My Luxpower 5kw hybrid inverter install

This is going to be an absolute deal breaker. The fans on these units scream depending on workrate. You cannot put them in an enclosed place UNLESS - like in my case - I built the whole job into a kitchen cupboard, used isolation to deaden the sound and installed 2 silent Xpelair fans with thermostats to keep everything under control.

20 hours ago, DesDMP said:

Hi all, curious about the noise level of the LuxPower Inverter - our DB board is in a passage that our bedrooms lead from - will we hear the inverter if our doors are closed? ie. is it very noisy?

Depends on which model you use for the application, hybrid model is dead silent, it uses a heatsink rather than fan cooling like the other unit 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2022/04/15 at 4:35 PM, gerhardt113 said:

Hi

I found this thread recently as I think I will be in a similiar position from OPs original post. 

I purchased a 5kVA Lux Inverter and 5.12kWh Shoto battery, I would like to know what setting allows the inverter to use the Grid first (Eskom) to power/charge the loads and battery and once loadshedding kicks in, the battery should take over? 

Trying to follow in the installation guide, but the settings are a bit unclear.

Thanks

hi did you manage to get the settings right. i have the same setup as you. Power Africa ?

• 2 months later...
On 2022/04/28 at 11:07 PM, Gelo said:

Hi Johan 

I have the Hybrid luxpower and had all lights and plugs connected including pool. Excluded geyser and stove. Even though geyser and stove are off the lux it will still push pv power to them when is use ( not battery power) only pv . Only downside is you lose those items totally when hit by loadshedding.

The hybrid Luxpower is only the LXP model right?  Will the SNA 5000 be able to send PV power to items that are not on the essential DB (geyser and stove)?

On 2022/08/02 at 3:55 PM, power71 said:

The hybrid Luxpower is only the LXP model right?  Will the SNA 5000 be able to send PV power to items that are not on the essential DB (geyser and stove)?

You need the LXP to split the essential and non essential loads. The SNA can't send power to loads that aren't connected to it

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, have been reading all your threads on the Luxpower Hybrid Inverter and PV set-up, as I am planning to also install the Luxpower SNA5000 inverter with a SHOTO 5.12KVA LI-ON battery and connect 8 x 545W Cannadian panels.

Your comments will be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2020/08/11 at 10:24 PM, francois said:

Welcome to the club 😁👍🏻

Hi, Thanks for sharing your setup. This thread was very helpful. Do you mind sharing pictures of your screen of your Luxpower setup? Mine for some reason is not picking up the solar panels. I only have a DC input for the solar panels and there are 4 X 545W Canadian Solar Panels installed with a 4.8kWh Dyness Battery. I get the battery to charge the inverter through the grid and the system works. However, the solar panels are not picking up at all. No voltages and currents are showing. I have checked my separate DC connection breakers and it shows power is coming in from the solar but nothing is showing on the inverter and there are no faults as well. It will be really helpful if someone can assist. 

On 2022/11/07 at 10:29 AM, Rudy D. Ferreira said:

Hi all,

I just like to find out what model is it that makes the loud noise from the fans?

I know it is a bit late, the SNA5000 Off grid has got 2 fans, that can be perceived as noisyy, we live in Riebeek Kasteel, temperatures hit 30 - 40 degrees easily, the inverter is installed in our scullery, you can hear the fans when in the scullery, they not obtrusive, mainly perceived as white noise, will see if I can put Db meter next to it. Also you can adjust the fan speeds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2023/03/01 at 8:58 PM, Kim27 said:

Hi all

I have purchased the luxpower 5kva inverter and I now hear that one cannot use an iron or hairdryer while running off the battery as it will melt components in the inverter 🙈 is this for real?

How many batterie?

What make and model of battery?

The inverter itself can work with up to 5000w of devices with no problem but this is battery dependent - we need to know your battery setup before confirming if it will work or not. Also the power rating of the hairdryer and iron

Edited by mzezman
edited 50000w to 5000w

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022/04/28 at 11:07 PM, Gelo said:

Hi Johan 

I have the Hybrid luxpower and had all lights and plugs connected including pool. Excluded geyser and stove. Even though geyser and stove are off the lux it will still push pv power to them when is use ( not battery power) only pv . Only downside is you lose those items totally when hit by loadshedding.

@Gelo Can you please share contacts of your installer. I have the 5KW LuxPower Off Grid SNA, can it include the geyser and stove using PV only?

3 hours ago, THULANE said:

@Gelo Can you please share contacts of your installer. I have the 5KW LuxPower Off Grid SNA, can it include the geyser and stove using PV only?

Hi Thulane - NO - This unit is 5KVA max - Your stove could get to 3KW and Geyser to 3KW so NO - In my case the Stove dies on loadshedding and we run gas and the geyser is on its own collector with a GeyserWize WiFi controller - so this may give pwer when the collector cannot manage but NOT from the Inverter.

On 2023/03/01 at 8:58 PM, Kim27 said:

Hi all

I have purchased the luxpower 5kva inverter and I now hear that one cannot use an iron or hairdryer while running off the battery as it will melt components in the inverter 🙈 is this for real?

It will be items specific. By accident my wife used the steam iron the other day and I just alerted to the fact we have LS. I then let her use it for a while on a 2.4kW Axpert. It worked well for the 15min she was busy. Also for the 1st time observed that the thermostat causes the 1800W not to be drawn continuesly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022/01/22 at 10:48 AM, RetiredDIY said:

Since this chain is relevant, I have decided to share my experience:

I have 6 x 410watt Canadians giving 2.4 Kw to a LuxPower 5Kw. Battery is a 3.6Kva LSB.

Running 18000btu aircon, 0.75Kw pool pump, 400 watt basic stuff and when fridge is OFF then at night we run at 200watt.

The geyser was a previous project and runs on a water heater sun collector.

You can read about my disaster on another forum, this is the result.

The LuxPower is amazing. Has blend capabilities second to none.

My first full month of use has changed my metered use from 1137 KWH to 730 KWH, a bit disappointing. ( a lot of cloudy days - maybe it will get better. )

If this is the rate of ROI then the total installation cost of 64K is going to take 55 months ( at current electrical rates )

It remains to be seen how long the LuxPower will last.

Is this worth it?

Considering that I work from home and make my money using computer systems - I think yes.

Final thought. This is NOT something to tackle without research and assistance. If you have doubts, get a reputable company ( a very scarce item ) and BEWARE scamsters. This space is absolutely soaked with chancers.

You will definetely do better when the sun shine. I had my account down from R3000.00 to R7.23 and another time to R15.00. Since installation 2.5 years ago my account has never been more than R100.00 I run pool pump, pressure pumos X 2, borehole pump and then still all the normal household appliances. Mine consist of 2 x KW Luxpower inverters, 2 x 12 Panel 430W JA Strings and 4X LiPe 100KW batteries. When the sunshine you make hay and when it rain you use it sparingly. Pieter

• 1 year later...

Hi just to add for any out there who want to confirm getting a Lux 3600 ACs system , I have a solis 4kw inverter with 8 420watt jako panels total 3.2kw , and recently added the lux ac battery inverter to it, all i can say is that its a perfect lux product and the automation with octopus agile is second to none, totally automated to obtain remotely from octopus the cheapest time slots and implement them to my system, giving peace of mind to have the cheapest electric at any given time, and the added benefit of altering it to my config if needed, also they are implementing a weather control system to take advantage of daily sun times to forego the charge automatic a real bonus. my electric bill was excess of £120 a month now on average £16 a huge saving. Automation is the key word here and to get it direct from octopus is fantastic