Increasing Solar Panels

Paul Vermeulen

I recently upgraded our batteries to 14kW of Lithium Ion Pylontech batteries, a brilliant move. However now with my ICC Software I can see that I can add lots more Solar Panels. One inverter uses 12 x 27V 250W Panels and the other 10 x 36V 310W Panels. Can you just add to them or do they have to be exactly the same? I have checked my Inverter Chargers they can take up to 50A and maximum of 105V on the Solar. At the moment we easily get through the night if the sun shines, I would like to add panels rather than get another inverter for winter. Please advise?

20201008_180702 (3).jpg

10 hours ago, Bloubul7 said:

Just a question, why do you want to add more panels?  Currently your system idles from 13h00 onwards.  

To add to that, while the solar power idle during the day, already on this graph the battery capacity is not sufficient to carry you through the evening, running out and switching to grid at around 4am. Perhaps the best thing is to ask what of the evening loads can be shifted to the daytime so you don't have to draw that 2kwh from Eskom? One laundry load on a timer? Divert solar power to heating the geyser? Or possibly find ways to use power more efficiently at night?

If you're adding for winter, mixing is not ideal. Panels should be ideally the same or very closely matched, or you won't see the rated performance being delivered by the higher-powered panels.

The reason that the batteries ran out at 4am is because it was overcast the previous day. I have found that the batteries reach 100% at this time of year at about 4pm, in winter they only get to about 80% with the reduced solar. I believe that the extra few kW of solar power will charge the batteries fully in winter. I have 2 of the 250W 27V panels that I can use, and I believe that the 310W panels are still available so I will buy a few more to get the system up to full capacity.