Instinct

Axpert MKS 5kv Inverter

Could somebody please explain most common reasons for the above inverter to fail completely. Been working perfectly for six months. Heard slight noise like breaker switch and inverter was completely dead. Tried reset but no luck. Sent back to supplier. Would like to know what to do to prevent new one doing same.

1 hour ago, Instinct said:

Could somebody please explain most common reasons for the above inverter to fail completely. 

The most common complete failure mode is a bunch of MOSFETs blowing up, often with a pair of IGBTs as well. If the inverter powers up at all, you'll see fault code 09 (bus soft start failure). The bus won't charge because of shoot-through by the IGBTs. Often, the capacitors protecting the MOSFETs (rated for 2000 h of use at 105°C) dry out, allowing higher and higher voltage spikes across the MOSFETs, which eventually break down. The resultant surge may be what takes out the IGBTs. Usually several gate drive components fail as well (resistors, diodes, zener diodes, transistors).

This is why I preemptively replaced my MOSFETs with higher voltage parts, and the capacitors with longer life parts. It's a pain to do unless you're set up for it, but it eliminates the most common cause of failure. Other than that, keeping the unit cool (out of direct sunlight for example) is about all you can do.

1 hour ago, Coulomb said:

This is why I preemptively replaced my MOSFETs with higher voltage parts, and the capacitors with longer life parts. It's a pain to do unless you're set up for it, but it eliminates the most common cause of failure. Other than that, keeping the unit cool (out of direct sunlight for example) is about all you can do.

The 5000 Watt Mecer produced March 2018 was fitted with CSD19505KCS MOSFETs 80 volt . The capacitors is 2 Jamicon 80 volt 3300 uf and 2 Jainghai CD 294.  80 volt 2200 uf . The capacitors is now 22 mm diameter not 18 mm . Would you still recommend United chemi - con EKZN 800 ELL 182 mm 405  1800 uf 10 000 hrs .Thanks for always sharing your knowledge with us .

2 hours ago, Coulomb said:

The most common complete failure mode is a bunch of MOSFETs blowing up, often with a pair of IGBTs as well. If the inverter powers up at all, you'll see fault code 09 (bus soft start failure). The bus won't charge because of shoot-through by the IGBTs. Often, the capacitors protecting the MOSFETs (rated for 2000 h of use at 105°C) dry out, allowing higher and higher voltage spikes across the MOSFETs, which eventually break down. The resultant surge may be what takes out the IGBTs. Usually several gate drive components fail as well (resistors, diodes, zener diodes, transistors).

Thank you so much Coulomb for giving good and expert advice.Wont be able to replace components as unit still under warranty.Will try and keep unit as cool as possible.

8 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

The 5000 Watt Mecer produced March 2018 was fitted with CSD19505KCS MOSFETs 80 volt .

Those are probably not too bad if you have a lowish battery voltage, e.g. Pylontechs with sane battery voltage settings. But if you need to go near 60 V battery at times, then 80 V is only 7% better than the original 75 V, and 64 V (the max) is 10% higher than 58.4 V (the old max battery voltage).

8 hours ago, Chris Louw said:

The capacitors is 2 Jamicon 80 volt 3300 uf and 2 Jainghai CD 294.  80 volt 2200 uf . The capacitors is now 22 mm diameter not 18 mm . Would you still recommend United chemi - con EKZN 800 ELL 182 mm 405  1800 uf 10 000 hrs .Thanks for always sharing your knowledge with us .

Fascinating that they still use two different brands, when they are all electrically in parallel. It really depends on the lifetime rating of the capacitors. I doubt that they are using 10,000 h parts; I don't have time to check just now.

No the hour rating is still 2000 hrs on the Jamicon and I can't get specs on the Jainghai . So I try to get hold of United chemical - con 10000hrs . Thanks