My Luxpower 5kw hybrid inverter install

Gelo

Finally had the luxpower 5k hybrid installed today coupled with the Dyness 2.4kwh lithiums x 2 for now(plan to add a 3rd). Andy @ Aspergo energy was on call to double check install and assist to remotely configured inverter. Big thanks to Andy  @Aspergoand the Seymour electrical guys.

Next on the list Panels!!

20200613_200553.jpg

1 hour ago, francois said:

How many panels are you planning for? 

Like the monitoring interface. Very neat.

Planning to do 8x 390watt Ja solar monos for now in a single string to 1 mppt (inverter has two) max DC on inverter is 550. will attach specs on inverter

Screenshot_20200511-181740_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gelo said:

Planning to do 8x 390watt Ja solar monos for now in a single string to 1 mppt (inverter has two) max DC on inverter is 550. will attach specs on inverter

That's a good size array. 3.1kw should give you around 15kwh in winter and around 20kwh in summer depending on orientation and angle.

Wow inverter has capacity for plenty PV.

The 2nd MPTT is also a big plus.

Very good setup 👍🏻

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Johny Boy said:

Hi All,

My first post.

Considering a similar setup, albeit with some panels. @Gelo how are you finding the inverter and the software interface, would you recommend this inverter over say a Growatt 5kw?

Thanks,

Hi Johny,not much experience with the growatt other than research when I was inverter hunting, but I will post some specs for you for comparison growatt specs below

Originally I had my eyes on the Kodak king 5kv for the bluetooth, then the Sofar 4.6kv but was scared off with all the float bugs and firmware updates that I have seen many members struggle with and having to purchase the required cables and the Raspie and software and so forth. And the freedom to go into and fiddle around with this machine and possibly Puck it or my batteries up coz of meddling. Hence I went for the lux I can fiddle to my fiddly hearts content and call Andy @Aspergo energy to log in to the inverter and fix it up for me 

Notable comparisons:

Growatt max pv=5500watts

Lux max pv=8000watts

Max pv voltage :

Growatt=450v

Luxpower =550v

Luxpower has fanless cooling(massive heatsink) shes a big and heavy beast. Super quiet for indoor installation for guys with dbs in living spaces.

Growatt is able to parallel duh

Luxpower comes in two 5kv versions one able to parallel and the other not. I have the parallel version, tho for now I doubt I will get another maybe at a later stage sure but more than enough for my needs at this point (fridge,freezer,3 TVs lights, microwave washing machine,pool u name it and it's on the inverter. Must say the EPS is limited to 3600watts without solar which is a downside but with solar 5000watts.

Lux blends all three sources prioritizing solar 1st then battery then eskom

As far as the user interface on the lux I absolutely love it both mobile and pc platforms are super easy to both monitor and do maintenance eg change settings on the go, I think theres a link above for the lux that has a dummy site for you to play around with to get a feel 

Currently set up as UPS and doing duty very well with loadshedding and a few trips in the area. Very happy with the lux and I think it was cheaper than the growatt not sure now.

Hope this helps

spf500-1116x1093.jpg

aspergo-brochure-hybrid-inverter-scaled-2-1024x1024.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Free electricity at last!!!! What a feeling 🥳🥳🥳🤯. Finally got my panels up today after the heavy wind conditions stopped install in its tracks last Friday, 8x 490 Ja solar monos with help from Stephen @infrasolar (Panel install and wiring,protection) and as always Andy @Aspergo energy on the line to assist with remote configuration and advice. Incredible feeling free loading off the sun.

Below is a picture of system system running with pool pump and house load.

Screenshot_20200811-135947_LuxPowerView.jpg

On 2020/08/11 at 2:21 PM, Gelo said:

Attached picture of luxpower blending PV and AC.

Screenshot_20200811-134647_LuxPowerView.jpg

Very nice! Just on this.

What setting is this where you exclude the batteries and only blend PV and utlity? I currently run my inverter (Growatt) in SBU mode. So it uses PV and adds Battery to supplement any shortfall, up until the low SOC/Voltage is reached on the batteries. If no PV available and batteries are at the low level SOC/voltage cut off. it will switch over to utility only (no blending).  This works for me as I make most use of my PV and battery setup and fall back on Eskom where needed(mostly winter). OffGrid inverter vs the Hybrid Luxpower.

With the Luxpower is there something similar? Where you could say alwats use PV and Batt, but when batteries are say < 50% start blending utility. OR if load is > 3kw then start blending utility, etc.

43 minutes ago, Tsa said:

Very nice! Just on this.

What setting is this where you exclude the batteries and only blend PV and utlity? I currently run my inverter (Growatt) in SBU mode. So it uses PV and adds Battery to supplement any shortfall, up until the low SOC/Voltage is reached on the batteries. If no PV available and batteries are at the low level SOC/voltage cut off. it will switch over to utility only (no blending).  This works for me as I make most use of my PV and battery setup and fall back on Eskom where needed(mostly winter). OffGrid inverter vs the Hybrid Luxpower.

With the Luxpower is there something similar? Where you could say alwats use PV and Batt, but when batteries are say < 50% start blending utility. OR if load is > 3kw then start blending utility, etc.

Hi Tsa

So under my settings menu>discharge settings sub menu, I have the option of a forced discharge together with the option to set force discharge and on grid discharge SOC. you have 3 force discharge time settings available where you set the times. I believe it is achievable, Still new to playing around with the pv connected will update again wen i get a chance to play with the setting.

Hi, benefits??

Besides the obvious not having to worry about loadshedding,daytime loads taken care of by panels eg lights,fridges,tvs,pool, all running off PV. And having access PV supply non essential loads also eg stove,geyser.

Soooooooo I'm literally waiting for my utility bill this month to see if it was all worthwhile. Fingers 🤞 

Check out power store and aspergo energy for pricing. Mine was purchased a few months ago and pricing has changed significantly since then(rand/dollar exchange)

15 hours ago, Gelo said:

Soooooooo I'm literally waiting for my utility bill this month to see if it was all worthwhile. Fingers 🤞

Heh, I’m not that patient. The streets’ electricity meters are in a box right outside my gate. I’ve been taking a pic of my electricity meter every morning to verify my daily consumption, so I KNOW the next bill is going to be a 1/3rd of what I used to pay.