Mecer Inverter will not restart

Hi There,

Yesterday I arrived home from work and my wife told me she accidentally bumped the two circuit breakers Main and Supply to the Mecer Inverter removing some plastic containers out of the cupboard where the DB is situated.

She immediatley switched them back on, but the Inverter remained non functional and no power to the house.

My batteries have been removed and sent back to the Agents Deltec for examination and desulphation checks as the batteries are still under warranty. So the inverter was set to "Utility source only" and the Solar Panels switched off.

My question to the Forum, because the Power was switched off accidentally, the Inverter set to Utility only, is  it possible the Inverter lost the program settings and was unable to restart due to no batteries and no Solar to back it up?

There is power Utility to the Inverter but no return. I have removed the Inverter to take it to the Mecer Agents, I'm hoping there is something simple I could do prior me doing so.

Mecer Inverter model SOL-I-AX-5M

Barcode 92931506104569

Thank in advance

Edited by Kawaman

Normally the Axpert/Mecer require power connected to the battery input to start up. If I remember correctly, you are actually supposed to switch off both AC IN as well as loads before powering on the inverter.

If you do not have batteries available at the moment, then you might be stuck. I do not know if the inverter will power on when PV is available but no batteries.

Maybe @Coulomb has any magic tricks up his sleeve for this case?

2 hours ago, Kawaman said:

My question to the Forum, because the Power was switched off accidentally, the Inverter set to Utility only, is  it possible the Inverter lost the program settings and was unable to restart due to no batteries and no Solar to back it up?

I don't believe it would have lost the settings. I didn't even know you could do what I think you did. I assume you removed the battery with the power on and possibly PV connected. I believe that you might have lost power anyway at sunset. Though maybe the utility charger can operate the electronics without the battery connected. If this is what you did, I would not recommend it.

To connect the loads to AC-in (I assume that you don't have a bypass switch, manual or contactor), I'd guess that you could use a DC power supply to "bootstrap" it. But you'd need at least about 36V from memory, and most hobby power supplies are 30V max. I have a dual 30V power supply, so I can start an Axpert with the two supplies in series.

But again, I don't recommend running the unit at all without a battery. Later models can run without a battery, but I think that they had to change the design to achieve that. I suspect that this model (same as mine I believe) could get unstable and do weird things, possibly bad things, without a battery. 

Hi Coulomb and GVC, 

Before I disconnected the battery bank I went into WatchPower and set "Charger Source priority" to Utility. "Output Source priority" Utility. 

Then Switched off the Battery Bank at the Fuse Box then the Solar Panels Circuit Breaker off. 

The Inverter stayed on removed the batteries and dropped them off at the Agents,, this was last week Tuesday, the accidental trip happened yesterday afternoon. 

Your thoughts? Possibly lost it's settings? 

This is indeed strange behavior. If I switch off the battery and PV supply my inverter switches off, even though the inverter switch is on. I reckon that your inverter stayed on by some or other weird circumstance and when your wife bumped the CB board it eventually switched it off. It will not switch on until you reconnect your batteries. Do you not have a "change-over" switch to either select Utility or inverter supply?

Hi GVC, 

No I don't, but I am having a change over switch box made to use a generator at night should load shedding exceed my battery life. (using 8 Deltec lead acid batteries) 

You maybe correct in what you are saying, all it needed was the Secondary power source. I will still take the Inverter to Mecer for a check over (piece of mind) 

My thought is, the Inverter probably thought it was load shedding and no back up power to continue and powered off. Although Utility was restored, the Inverter remained off due to no secondary power source. 

Just hope that is the case. 

Hi @GVC @Coulomb,

Just received my Inverter and they found nothing wrong with it at all.

They did however explain to me that, with me changing the Power sources all to Utility prior me disconnecting the batteries, the Inverter will stay on, PROVIDED I do not LOSE Utility power eg: Load Shedding or in my case, accidental utility power off, the Inverter had no alternative power to draw from and politely switched itself off. Only to return power when I re-connect the Battery bank..

Makes sense...Right?

20 hours ago, Kawaman said:

Makes sense...Right?

It makes sense that if it loses utility power, there is nothing to power the processor. So it doesn't really decide to politely switch off, it just loses power and has no choice about it. There may be a bit of grace to it, as it would sense extreme low battery voltage and go to shutdown mode.

What I don't understand is how the processor is getting power without the battery at all. Do you have utility charging turned on perhaps?

Ah, maybe what happens is that if you turn off utility charging, it doesn't really turn off the charging hardware, it just sets the net charge limit to zero amps. With the electronics drawing nearly an amp from the battery, the utility charger (the inverter run in reverse) works to keep the net charge into the battery at zero, i.e. it has to supply that near one amp to the electronics, so that the net current is zero. And it has to do a delicate balancing act; even a few percent error in the charge current will cause the "battery" voltage to ramp up or down quickly without an actual battery there to stabilise it. I get dizzy just thinking about that balancing act.

2 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Do you have utility charging turned on perhaps?

HI Coulomb, 

Yes I did, all to Utility. 

Funny enough, when I replaced the old batteries with the ones I have now, I did the same setup on the Inverter so the wife could carry on with her house work, only then no accidental trip of the Main switch or load shedding.