48V Inverter

Paulbloggs

So the Victron can push back into the grid to effectively use more of the available solar power during the day. If this is important to you, you would need to look at other similar inverters. The cheaper options are incapable of doing this, as far as I understand. So you would only be able to utilise your solar on the batteries or backup circuit.

Also, the Victron has the ability to transfer much more than the normal inverters. Not sure if this is important to you, but if you are used to not being limited to your power consumption to 20Amps while Eskom is on, not sure if anything but the Victron will do.

If you already have a GX device and a solar charger, not really sure if you will save a lot of money going for something other than the MP II 3kVA.

My current load is quite light - PCs, Internet, TV, decoders.

The Victron never pushed back into the grid. It connected to the mains as a charger and only switched over when the batteries were below 90%. Solar power came from and Outback Flexmax during the day.

The Multiplus II 3000 is cheaper than you old unit and should be an very easy replacement. 
The only thing that will be cheaper is to go with an off-grid Axpert inverter, but I would prefer the Multiplus II.

The big difference you will see is that the Axpert will be able to supply power up to it's max load, but if you pull more than the max it will switch the full load to utilities (I think that is why most buy the bigger 5k Axperts).
With the Multiplus only the extra over the max load of the inverter will be used from the utility.

The Victron never pushed back into the grid.

Sorry, I think I used the wrong terminology - The Victron would have tried to zero your draw from Eskom (not push back into the grid), even on the non-critical load circuit through push back on AC 1 In (Or AC Out 2).

Edited by jykenmynie
Added quote

18 minutes ago, Paulbloggs said:

Should I buy a Victron Multiplus 48/3000/35-50 or a Multiplus-II 48/3000/35-32? to replace my Multiplus 48/3000/35 which is obsolete and cannot be repaired.

The multiplus-II should do everything the "standard multiplus" will do, in terms of output rating etc. while it (MP-II) has the added benefit of being NRS certified and looking at prices the MP-II is generally actually cheaper than the original. The standard 48/3000/35-50 compared to the MP-II 48/3000/35-32 gives you the benefit of a bigger  transfer switch but based on what it seems you power with it, it should not be a benefit/requirement.

My vote would go towards the MP-II.

Edited by introverter
typo

Seems a bit strange that it is considered obsolete. I guess it is possible that a processor chip or something went (as opposed to just a capacitor etc.) and that the particular part is now next to impossible to find (seeing that the inverter is 9 odd years old).... or find quickly....or at a price that is almost the same as a new inverter..?

We tend to abuse @plonkster for anything victron related (well not just victron). Maybe PM him with specific details of the inverter and the official diagnosis, maybe he can refer you to someone for a second opion... 

6 hours ago, Paulbloggs said:

Should I buy a Victron Multiplus 48/3000/35-50 or a Multiplus-II 48/3000/35-32? to replace my Multiplus 48/3000/35 which is obsolete and cannot be repaired.

The the Multiplus-II. It has much lower self-consumption.

I'm sure the old one could be repaired by a shop. There was a guy here (Wessel, I forgot his nick) who actually repaired one and then found that he needed a new MCU (and that is proprietary and you can't get one). So as long as the MCU (it's a PIC 18F chip) is fine, you can usually repair it if you are sufficiently skilled.

Also, the MP-II is probably cheaper than the old-style Multi.

I used to run an electronic workshop before I lost my job so, yes, I think it can be repaired. And I am sure it is the power FETS that are gone. But a circuit diagram would be really handy. If anyone has?

Right now I have 2x Victron MPPT chargers and the multiplus which are stuffed - so I am not a big fan of Victron right now. 

But maybe I am just unlucky.

That is why I am asking about other makes? Axpert seem common and cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Paulbloggs said:

And I am sure it is the power FETS that are gone

Victron calls it the power pack. I believe it is standard H-bridge configuration. As I recall they also use fairly common MOSFETs, so if you are sure about this, you could just replace the FETs? I think theres 24 or so of them (6 per leg), but I may be wrong. Been a while since I've been in there.

But maybe I am just unlucky.

Look, obviously there is the matter of allegiances and where my paycheck comes from... but I hear more stories of people being truly amazed at how well these things hold up vs the other side. But if we didn't have the occasional failure there would be no repair dept... so obviously that does happen. The one repair shop I used to visit occasionally always had lightning-damaged units standing around and not much else. So yeah, I'd say you were unlucky.

That is why I am asking about other makes? Axpert seem common and cheaper. 

If you're upset about this unit failing after > 5 years... you do not want an Axpert. They cost less, but their failure numbers are about on par with the lower cost.

Edited by plonkster

• 3 weeks later...