1620w worth of panels producing a maximum of 1000w.

9 hours ago, Vassen said:

Oops. Didn’t notice the armored cable part. 
Second column though specifies AC or DC so it’s not just 220V  

My extract of the standard does not include unarmoured cable less than 16mm. 

See voltex lists the 6mm Gp wire as rated for 45A. Solar cable is rubber insulated so should be the same if not better. 

No, 6mm GP cable is rated at 45A for 220V.  Delivery 45A at 24V is a whole different ball game

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess that’s why places like this are so important where people offer advice based on own experience without actually having any vested interest in what you buy. 

1. Correct 2. Correct Additional items, check to ensure that you have an inline fuses close to panels as well

There is a ton of information available on various platforms on the internet with regards to anything that one needs to do.    Whenever I need to do anything at home, I will always try to resea

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Coulomb said:

Fair point; I was confusing one panel's rated current x 6 with what-3-panels-already-produced times 2. Can you try the other set of 3 panels to see if they also (by themselves) produce ≈24 A? Maybe they have issues with orientation, loose connection, etc.

I would think that if the cable gets warm, that means you're losing some power in the cables, but you probably will not get that power anyway because of the voltage mismatch between the battery voltage and the ideal voltage for the panels to produce power. You either lose the power in the cable or the panels. So I don't think the wiring is a big issue, unless there is some sort of wiring fault.

Actually, there will be a small effect from the battery voltage rising: when the battery voltage is low, the panels will produce closer to Isc than Imppt. Usually Isc is a little (~6%) higher than Imppt, so higher panel voltage means slightly less panel current (but higher power, until Vmppt is reached). But I'd expect that to be a small effect (≈3%). 

I test both sets of 3 panels. They produced EXACTLY the same amount. 

2 hours ago, Bloubul7 said:

6mm GP cable is rated at 45A for 220V.  Delivery 45A at 24V is a whole different ball game

? It's the same (or very close, ignoring skin effect) for AC or DC as far as heating is concerned (will the cable catch fire). Of course, any voltage drop is proportionally 7x more significant, but as others have noted, you can stand several volts of drop with a PWM system and not lose any extra efficiency. In a sense, there is enough inefficiency baked in already to swamp any inefficiency due to cable voltage drop.

9 minutes ago, profa said:

I test both sets of 3 panels. They produced EXACTLY the same amount. 

Ok. So unless you are getting a really large voltage drop (perhaps 5 V or more, 2.5 V per side), then it seems to me it has to be the inverter limiting the power somehow.

Maybe the inverter can't actually handle the advertised 50 A. I'd suggest heating as a potential issue, but surely you'd see the expected ~48 A at least for the first few minutes, before any electronics has a chance to heat up.

Edited by Coulomb
advertised 60 A → advertised 50 A
1 minute ago, Coulomb said:

Ok. So unless you are getting a really large voltage drop (perhaps 5 V or more, 2.5 V per side), then it seems to me it has to be the inverter limiting the power somehow.

Maybe the inverter can't actually handle the advertised 60 A. I'd suggest heating as a potential issue, but surely you'd see the expected ~48 A at least for the first few minutes, before any electronics has a chance to heat up.

it produced the 24 amps at 25 volts which is much less than the 27-28 it does when all 6 panels are connected. not sure if that matters?

so you no longer suspect the cable thickness and its length as the problem? 

the inverter is rated at 50amp (max 80 amp) not 60 by the way for the panels.