Solution required for load shedding, Gurus please help ...

Just now, plonkster said:

Hahaha yes. But you can make a compromise. If you can trim the power requirements a bit, then for the same price as that trolley you can have this. Tht That ticks almost all the boxes, except it is a tad small. You could probably fit the essentials (some lights, an internet router, a television) into that 400W easily, but it is only going to last an hour if you do that. You could probably get a really long way with just 200W (again, if we're really talking ONLY essentials), but it still doesn't quite handle a 4-hour slot.

Load shedding is alot like the droughts... makes (some people) think a bit how you take for granted where the stuff comes from when you open the tap/throw the switch. So better load management should be first port of call. 

The Flexo definitely ticks the "charge it, put it in the cupboard till load shedding comes around again and you should have a working battery" box. If only used for load shedding should also technically get you 2+ years of use (claims >500 cycles), so probably doing better than (most) lead acids.

Western Cape type load shedding with mutiple sessions in a day depending on stage can be a pain  - LiPO battery charge rate means 6 hours recharge. Used one last night (was last used and recharged post stage 6 load shedding... mid march?.... switched it on had 4 of 5 "state of charge" lights on. powered TV, router, AV Amp for 2 hours... 2nd last state of charge light was flashing). Did not time it but think was about 5 hour recharge this morning. So bit bigger capacity of the Flexo would be very nice (the 4x4/camping guys also realised that). 

18 minutes ago, plonkster said:

I'd say get the 24V trolley (or make your own) and stick two 100Ah OmniSolar batteries on it. That's going to set you back around 8k for the batteries and another 8k or so for the trolley/inverter+accessories. 16k-20k. Not a cheap game this...

In the R15K ball park for <200W type loads (TV, light... i.e. keep the kids entertained) the 12V LifFePO4 + 800/1200kVA Multi combo beats the 24V lead acid options for me (just pass word to Victron to come up with a value 12V multiplus option that has a MP-II GX type screen to set user defined voltages without needing extra cables etc.... easy right 😉).

On 2020/07/11 at 3:24 PM, plonkster said:

Hahaha yes. But you can make a compromise. If you can trim the power requirements a bit, then for the same price as that trolley you can have this. Tht That ticks almost all the boxes, except it is a tad small. You could probably fit the essentials (some lights, an internet router, a television) into that 400W easily, but it is only going to last an hour if you do that. You could probably get a really long way with just 200W (again, if we're really talking ONLY essentials), but it still doesn't quite handle a 4-hour slot.

You could also look at BlueNova's drop-in replacements and stick those in your Axpert/Mecer trolley, but then you might as well use a 24V Pylontech battery (same price)... cause now we're talking >20k on the battery alone. Once you get to this point, you should start wondering if it is a good idea to spend that much money on a 24V battery and if you shouldn't rather shoot for 48V... and once you get to this point, you are way further down the rabbit hole than you planned on being 🙂

I'd say get the 24V trolley (or make your own) and stick two 100Ah OmniSolar batteries on it. That's going to set you back around 8k for the batteries and another 8k or so for the trolley/inverter+accessories. 16k-20k. Not a cheap game this...

Again thanks so much Plonkster, do you by any chance know where I would be able to source each part (trolley, inverter and batteries) you mention? I don't mind spending a bit extra as reading the above on the other batteries does not breed confidence :(

7 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

Again thanks so much Plonkster, do you by any chance know where I would be able to source each part (trolley, inverter and batteries) you mention? I don't mind spending a bit extra as reading the above on the other batteries does not breed confidence :(

Personally I would much rather sell you a decent Victron system, or direct you to someone who can help with that. I am unfortunately not clued up about where to buy these other brands, I sometimes see those trolleys at Builders Warehouse, and I know they come without batteries.

Edited by plonkster
5 minutes ago, plonkster said:

Personally I would much rather sell you a decent Victron system, or direct you to someone who can help with that. I am unfortunately not clued up about where to buy these other brands, I sometimes see those trolleys at Builders Warehouse, and I know they come without batteries.

Thank you! What type of cost am I looking at for a Victron solution and installation?

Edited by Darrenf
On 2020/07/11 at 6:24 AM, Jaco de Jongh said:

And replace the batteries a few times before that 5 years are over. I have stopped supplying replacement batteries to clients with those trolleys because they think its my fault that the batteries only last a year before they need to replace them. 

Hi there @Jaco de Jongh, Plonkster advised you did a Victron type setup for someone in Bloem, Could you tell me what something like that would cost?

Edited by Darrenf
7 hours ago, Darrenf said:

Could you tell me what something like that would cost?

O boy, I am struggling to get to everybody, I have spend most of the weekend on the phone gaining info I need for numerous quotes, and then the loadshedding started, could not get quotes out last night, and today as I walked into the AirBNB in JHB the power went off for another 5 hours, I am only starting with quotations now and hope to have a price ready for you in the next 2 days. Sorry!!

Hi Guys,

Ive been reading through this post as I too am a total noob, with zero knowledge or experience and looking for a similar solution to Darren F.

Similar to Darren, the more i try and read up about the subject, the more conufsing it seems to become.

I am skeptical on the trolley units you can buy at Builders, Makro etc and have been trying to investigate a higher end solution based 

on the same principal, but the variance in products and options available is a tad overwhelming to say the least.

Is Sinetech a reputable company ? I stumbled across their page and they seem to have quite a few options available 

with regards to battery backup solutions e.g. https://sinetechstore.co.za/shop/solar-kits/backup-power-kits/3kw-kit-long-backup-power-system-tbb-energier-essential-inverter/

I was looking at the 24V system with Gel Batteries 

I am busy getting all the power requirements together  but basically the requirements are as follows :

1 X Home PC,  Monitor & Printer

2 x Routers

2 x 40" LED TV''s

2 x DSTV Decoders

1 x Sound Bar

2 x Android TV Boxes

20 Metres LED Light Strips

16 Channel CCTV System

Thanks in advance everyone. 

Silver Bullet

On 2020/07/13 at 9:21 PM, Jaco de Jongh said:

O boy, I am struggling to get to everybody, I have spend most of the weekend on the phone gaining info I need for numerous quotes, and then the loadshedding started, could not get quotes out last night, and today as I walked into the AirBNB in JHB the power went off for another 5 hours, I am only starting with quotations now and hope to have a price ready for you in the next 2 days. Sorry!!

Hey Jaco, no worries or rush, have an old UPS running the wifi for now so all good till you get a gap :)