Thank you for the great forum, Safe Driving over the weekend. Sincerely Jason

I don't have a problem with 2200w kettle but only after 10am. Between 8-10 when is time for the second coffee my system can't handle and we don't have a gas stove

Yeah and the idea of a flask means it might still be warm enough.

Please let me know if some tests it out how good it actually is.

I currently swap over to Eskom when I want to boil it, don't like hitting my bank like that (current kettle uses 2300w)

Has anyone looked at the Bennett Read flask type kettles? The one I

Had some years ago was a 750watt heating element and was basically a 2 liter pump

Flask - like the ones you see at functions push button on top

Which forces air in and water out spout. Got it at makro there were two capacity units back then. Not sure of still on the market?

Can also try a 12v kettle (150w) 450ml so two cups of coffee/tea. Been using a setup 2x 80watt PV's , 100Ah Batt add plus with 12v car USB charger phones/tables are also charged :)

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, ibiza said:

3-4 minutes for two cups. Basically double the time of the old 2.2KW kettle

Now get yourself a good quality flask boil it at 3-4PM and enjoy your free coffee at night

3 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

such as?

I would say Stanley Vacuum flasks are some of the best but real expensive, but even the el cheepos hold's it hot enough for 4-6 hours to drink coffee

27 minutes ago, viper_za said:

I would say Stanley Vacuum flasks are some of the best but real expensive, but even the el cheepos hold's it hot enough for 4-6 hours to drink coffee

interesting. So when the panels don't have enough energy at about 16:30, the water will still be warm by about 8PM. That's two or three free cups of coffe! ;)

I wonder if I can convince the missus to use it?

Which one do you use?

11 hours ago, SilverNodashi said:

Which one do you use?

I'm using a cheap non Stainless steel one. (Think it was like R150) and this does the job for 4-6 hours.
Secret is adding a little hot water first to let the inner chamber heat up first then add the boiling water after.

These flask are claimed to to keep hot or cold for 24hours.
http://www.thermosflasks.co.za/thermos-store/thermos-flasks/2lt-stainless-king-flask-detail
If I can get only 12hours that's free morning coffee too, but the price :mellow:

Late response - But I wanted to make sure I was accurate:

I bought a Sunbeam 1.35Kw Kettle from Binuns for around R360, including delivery. It is a Stainless Steel, with a basic thermal "semi-vacuum" outer. It keeps water at decent heat for at least an hour after boiling and the lower wattage has had no difference to the people using it (4min vs 8min). It takes longer to boil because it is not a 2+ Kw kettle that you find on all shelves at most stores...

My Batteries would have a heart attack every time kettle used to be turned on, just because of high draw, so this saved me.

As an aside: Simple rule (applies to geysers as well) +- 2seconds/KiloWatt/Degree... Best thing I ever learned - Applies to almost every heating element.

Kleva, why would you use calcium batts to boil water? Eskom is cheaper.

12 minutes ago, viper_za said:

convenience

Jip, that makes a whole lot of sense till your batts die on you and you need to replace them as per Kleva's post on the other thread. ;)

It's the same story as when wife turns on hairdryer while invertor on, nobody other than me checks or gives a damn. But a smaller element running for a longer time has less of a damaging effect on the batteries (remember the difference in your C5 C10 C20 rates?). Still need decent batteries though, but budget is now completely shot - bought a microlight to continue my flying (so all money going there for the moment).

On 6/3/2016 at 10:57 AM, ibiza said:

I don't have a problem with 2200w kettle but only after 10am. Between 8-10 when is time for the second coffee my system can't handle and we don't have a gas stove

Perhaps you can use the 2.2Kw kettle now?