JosephineFlexton

Simple UPS for mostly fridge, lead acid or lithium?

The OP (now I know what that means..) who caused all the trouble..

I've been had before believing that there is a serious soul asking a serious question but I have my doubts. JosephineFlexton appears to have joined this forum on Thursday morning, posted her(?) question and then disappeared leaving the die-hard regular contributors to tear each other apart..

6 hours ago, introverter said:

food poisoning

September 2003. We went on honeymoon in the beautiful town of Knysna, a planned 10-day break. Day 1, we want to get on the ferry and take a drive on the lagoon, but we have an hour to kill... let's grab a quick burger at the Spur...

So after that the "or worse" part of the marriage manifested fairly quickly, and only 5 days later did we try another restaurant (De oude Fabriek, I don't think it exists anymore).

For over a decade we refused to eat at the Spur. At least until we had kids and they god old enough that we got overruled.

On 2020/08/02 at 7:51 PM, plonkster said:

September 2003. We went on honeymoon in the beautiful town of Knysna, .. let's grab a quick burger at the Spur...

If a marriage survives that start it should be good for the rest… (even though with proper food poisoning one feels at times that the “till death do us part” part would not be unwelcome). 🙂

Quite some time prior to 2003 I had the good fortune to have as my lagoon trip captain, and actually ticket booth attendant (if sitting at a table under an umbrella counts us a booth), .. William Smith…. I assume you may not be familiar with the man…for one, even if “the learning channel” was broadcast in the neighbouring countries…and even though you likely would have had access to a TV (cobbled together with some sticks, discarded telephone parts and powered from a tsamma with a strategically placed 5 cent coin  and mossie (coin, not the bird) … I doubt your math and/or science ability would have necessitated being captivated by his “show”(?). Definitely not a dig at @plonkster ..actual admiration (with a generous dollop of envy) for those who seem to have a more natural ease when dabbling in the realms of numbers and the physical sciences..so, on that note I remember being struck that in person Mr Smith came across as, shall we say not exactly unintelligent, even more so than his TV persona would hint at, I also remember being somewhat gob smacked when he mentioned that his father was offered the opportunity to purchase a very big chunk of the “Western Head” for the princely sum of 100 pound (as reward for his role in re"discovering" the coelacanth)….and that his father learned Portuguese simply from reading on the train trip to LM (Maputo)…

Smith_William.jpg.6f200db3f00d65ec61bba0381bf213e7.jpg

@JosephineFlexton between all the noise, in terms of the original question/s of the thread. Yes, a 1000W or so inverter should be able to cope with a fridge/freezer (I run two fridge/freezers on a victron multiplus 1000W inverter/charger). I would personally choose a lithium battery  if budget allows -  not influenced by the compressor load (a lead acid could potentially even be better suited for that short very high current draw) but lithium tends to give a smaller/lighter footprint and the recharge characteristics are to my mind better suited for load shedding as we know it at times (especially for potential multiple load shedding interruptions in a single day).