Grid Tied inverter tripping prepaid meter

Axeman

Hi Guys iam new here and new to solar i recently had an Alpha Ess -Smile 5 with a 10.1KW battery and 14x 355w panels  installed . When connected to my Eskom supply it kept tripping out the prepaid meter.

I did some research and seems to be a common problem contacted Eskom and it is a process to register with Nersa and do the SSEG but they would want to replace the meter with a bi directional one and not prepaid they said . Personally i dont care to feed back to the grid i would just like my grid tied system to supply my household and all the benefits thereof .

Currently i have TV computers,Fridges microwave, lights etc connected to the backup side of inverter and only left with Washing machine tumble dryer swimming pool borehole,Aircon running of Eskom .

My Geysers are solar and my stove/oven is gas  so i am not left with much to power in the greater scheme of things ,was wondering if i could power my current Alpha inverter with another inverter instead of Eskom ( Say another 5KW inverter with batteries connected to my current solar panels .) to replace my current Eskom connection then i would technically be off grid. Just concerned that if the Alpha feeds a bit of power back to my second inverter if that would be a problem . 

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

I'm assuming the prepaid meter is tripping because the inverter is feeding back into the grid - have you checked your settings? Not familiar with the setup you have so not really sure where to start there.

Where abouts are you based? In CPT there are different options to feed back, not feed back etc into the grid.

Hi iops yes feedback is causing the meter to trip even though the inverter is set to zero feedback to the grid but as loads switch of spikes end up tripping the meter .

Eskom reluctant to assist as they want me to do SSEG application .

Could I not power my current grid tied inverter with another inverter as not to use Eskom .

Based in CT 

Thanks 

Andrew

Had similar issues, when a larger load/appliance switches on or off it'll still feedback back a little bit into the grid. On Victron systems you try and compensate for this by setting a grid setpoint, mine's currently on 50W and hardly feeds back. Saying that, I had my meter replaced not too long ago.

I logged a fault with the CoCT, they arrived an hour later and I just asked the guy to replace the meter. No issues since.

Ultimately the fix is to register as an SSEG though.

Do you have any settings on your inverter to constantly pull a certain amount from the grid? That may be a good stopgap solution.