I am running off grid. I have a separate panel, batteries and a charge controller that I want to run some 12v garden lighting and a small 12v garden pond fountain pump off. I am unsure of what cable to use between the batteries and the lights/pump. 

Lights - no more than 20w LEDs, probably 10w, two of them at most. 

Pump - 12v 12w pump. 

Distance - batteries to pond is about 20m one way. 

I have an inkling of an idea about voltage losses etc but am looking to do this the most cost effective, but obviously safe, way. What is the smallest cable size I can safely use?

I will need to go across the garden so I will need to bury the cable. Will basic white 25mm conduit suffice or is there a better way? 

6 minutes ago, FixAMess said:

Here is a nice chart that shows cable sizing...

Thank you, I've been checking out a few online charts and calculators but ended up just confusing myself more 😂

I started wondering whether I need to add the amps from the two lights and pumps, and then confused myself with seriew vs parallel, then I got an idea of cable size and then got caught up on ripcord vs cabtyre vs surfix (??). Then I started concerning myself with earthing... 

Hoped someone might just say get this size and this is what it's called 😁

Edit: I see that chart also doesn't mention actual cable sizes. I presume there is a key missing? 

Edited by ClintZA
On 2020/09/30 at 12:45 PM, ClintZA said:

12v garden lighting and a small 12v garden pond fountain pump off

IMO 1.5mm surfix for lights and 2.5mm surfix for pump (if you only running small pump and nothing else in future 1.5mm should be fine) all in conduit piping as you mentioned 20mm should be fine

Edited by Quwatush Shams (Suly)
23 minutes ago, Quwatush Shams (Suly) said:

IMO 1.5mm surfix for lights and 2.5mm surfix for pump (if you only running small pump and nothing else in future 1.5mm should be fine) all in conduit piping as you mentioned 20mm should be fine

Thank you. The lights and pump would be in the same place, would it be necessary to run a 1.5mm and 2.5mm or could I run one cable and have both lights and pump running off there?