Registering of PV Modules in Cape Town

Hi There Guys,

I installed a Inverter, 5kva with a Pylontech Lithium-ion battery, for Load Shedding. The client that I installed this for is now asking for me to install PV Modules.

I got 4x 365W Canadian PV Modules from Rubicon in Cape Town, as this is what is required to run with the current Inverter, Battery etc.

Laying the structure rails and mounting the panels is not a major task, However my Main issue is requiring the Registration of the PV installation and then of course the singing off of the installation.

Is there PLEASE anyone in the Cape Town area that is able to assist me with this? Obviously I am willing pay for this.

I am hoping to do the Solar Green Installation course, but at the moment I just cannot afford it (R1400K +) I have been out of work since March, beginning of Lock Down.

I would really appreciate any help I can get. 

Hi bro, not sure which inverter you are using but I do not think you need to register the PV modules. I did my house solar installation myself using Growatt inverters and just wired the PV modules to the inverter through an isolator. once the isolators were switched ON, the inverters automatically picked up the PV models. If I were you, I would invest in a trade test and wireman's license instead of the solar green installation courses because you need to be able to do CoC after the installation. 

Hi Hoohloc, I am a qualified 3 phase electrician, with a 3 phase installation Wireman's licence however this is not an issue for me to sign off the electrical side of the installation. 

It is required in Cape Town that all PV solar panels MUST be registered, if not, the City Of Cape Town will pick up the installation via satellite and there is a Hefty fine of R6800.00 and they will cut off the cables from the panels, I know this, as it happened to someone I know who did not register the installation. 

My main issue is (1) The completion of the registration forms (Very complicated). (2) You must be a registered solar installer and be in position of "A Green Card" (Hence my reason for wanting to do the course) and then sign off the PV side of the installation.

So Essentially I require someone in Cape Town to do this for me, obviously there will be a cost involved which I am willing to pay.

I hope this now makes better sense...?

Is your set up off grid or grid tied

i commissioned my grid tied system a few weeks ago, I did the installation myself, on the forms for CoCT I put my name as the installer ( no credentials ), with a professional engineer sign and a CoC.

With an off grid, it is even  easier

Hi Tariq,

My set up is Grid Tied.

So Yes, as I have mentioned I can sign off the electrical side of the installation.

However I still require a Professional Engineer ( As you have mentioned) to sign off the PV side for me, in order to get it registered.

Are you in Cape Town? Who did you use  to sign your COC? Perhaps I can use them as well...???

Hi David,

Have you sent in your application to CoCT for the “ approval to install letter”, after that you need a sign off and commissioning report by the professional engineer, then the CoC, I used a three phase electrician ( he had “some” experience with the pv side ), after that I submitted the final schematic, professional engineers sign off, CoC, and supplentary contract and then ONCE I received the letter of approval to commission, then only did I switch on the system permanently 

Were you inquiring about the engineer or the electrician for the CoC

Yes, I am in Cape Town 

Edited by Tariq

Hi Tariq'

Yes I am inquiring about the Engineer and perhaps, if possible I could use your Electrician to lead me in the right direction? with regards to going through the entire process, From "Approval to install letter", signing off and commissioning report, and COC. 

6 hours ago, David27 said:

Hi Hoohloc, I am a qualified 3 phase electrician, with a 3 phase installation Wireman's licence however this is not an issue for me to sign off the electrical side of the installation. 

It is required in Cape Town that all PV solar panels MUST be registered, if not, the City Of Cape Town will pick up the installation via satellite and there is a Hefty fine of R6800.00 and they will cut off the cables from the panels, I know this, as it happened to someone I know who did not register the installation. 

My main issue is (1) The completion of the registration forms (Very complicated). (2) You must be a registered solar installer and be in position of "A Green Card" (Hence my reason for wanting to do the course) and then sign off the PV side of the installation.

So Essentially I require someone in Cape Town to do this for me, obviously there will be a cost involved which I am willing to pay.

I hope this now makes better sense...?

This is new to me, I hope Johannesburg doesn't have the same procedure. I did my own installation and got an electrician to do a CoC for me. Didn't register or get sign off from an Engineer. 

2 hours ago, Tariq said:

Hi David, 

You can pm me directly, I will gladly assist you with paperwork, electrician, etc, I did not know about @Rautenk, as I would rather have used an active forum member than the guy I dealt with

Tariq 

Hi Tariq, Please send me your contact number, you can also WhatsApp me on 079 877 1878. 

Hi @Tariq

I'm also in the process getting a quote for a grid-tied solar installation in Cape Town.

Is my understanding of the process correct:

1. Get approval to install from CoCT
  2. Install and commission
  3. Get Engineering signoff and CoC, register with CoCT

I won't be doing the install myself (currently chatting with Jaco), but just want to understand the steps that need to be followed and the boxes that need to be ticked.

15 minutes ago, Blacklung said:

Does one have to register with CoCT even if the supply is direct from Eskom. ?

I am not sure about the the direct supply from Eskom?  All other areas that fall under the City of Cape Town Utility must comply to the registration, as far as I understand it.

Try not to hijack threads.  Use a new thread for new unrelated questions.

365w panels probably circa 45v each?  @ 8a?

In series will likely be close to 45v x 4 = 180v @ 8a.  / and 52v @ open load.  or 208v max.
(Values are my educated guesstimate, read your panel specs for actual values)

Whats the voltage rating for the MCB?

Personally I would go for something with a higher amp rating, as you'll probably want to add more panels in future.

eg a cursory google shows 600v / 63A is around R450 or so.  - https://www.enway.co.za/beny-pv-mcb

Voltex or similar will probably be cheaper.

Before you do anything, confirm the model of the inverter, so we can check max input voltage.

You may want to put the panels in a 2S 2P setup instead.  (2 in series x 2 in parallel).  Which would be 90v @ 16A  (again depending on your actual panel specs).

You want to make sure that the open load for the panels doesn't exceed your MPPT inverters input.

My suggestion - before you do anything, give us more details on the equipment.

Edited by shanghailoz
27 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

Try not to hijack threads.  Use a new thread for new unrelated questions.

365w panels probably circa 45v each?  @ 8a?

In series will likely be close to 45v x 4 = 180v @ 8a.  / and 52v @ open load.  or 208v max.
(Values are my educated guesstimate, read your panel specs for actual values)

Whats the voltage rating for the MCB?

Personally I would go for something with a higher amp rating, as you'll probably want to add more panels in future.

eg a cursory google shows 600v / 63A is around R450 or so.  - https://www.enway.co.za/beny-pv-mcb

Voltex or similar will probably be cheaper.

Before you do anything, confirm the model of the inverter, so we can check max input voltage.

You may want to put the panels in a 2S 2P setup instead.  (2 in series x 2 in parallel).  Which would be 90v @ 16A  (again depending on your actual panel specs).

You want to make sure that the open load for the panels doesn't exceed your MPPT inverters input.

My suggestion - before you do anything, give us more details on the equipment.

Okay Thank you, I will check all this and revert.