has protection, I would presume large version does too.

Also keep in mind that these inverters are modified sine wave and many motors will over heat or not work at all.

Sorry I cant be more encouraging

Your Mecer's VA ratings (1200 and 2400) may be the so-called "peak" power ratings. Their continuous power output ratings could be only half of that.

I used to run those Coromasters off a Cotek S1500 (1500VA continuous, 3000VA peak) pure sine wave inverter.

I suspect the Mecer 2400VA will do the job, with a bit more noise than usual. Those Mecers are not the best things for running motors.

On 2020/09/13 at 4:22 PM, Gerald_D said:

Your Mecer's VA ratings (1200 and 2400) may be the so-called "peak" power ratings.

No, they are continuous. Peak power (apparent and real) is twice the continuous rating, for just a few seconds. So a 2400 VA model should be able to start a motor of roughly 2400 * 2/ 7 ≅ 700 W continuous power.

[ Edit: I assumed that these Mecer inverters were the Axpert type, it seems that these are not. However, I'd expect the same to apply with respect to the ratings being continuous. How long they can withstand overload may be different. ]

Edited by Coulomb
10 hours ago, Coulomb said:

No, they are continuous. Peak power (apparent and real) is twice the continuous rating, for just a few seconds. So a 2400 VA model should be able to start a motor of roughly 2400 * 2/ 7 ≅ 700 W continuous power.

A few seconds is optimistic - my Meanwell TS 1500 inverter says it can handle twice the continuous power for 30 cycles (0.6sec) and that is one of the better brands.

See: https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/TS-1500/TS-1500-SPEC.PDF

On 2020/05/29 at 9:37 PM, Peyper said:

Hi guys I have a a mecer 1200va connected with to a Vision 100ah. 

My garage door only open a fraction when disconnected from mains supply. 

Door opens normally once mains is back. 

I only used one at a time.... 

Couldn't get any specs for the motor anywhere. 

Those Mecer inverters are high frequency modified sine wave inverters and they do not do well powering electric motors that surges up to 3 or 4 times their rating when they start up. Your better option would have been a Pure sine low frequency inverter like a little victron 1200 there are also other brands available that are low frequency inverters. Low frequency inverters can handle 3 times their rating for a couple of seconds where high frequency inverters can handle double their rating for a couple of milliseconds. Thats why your garage motors don't work of that inverter also the Mecer 1200 VA  is only 720 watt continues load rating.