6 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

Not to my knowledge, the GPRS logger was literally plug and play with no setup required with 2 years free data.  The downfall is that one cannot connect to it locally for firmware upgrade.  However I remember now that in the Solarman pro account desktop version has a section where one can select and upload software.  @Achmat in theory you could do it yourself with the files Johann provided? 

Keith once mentioned on the Sunsynk website that they are working on using one of the LAN ports to be able to plug into home network directly so in theory no need for loggers etc, however I have seen no progress on that development.

Yeah, I have tried the website way but there is no way of selecting the firmware. The whole interface is incomplete. They are busy working on a realtime monitoring platform and local connection, so that should also be deployed shortly.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Will check if I can get it sorted. Installed a change over switch to put my non essentials back to eskom for the time being until I can get answers.

from my experience it does not restart with the micro inverter. 

Yes it does but I'm ok with the BMS managing the individual batteries in the bank.  With CAN, the BMS now also limits charge and discharge rates based on SOC instead of the inverter controlling c

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

BTW how were you able to get hold of the files?

I asked nicely :)

The web portal is unfinished, so there's no way of uploading the firmware to it to push to the inverter. If you want the new firmware installed I can request it directly to the team. Your SN is displayed in the pic. So let me know.

1 minute ago, Johann1982 said:

I asked nicely :)

The web portal is unfinished, so there's no way of uploading the firmware to it to push to the inverter. If you want the new firmware installed I can request it directly to the team. Your SN is displayed in the pic. So let me know.

Thanks Johann. No need to upgrade at point unless there are new features on latest version? They upgraded me the other day to a newer version in any case. I am not using a smart load with reset issues that needs resolving so at this point all is well. 

The pylontech bms can send through a force charge request to the sunsynk inverter. 

My inverter is set to never charge from grid and minimum SOC is set to 10%.

As the battery uses some power while idling at 10%, the SOC dropped to 9%. At this stage the BMS sent a force charge request to the inverter and even though its set to never charge from the grid, the inverter started to charge the battery from the grid until the SOC was 15% and then the BMS stopped the force charge request.20200831_120841.thumb.jpg.0eda7c87fdcd624937bfad23e5974ee1.jpg

On the goodwe if the min charge is 80% it stops discharging at 79%, always one % lower. It probably checks for < x% to stop.

Overnight it will then recharge every 6 hrs or so to keep at 79%..

The point is I don't think it's the BMS, is it not the inverter itself that requests charge?

Edited by FixAMess
1 hour ago, Heinds said:

I just wish that the inverters would register a fault when it loses AC power. According to the manual you are supposed to get an F35 alarm. Seems like a bug since these alarms are not being registered...

Bump this post on their support page. 

I've requested an update on this issue on there and contacted their local support rep Bashir and no response yet. 

https://www.sunsynk.org/forum/techical-support/is-there-any-notification-when-grid-power-goes-off-and-inverter-provides-power-from-batteries

Edited by Achmat

Hi All, have any of you noticed that the consumption power reported by the inverter on the Solarman app does not seem to be correct?  I have re-pasted my post from the Sunsynk forum below.

image.thumb.png.810490ef6de398a9b4a47a9ceae0b210.png

Please check my logic. Solar produced 13,8kwh + Battery Discharged 0,00kwh - Solar sold 9,1 kwh + Grid purchased 6,5kwh - battery charged 0,00kwh = 11,2 kwh (Theoretical kwh used by load circuit)

Why does Solarman report consumption as 29,4kwh? (refer screenshot below). Based on past experience my load circuit only use between 11 - 15 kwh in a 24 hour period. How is this discrepancy possible? (past experience is from an old Voltronic inverter which used to run same backup circuit. The 11 - 15kwh used in 24 hour period were corroborated by an effergy energy clamp on same load wire with 2 years data to back it up)

After engaging with Solarman on the question and a lot of testing later their feedback was that there is nothing wrong with their algorithm and this has to do with how the inverter reports the data. The suggestion was to take it up with Sunsynk. So here we are.

Why does the Solarman app show battery discharge of 13kwh.

Have you tried the Solarman Smart app? 

But I do feel that it's the way the inverter is sending out data to Solarman and its not configured correctly. 

Sunsynk should just create their own monitoring platform and not rely on a third party solution. 

Edited by Achmat
38 minutes ago, Bloubul7 said:

How would you guys rate the Sunsynk 8kw unit?  I'm contemplating swapping out my Axpert King for the Synsynk 8kw unit

Very happy with my choice. Support could be better. Can't comment on other brands as I've not used them. 

It's a true hybrid and does everything it says it does. I don't think anything can compete in its price range. Practically plug and play with nothing extra needed 

I went for the 8kw inverter as I wanted my whole house on the inverter. 

I compare my consumption vs pv produced that is reported by the inverter to what usage my elec meter shows for the month.

If you assume that battery power used/consumed takes the same amount of pv to recharge then you can ignore the battery usage as well.

I find the results to be within 3% of each other...

7 hours ago, Achmat said:

Why does the Solarman app show battery discharge of 13kwh.

Have you tried the Solarman Smart app? 

But I do feel that it's the way the inverter is sending out data to Solarman and its not configured correctly. 

Sunsynk should just create their own monitoring platform and not rely on a third party solution. 

Yes I have the same question on why the app (SolarMAN Pro) shows battery discharged.  I did not even use the battery that day.

I am running the Solarman Smart app for comparison as well. Consumption power also Indicated the 29,4 kWh which is definitely wrong. 

I agree Sunsynk should develop their own monitoring and control portal.  Apparently it is in development as we speak. There is definitely some anomaly with the way the inverter reports information to SolarMAN. All the information on the local inverter screen makes sense and is accurate. 

BTW I found a setting on the SolarMAN app “Calculation of Electrical Energy”. Default settings for Production, Consumption, Grid Feed in  power etc , is on “based on device data”. I changed the consumption field to “based on calculation”. Two days running like this and my consumption data reported seems to be in line with expectations and my historic usage readings. Perhaps that is the fix for now. 

17 minutes ago, Halcyon said:

Yes I have the same question on why the app (SolarMAN Pro) shows battery discharged.  I did not even use the battery that day.

I am running the Solarman Smart app for comparison as well. Consumption power also Indicated the 29,4 kWh which is definitely wrong. 

I agree Sunsynk should develop their own monitoring and control portal.  Apparently it is in development as we speak. There is definitely some anomaly with the way the inverter reports information to SolarMAN. All the information on the local inverter screen makes sense and is accurate. 

BTW I found a setting on the SolarMAN app “Calculation of Electrical Energy”. Default settings for Production, Consumption, Grid Feed in  power etc , is on “based on device data”. I changed the consumption field to “based on calculation”. Two days running like this and my consumption data reported seems to be in line with expectations and my historic usage readings. Perhaps that is the fix for now. 

This is mine from the Solarman Smart app on the screenshot below. 

My data from the inverter touchscreen. 

Battery Discharge = 10.8kwh

Battery Charge = 7.0kwh

Solar production = 23.5kwh

Grid buy = 24.5

Solarman is not reporting the battery charge and discharge values. It is however recording the correct values in the detailed reports. 

Screenshot_20200904-205835_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-210511_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-210542_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

On 2020/09/04 at 9:07 PM, Achmat said:

This is mine from the Solarman Smart app on the screenshot below. 

My data from the inverter touchscreen. 

Battery Discharge = 10.8kwh

Battery Charge = 7.0kwh

Solar production = 23.5kwh

Grid buy = 24.5

Solarman is not reporting the battery charge and discharge values. It is however recording the correct values in the detailed reports. 

Screenshot_20200904-205835_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-210511_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

Screenshot_20200904-210542_SOLARMAN Smart.jpg

Achmat, under "Plant Settings"-"Calculation of electric energy" which settings or options did you select? Based on device or based on calculation?

27 minutes ago, Heinds said:

Achmat, under "Plant Settings"-"Calculation of electric energy" which settings or options did you select? Based on device or based on calculation?

The screenshots are based on device. 

I chafed it over the weekend to calculation method. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I am considering the Deye as it seems like great value.

A friend of mine installed a Goodwe which is a lot more expensive. 

With the 4.6kW Goodwe, the inverter bypasses all load to grid supply (Eskom) if the load exceeds inverter capacity.

Ie, if the load reaches 6kW, the inverter doesn't trip but simply bypasses itself and the load is fed 100% from the grid.

Does the Deye do the same or does it shut down (trip) if the load exceeds the inverter capacity?

Thank you

32 minutes ago, CornePrinsloo said:

Hi All

I am considering the Deye as it seems like great value.

A friend of mine installed a Goodwe which is a lot more expensive. 

With the 4.6kW Goodwe, the inverter bypasses all load to grid supply (Eskom) if the load exceeds inverter capacity.

Ie, if the load reaches 6kW, the inverter doesn't trip but simply bypasses itself and the load is fed 100% from the grid.

Does the Deye do the same or does it shut down (trip) if the load exceeds the inverter capacity?

Thank you

Not exactly sure about the Deye but the sunsynk doesn’t seem to shutdown. Ideally you want your load output to be less than the rated output but the inverter can also supply power to the grid side for the rest of your house without back feeding into the grid itself.  

I have the 5kw Sunsynk and at times my household load is more than the 5.5 kw and I don’t notice any difference. It is does bypass, it’s seem less 

The Goodwe has a rated 40A pass through current, the sunsync 37A.

There's no on-off (switching from one to the other), the hybrid inverters will supply on both sides to their rated capacity. I.e, the goodwe will push 4.6kW on the essential load, from pv and/or/mixture, grid, and max 40Ax230V (=W) through the bypass AT THE SAME TIME...When the draw (A) on either of those is exceeded for a period , the inverter will trip, usually on start-up of a motor, in thd household a hairdryer..I have seen  8kW running through my goodwe inverter ,spread across the essential load and pass through side including grid and PV input..

Edited by FixAMess

The Goodwe has a rated 40A pass through current, the sunsync 37A.

There's no on-off (switching from one to the other), the hybrid inverters will supply on both sides to their rated capacity. I.e, the goodwe will push 4.6kW on the essential load, from pv and/or/mixture, grid, and 40Ax330V (=W) through the bypass AT THE SAME TIME...When the draw (A) on either of those is exceeded for a period , the inverter will trip, usually on start-up of a motor, hairdryer..

The "5kW"  in "5kW Deye" refers to the PV,battery (DC) to AC current conversion capacity, not the total power that can be "carried" by the inverter which on the hybrids includes grid "bypass" power, but the point is that it's at the same time, not pv or grid, one-off type thing.

I believe the sunsync/Deye will work.in the same way...

I don't know what the price difference is between the deye and sunsynk, but there's massive local , forum support on the sunsync and it has a better visual input than the Deye ( as per forum.posts). Take the plunge and go Sunsynk...

Edited by FixAMess
Fixing